Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Las Vegas Summer League Thread (Raptors Get Great Reviews, See Pg. 8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ #6, Ed Davis

Ed Davis' debut with the Raptors was a good one. Davis had 15 points and eight rebounds and looked comfortable playing alongside returning Raptors DeMar DeRozan and Sonny Weems. He's not going to be Chris Bosh, but, with time, he'll be just fine.
    -- July 10, 5:23 p.m. PT
    Source: "Rookie Ladder", NBA.com

Comment

Raptors run away from Suns in Summer League action

Posted Saturday July 10, 2010 6:48PM

LAS VEGAS - -- The Toronto Raptors (1-0) cruised to an easy 103-69 victory over the Phoenix Suns (0-2) in their first game at the NBA Summer League Saturday afternoon from UNLV's Cox Pavilion in Las Vegas. After a brief 2-2 stalemate at the start of the contest, Toronto never trailed nor looked back building a double-digit cushion just three minutes into the game before heading into the half ahead by 20 and eventually winning by 34.

Toronto's victory was greatly aided by its offense shooting 51.5 percent (17-for-33) in the first half. Phoenix fell behind primarily due its paltry effort on the offensive end. The Suns shot 23.7 percent (9-for-38) in the first 20 minutes. They at least improved upon the 11.1 percent average they were shooting in the final minutes of the first quarter.

For the game, the Raptors shot 56.1 percent (37-for-66) to the Suns' 32.4 percent (24-for-74).

Toronto had a six-pack of players hit the double-digit point plateau with Sonny Weems leading the charge with his 19 tallies. DeMar DeRozan and Ed Davis followed closely behind with 16 and 15 points, respectively. Bobby Brown and Ronald Dupree each had 11, while Michael Roll added 10 points, while only playing in the fourth frame.

"We're a young team and have a good coaching staff," noted Ed Davis, the Raptors first round draft pick (13 overall) in the 2010 NBA Draft. "We just want to play and show out potential."

Phoenix was paced by 18 points from Gani Lawal, who hit 14 points in last night's loss to the Houston Rockets. Earl Clark, who had 14 on Friday, one-upped himself with 15 today. Shaun Pruitt rounded out the trio of double-digit scorers for the Suns with 10 points.

Unfortunately, both teams owned the distinction of making more free throws than field goals for a good amount of the game. Toronto's made field goals surpassed its successful free throws late in the first half, while Phoenix had to wait until the middle of the fourth for the flip to occur.

Phoenix is back in action on Monday evening (July 12) at 5:30 pm when they face the NBA D-League Select in the Thomas & Mack Center. Toronto has a two-day break before returning on Tuesday (July 13) with a 3:30 pm affair with the Houston Rockets in the TMC.
      Source: NBA.com

Comment

Comment

http://www.atdhe.net/20426/watch-hou...oronto-raptors

Starts @ 6:30PM EST

Comment

DeRozan is off to a great start. Showing an improved jumper and some good defensive recovery.

Comment

Weems and DD, back to back alley oops - taking turns. Awesome. They're tearing it up.

Weems looks like he's bringing the ball up the court regularly too.

One bad pullup 3 without a pass though.
              Last edited by Mess; Tue Jul 13, 2010, 07:05 PM.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

http://cache.nba.com/summerleague/ga.../gameinfo.html

Stats

Comment

what the hell y did it freeze

Comment

Dorsey looks like he's carving out a spot for himself out there alright. The question is: whose minutes will he be taking? Alabi? Davis? Amir? Other?

Comment

JYFelony wrote: View Post
                      Dorsey looks like he's carving out a spot for himself out there alright. The question is: whose minutes will he be taking? Alabi? Davis? Amir? Other?
                      He's been dominant in every sub-NBA format - college, d-league, summer league, and yet can't even stick as a depth role-player in the NBA. But I'm rooting for him to succeed. I think he could be a younger, cheaper, less-injured Reggie Evans for us: undersized but physical guy who comes in and bangs hard for 5-8 minutes a game, and who's only role on offense is to crash boards and pass it back out.

Comment

Toronto 100, Houston 91

DeMar DeRozan still lacks range from three-point land and didn't know what to do with the basketball at the top of the key when his teammates failed to get open. He did, however, look tremendous on a fast break dunk and used a great pump-fake to get a defender in the air. He then leaned in to draw a foul while making a tough shot.

Ed Davis didn't get himself in position for many rebounds, something that could be troublesome if Toronto looks for him to help collect some of the misses that Chris Bosh used to handle.
                        Source: RealGM.com

Comment

Game #2 vs Rockets
                          -------------

I watched this one.

1. Dorsey - Strong, good hands, good nose for the ball. Out hustled and out fought more than one Rockets player more than a couple of times for the rebound. Similar to Evans but younger and stronger. Dosey should make the roster in November and there is a good chance that he could wind up getting some regular rotation minutes.

2. Alabi - As advertised. Was good on the offensive glass and showed a nice shooting touch including at the free throw line. Did not look like a very good rebounder on the defensive end. Needs to add strength

3. Davis - Looked like a total project - The first thing one notices about him is that he will get pushed around something horrible in the NBA until he does some serious bulking up. Showed a good nose for the ball on the defensive glass. His entire post defense consists of blocking shots. On the offense he had one nice spin move drive to the basket from the left elbow. That was it. His entire offense consists of dribbling left and trying to get to the basket for a layup. Big disappointment. This kid is not close to being able to play serious NBA minutes of any kind.

4. - Weems - Showed excellent handles including one very nice dribble drive cross over for a bucket. Of course he can still leap and run.

5. - DeRozan - Outstanding to say the least. - He showed a good aggressiveness far more so than last season, a significantly improved mid-range game, added strength allowing him to get inside get fouled and finish and of course his exceptional athleticism. He did a nice job on defense. By far the best Raptors player and player period in the game. Raptors have three more LVSL games left. However at this point I think it is safe to say that 15 - 20 points a game for him 2010-11 would not be over estimating what he will get on the offense.

6. Dee Brown - Looked a little bit like Iverson when Iverson had the corn rows. While he may not be the blur he once was he is still plenty quick.
                          Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Jul 14, 2010, 12:06 PM.
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Add Ed Davis
                            -----------------------

1. I know it was only his second game in over 5 months however he looked really bad in defensive transition. Often lagging the play and his man by 15-25 feet once the Rockets had pushed the ball into their front court. I don't know if he is still not in condition or he was out of position on offense or it was just lack of effort. Hopefully it was the first. We will find out soon enough.

2. It is clear that even though he appears to be a good defensive rebounder and shot blocker his game is below the rim more than I expected. Again this could be a lack of conditioning however, in the N.C. video of him it appears that he does not play above the rim but more like at it or below except when blocking shots.

3. Patterson took him too school way too often.
                            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

nice analysis baddahfan, I seen alabi over extented too much on the pick and roll defense a few times. Would rather see him stay at home more.

Comment

Weems This is more than Belinelli

Comment

Working...
                                X