Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Las Vegas Summer League Thread (Raptors Get Great Reviews, See Pg. 8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESPN Daily Recap from Day 8 (Toronto vs Sacramento)

Ed Davis showed off his big bag of tricks against Sacramento: 17 points, seven rebounds and five swats in 29 minutes. Comfort (or lack thereof) is a condition so often used to describe young big men in summer league, and Davis was as settled and poised as any of the lottery bigs on Friday. He exhibited timing, a soft touch and fluidness on both sides of the ball and, above all, patience. Davis rarely takes an ill-advised shot and stays grounded defensively until a shot-blocking opportunity presents itself.

There aren't two guys in Las Vegas who love playing together more than DeMar DeRozan and Sonny Weems. On every break, each knows what the other's intentions are. At times, they make beautiful music together.

Aside from hitting the glass and the occasionally effective defensive stand one-on-one in the post, it's hard to find a sphere of the game where Joey Dorsey helps his team win basketball games. He's more likely to trap himself too far beneath the backboard than he is to get off a quality shot at close range.

---

I really like the young core of Bargnani/Johnson/DeRozan/Weems/Davis, they all seem to be solid players, with overall strong basketball IQ and an unselish mentality on the court. This upcoming year is dependent on what other moves BC makes, but I think the future is looking as bright as ever for the Raptors!

Comment

Nice recap. BC was spitting his everyone aska about Bargnani in trades propaganda during his interview- trade Barg's then!!lol I'm tired of BC's played out steez as Raptor GM time for some new leadership, ideas and visions.

Rap's keep winning- too bad it's only summer league but better to win than lose. Ed Davis needs to hit the weight room from now until training camp and keep on working out daily but he will be fun to watch come November. BBrown looks to be a candidate for the the 3rd pg spot should the Rap's eventually trade away a pg or 2. Alabi is at least 2 years away from being able to hold his own against NBA caliber Big Men, send him to Europe or NBDL for a couple of years as the newly acquired DJohnson aka no offense, & Dorsey are currently much better center prospects than Alabi.

Cousin's is a man child and would look really good in NJ, Minny or Philly right now. Sac got one of the steals of this draft as DMC is much more NBA ready than the more athletic Favors. Although DMC plays below the rim his body is his best weapon to gain leverage against taller, more athletic players.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        4. Alabi - Another excellent game on both ends of the court. This guy continues to impress me at both ends of the court. If he has a good October I can see him being part of the regular rotation come November.
        Alabi is SO overrated on these forums. He can't catch, let alone finish. He doesn't jump for rebounds, nor contest shots. He avoids all contact. He has a nice 15 footer...that's about it.
        Joshua Priemski
        NBA blogger
        SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
        www.RufusOnFire.com/
        www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

Yesterday Belinelli Bargs 22 and 25 points in 30 minutes with the friendly national

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
            Nice recap. BC was spitting his everyone aska about Bargnani in trades propaganda during his interview- trade Barg's then!!lol I'm tired of BC's played out steez as Raptor GM time for some new leadership, ideas and visions.
            I don't think I understood anything you said there.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Introcollapse wrote: View Post
              Alabi is SO overrated on these forums. He can't catch, let alone finish. He doesn't jump for rebounds, nor contest shots. He avoids all contact. He has a nice 15 footer...that's about it.
              I think eveyone knows he is a project but he has upside to him. I have seen a few times during the summer league they sent a double team over just because alabi is 7 foot. He needs the gym for sure. jermaine o'neal was just as skinny as him when he first joined the league back in his Portland days. I really would like to see what Francesco Cuzzolin can do with alabi and Davis.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                I think eveyone knows he is a project but he has upside to him. I have seen a few times during the summer league they sent a double team over just because alabi is 7 foot. He needs the gym for sure. jermaine o'neal was just as skinny as him when he first joined the league back in his Portland days. I really would like to see what Francesco Cuzzolin can do with alabi and Davis.
                My only issue is that you can't teach hands. They either have it or they don't. Alabi doesn't. If he can't catch or secure the ball, he's basically a space eater and nothing more. It's frustrating.
                Joshua Priemski
                NBA blogger
                SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                www.RufusOnFire.com/
                www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

Where the hell did Cheikh Samb (C) come from? O_o

He has 9 points 5 blocks 3 rebounds played 15 min 41 sec (4 min left in the 3rd)

Edit: He has 19 points (8-11 FG, 3-4 FT) 7 blocks and 6 rebounds in 19 min and 39 sec. 2 min 38 sec left in the game.

WHERE DID HE COME FROM?!
                  Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sat Jul 17, 2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                    Where the hell did Cheikh Samb (C) come from? O_o

He has 9 points 5 blocks 3 rebounds played 15 min 41 sec (4 min left in the 3rd)

Edit: He has 19 points (8-11 FG, 3-4 FT) 7 blocks and 6 rebounds in 19 min and 39 sec. 2 min 38 sec left in the game.

WHERE DID HE COME FROM?!
                    He is from Senegal

He is friends with Johnson from their Pistons days and friends with Weems from Denver. He won't make the team but he is fun to watch. I hope he winds up back in the D-league this season because their televised games are easy to access if you live in CA.
                    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Jul 17, 2010, 09:52 PM.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Arenick wrote: View Post
                      Derozan's game seems to be highly improved. Anyone know what he's been doing over the summer? His jumper looks fluid and not robotic-like, as it was last year.
                      summer league. i think he (they) have alot more confidence over the other teams. i know he wasnt afraid to run to the basket last year during regular season, but the plays and games as a whole are obviously more relaxing and less important than regular season games.

Comment

During a brief stint in the first half, Raptors' rookie center Solomon Alabi drained a right-handed jump hook in the lane over Craig Brackins, a face-up 18-footer, then picked up a loose ball and finished with his left hand in traffic with a little flip.
                        Source: ESPN.com

Comment

Alabi had probably his worst game yesterday. Seriously, he had no lift in his legs. His legs were shot. He was playing defense with his hands not running the court well. I think the four games in five days got to him.

Something to watch for during the season, though I doubt he will get heavy minutes unless an emergency comes up.
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Yeah, hopefully in year one he won't be called on very often to play. At least he got a taste of what a pro schedule can look like when you're a guy in the regular rotation.

Comment

VSL Winners/Losers

WINNER: Toronto Raptors

Chris Bosh is gone, but the Raptors might have found a younger version of him in first-round pick Ed Davis. Expect the skilled Davis to be a force for the Raptors once he adds muscle to his slender 6-10, 227-pound frame.

Swingmen DeMar DeRozan and Sonny Weems also showed their athleticism and versatility in Las Vegas.
                              Source: Yahoo Sports

Comment

Working...
                              X