Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Smith: Bosh is a Flake

So what of Bosh?

He’s been the flake in all this with goofy twitter bulletins about his thoughts about interviewing and psychological angst. And this guy was recruited in high school. What must that have been like?

He’s wanted the sign-and-trade for the six-year deal, and the Bulls and Heat would have a shot if Toronto truly only wants draft picks and cash. But other teams can get in with bigger players, and Bosh has been something less than the most committed competitor.

If you are Bosh and believe you deserve a maximum salary, how the heck do you miss the playoffs twice in a row with a pretty good roster that the general manager said was a 50-win team entering this past season?

That said, I’d still take him if I were the Bulls, even without James or Wade. Look, the reality is there are about five or six players in the entire NBA truly worth a “max’ deal and two players in this class, James and Wade.

This is the talent that plays today, so you have to take the best you can and pay. It’s a players’ market with more teams spending than players to spend the money on. Teams and fans have to get over that.
    Bulls.com

Sam Smith makes a lot of sense, for once. Let's trade him for Doug.

Comment

Sadly, Sam Smith couldn't be more right. Bosh and his ego are his own worst enemy at the moment. It's a shame.

Comment

What "pretty good roster"? Colangelo could preach 60 wins, does it matter?

Comment

Realist wrote: View Post
          Sam Smith makes a lot of sense, for once. Let's trade him for Doug.
          No way, unless they throw in Chuck, too

Comment

I disagree with two things in the article:

1) The Raptors without Bosh are a "pretty good team." I suppose we'll see in the upcoming season, but I would rate the Raptors-sans-Bosh just a little above the Heat-sans-Wade. And yes, that means Wade is much better than Bosh.

2) There are only "five or six" max guys. That's crazy. You can't look at it as though since it's the max you can give some one only the top players are worth it. The top players are worth far more than the max. Lebron James would get more money per season than Alex Rodriguez if there were no max contract.

So if you think, say, Lebron is worth about 35 million, suddenly a list of guys "worth" $17-20 million looks a lot bigger. Furthermore, once you consider the salary cap and bird rights, a lot of the "bad maxes" make a lot more sense, like Joe Johnson. And sometimes when a team has a ton of cap space, but no "true max" guy, giving a max to a near-max guy who will help you contend, like Rashard Lewis, is a no-brainer.

Sam Smith gets that, I think. That's what the last couple lines in the quote are about. But Bosh is really worth a max to just about any team.

Comment

Jack of Arcades wrote: View Post
              I disagree with two things in the article:

1) The Raptors without Bosh are a "pretty good team." I suppose we'll see in the upcoming season, but I would rate the Raptors-sans-Bosh just a little above the Heat-sans-Wade. And yes, that means Wade is much better than Bosh.

2) There are only "five or six" max guys. That's crazy. You can't look at it as though since it's the max you can give some one only the top players are worth it. The top players are worth far more than the max. Lebron James would get more money per season than Alex Rodriguez if there were no max contract.

So if you think, say, Lebron is worth about 35 million, suddenly a list of guys "worth" $17-20 million looks a lot bigger. Furthermore, once you consider the salary cap and bird rights, a lot of the "bad maxes" make a lot more sense, like Joe Johnson. And sometimes when a team has a ton of cap space, but no "true max" guy, giving a max to a near-max guy who will help you contend, like Rashard Lewis, is a no-brainer.

Sam Smith gets that, I think. That's what the last couple lines in the quote are about. But Bosh is really worth a max to just about any team.
              Welcome. You make a lot of sense, which often doesn't fit in well here. I'd also like to add the fact that Rudy Gay, who has never once made an All-Star team, is now making the max.

I'd also question how many Raptor games Sam Smith won? His comment about Bosh not being a competitor is false. Bosh is a competitor, he's just not a great leader. He desperately wants to win, though, and anyone who says differently has not watch Bosh very much.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I didn't agree with the *Grizzlies* maxing Rudy Gay. I don't think keeping that core together is worthwhile and they might have had a shot to get something in a trade that would make them a playoff team. Of course, they're really pushing hard to make the playoffs, which would be wonderful for them, so perhaps they didn't want to delay success. Plus, Gay is pretty young, so having him tied up can't be too awful.

A team like the Bulls or Knicks would have been correct to max him, I think, assuming they struck out with everything else. Otherwise they'd be looking at stuff like $10m/yr for Haywood or $7m/yr for Mike MIller, etc.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  Welcome. You make a lot of sense, which often doesn't fit in well here. I'd also like to add the fact that Rudy Gay, who has never once made an All-Star team, is now making the max.

I'd also question how many Raptor games Sam Smith won? His comment about Bosh not being a competitor is false. Bosh is a competitor, he's just not a great leader. He desperately wants to win, though, and anyone who says differently has not watch Bosh very much.
                  He sure wants to win, but at what cost? Some people are saying he truly doesn't want to win because right now his main focus is money. And it's hard to say he REALLY wants to win when he turned down playing with LeBron and Wade because they didn't offer him the extra 25-30million.

I don't think the question is whether he wants to win, but whether he wants to give up being "the man" in order to do it. He hasn't proven he's capable of being "the man" either.

Comment

The easiest solution for Bosh is to go to the Rockets. They can (with the raptors) give the full Max contract, give him a great chance to win, and to be the Man.

Still that would be to logical for any free agent.

Comment

Bosh wouldn't be the Man in Houston - Yao will always be the man. As long as Yao's healthy he's option number 1 on offense.

Comment

Jack of Arcades wrote: View Post
                        Bosh wouldn't be the Man in Houston - Yao will always be the man. As long as Yao's healthy he's option number 1 on offense.
                        i don't know abut that they are pretty high on bosh he'd be theri number one.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

ya fire doug smith hire sam smith
                          ya dun noe

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                            i don't know abut that they are pretty high on bosh he'd be theri number one.
                            it will always be yao he is the reason the rockets are such a famous team in china and amongst the asians yao has made the rockets famous
                            ya dun noe

Comment

When healthy, I believe Yao is a better offensive player than Bosh. But the Rockets might be interested in having Yao take a smaller load in the regular season.

Comment

Working...
                              X