No announcement yet.

What's Worse? Losing Bosh or Colangelo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colangelo is just what we, and MLSE, asked for. We don't want to troll the bottom ofthe league rebuilding so we try to take a shot each year. In the process, the Leafs and Raps finish just out of the playoffs most years. In the last 7 years, they are 2 for 14 tries. So, we get BC trying to please Bosh the way that Grunweld did Carter, and both were unsuccessful.
    What BC is good at is finding a way to get something interesting done. Hedo was interesting, at the time. This year, he might get a huge trade exception for Bosh and reload with a bunch of new faces, though without any stars. He finds himself room to stay in the game. You have to admit, the GM moves have been more interesting than the team in the time that BC has been here. Don't count him out yet! With a trade exception, he can overpay for a few more guys. If he manages to get Noah out of the Bulls, we'll think of it as a great success. I'd personally like him to take Noah and Deng. He'll find a way to dump Hedo down the line. Maybe by agreeing to take Deng, he'll get Noah and the Bulls will just sign Haywood or someone else. That will let the Bulls grab Bosh and James as well as Haywood. We get Noah, Deng, and we are considerably better. Deng is going to come back healthy this year and be an 18 and 8 player. I'd even move Jack with Bosh if that helped, though the Bulls won't want the salary. I am a Jose fan, so I am in denial about Jack being a better overall player.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      The draft was weak but he had the #1 pick and there were a bunch of nice player coming out. I'm not dissing the pick overall, I'm just stating the fact that he entered into a good situation because someone else in here said otherwise.

As for the cap:
      They entered the summer of 2006 at $35,954,855 and the cap that year was $53,135,000. That's $17.18M in cap space. So I was off a little but that's a lot closer to $20M than $12M.

Source:
      http://web.archive.org - "HoopsHype.com" NBA.com
      The Hoopshype link is not entirely accurate. First of all, it doesn't take into consideration the cap hold the 1st overall pick has. And Pap Sow's salary isn't on there. I'm pretty sure it was at the most $12 million, because I remember that Anthony Parker and Garbajosa's salaries pretty much ate it all up, and they were signed for about $4.5 million each, I recall correctly.

As for the draft, not all #1 picks are the same, and I think you know it. If they had gotten the #1 pick 2 or 3 years before, then the franchise would certainly not be in the straits they are in right now. You say there were a number of nice players coming out, but realistically, how many choices were there? Of the top ten players drafted, HALF didn't even have their option picked up, meaning they're not even worth what their rookie contract is paying them. That is certainly not the sign of a strong draft.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

[QUOTE=EaseMyPain;25822]Colangelo is just Don't count him out yet! With a trade exception, he can overpay for a few more guys. If he manages to get Noah out of the Bulls, we'll think of it as a great success. I'd personally like him to take Noah and Deng. He'll find a way to dump Hedo down the line. Maybe by agreeing to take Deng, he'll get Noah and the Bulls will just sign Haywood or someone else.

wow !!

maybe we can trade jose for cp3 and 5 1st round draft picks ??
        then trade bargs for dwight

dude lay off the bud !

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Kevin Pritchard just hit the market. I'm not a huge fan but he's done a lot more in recent years than Bryan.
          I'd be shocked if the Raptors hired Pritchard. It's not exactly a case of them thinking they can do a better job managing his ego than his previous owner. If he wants to be a senior analyst/scout, sure, but I'd be shocked if any team hired him as GM this off-season.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            I'm pretty sure it was at the most $12 million, because I remember that Anthony Parker and Garbajosa's salaries pretty much ate it all up, and they were signed for about $4.5 million each, I recall correctly.
            If we count Bargnani's cap hold, and there's absolutely no reason not to if we're talking about cap space here, it pretty much puts us at the $12 mil figure. The only way we had $17 mil cap space that off-season is if after drafting Bargnani, we decided not to sign him, which is simply absurd.

The situation BC came into certainly was not a bad one, and should definitely be classified as a good situation. At the same time, it wasn't as slam dunk as having the #1 draft pick in almost any other year. Certainly, he should be criticized for not bringing about the success he was tasked with, but it wasn't like he overlooked Durant and then busted on the FA market.

That off-season was a pretty good one, and to always fall back on the strength (or lack thereof) of our division is a huge cop-out. While other teams in our division had a combined -10 win shift (almost all of it was NJ), we had a +20 win shift, so we were still beating teams outside of our division. The point remains that even if we got a few free wins that season, we were still winning a lot of games that we would have lost the season prior. If anything, the problem was our quick reversal in the standings. The high expectations combined with Garbajosa's absence turned the team into a mediocre one intent on quick fixes.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
              If we count Bargnani's cap hold, and there's absolutely no reason not to if we're talking about cap space here, it pretty much puts us at the $12 mil figure. The only way we had $17 mil cap space that off-season is if after drafting Bargnani, we decided not to sign him, which is simply absurd.

The situation BC came into certainly was not a bad one, and should definitely be classified as a good situation. At the same time, it wasn't as slam dunk as having the #1 draft pick in almost any other year. Certainly, he should be criticized for not bringing about the success he was tasked with, but it wasn't like he overlooked Durant and then busted on the FA market.

That off-season was a pretty good one, and to always fall back on the strength (or lack thereof) of our division is a huge cop-out. While other teams in our division had a combined -10 win shift (almost all of it was NJ), we had a +20 win shift, so we were still beating teams outside of our division. The point remains that even if we got a few free wins that season, we were still winning a lot of games that we would have lost the season prior. If anything, the problem was our quick reversal in the standings. The high expectations combined with Garbajosa's absence turned the team into a mediocre one intent on quick fixes.
              I think there are a lot of good points made here, and I think it illustrates some of the problems BC has had that were not his fault. Garbo going down was definitely a huge shot for us since he was probably one of our best prospects that season before he went down. Then you look at the point guard debacle with T.J. not being able to take coming off the bench and then we had an over paid Jason Kapono who regressed and became a shadow of himself. While some of the problems with this franchise can be blamed on BC I think a lot of them are just cases of bad luck and I think it is unfair to blame it all on BC. Let's give him a season or two more to see if he can turn this thing around.
              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Working...
              X