Too many europeans on this team ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL, close but no.

In the 1997–1998 season, Carter served as an assistant coach for the Toronto Raptors under Darrell Walker. He was promoted to the head coach position mid-way through the 1997–1998 season after Walker led the team to a franchise low (11-38) record. Carter finished the remainder of the season with a (5-28) record.[1] During the shortened 1998-99 NBA season, Carter coached the Raptors to a (23-27) record, improving the team's winning percentage by .308 from the all-time franchise low (16-66) season. The second year also brought upon talent and scoring power from NBA All-Star Vince Carter, who played his rookie year on Carter's roster.[2] In the 1999-2000 season, Carter coached the Raptors to their first winning season, with a (45 - 37) record, resulting in the team's first playoff appearance. Carter's turnaround of the Raptors from a franchise-worst dismal (16-66) record to a (45-37) record and a playoff berth in two and a half seasons was a great success. However, the playoff berth was short lived as the Raptors were eliminated in the first round by the Knicks.

Comment

rdiaz101 wrote: View Post
      Maybe im looking into it too much but i have seen euro league games and its high scoring, lots of threes, up and down the court not really much defense. It's like all those teams know thats the games are going to be like that , sounds great but tell that to Celtics !!
      Doh. This is fun, considering that most Europeans don't like NBA games because they say that they don't play any defence (excluding, maybe, a few play-off games).
      And no, hard fouls are not good defence...

Ciao,
      Davide.

Comment

In the the leagues overseas what is considered a foul is far different than what is called in the NBA. Players in the overseas leagues have to take a lot more punishment because of it. A lot of teams play zone over there and as such it strikes me as odd that Jay has so much trouble with zone... Maybe is because he "can't find time to practice it"?

Comment

morci wrote: View Post
          Doh. This is fun, considering that most Europeans don't like NBA games because they say that they don't play any defence (excluding, maybe, a few play-off games).
          And no, hard fouls are not good defence...

Ciao,
          Davide.
          Davide,

That does not explain the struggle that top Euroleague players have with defense when they come to play in the NBA.

Comment

trizzo wrote: View Post
            Davide,

That does not explain the struggle that top Euroleague players have with defense when they come to play in the NBA.
            The completely different defence system explains it.
            In Europe you don't try to stop someone who's driving to the basket, you force him into an help defender. In the NBA once you get rid of the man guarding you, you have an easy layup, this never happens in Europe.
            So, in Europe, a good defence is a system in which you are able to help and your team mates rotate in order to recover and not allow an easy basket.
            In the NBA a good defence starts with a single player able to stop the man with the ball.
            Then you have elite defensive teams in the NBA where they are good on the ball and as a system and you have elite defensive teams in Europe where they have a good team defence but are also good on the ball.

Ciao,
            Davide.

Comment

I am assuming that "Europeans" extends to South Americans as well, because Manu is well, not European - he is Argentinian.

I have to second Realizar, though:
              PG: Tony Parker
              SG: Ginobli
              SF: AK-47
              PF: Dirk
              C: Gasol

add to that, a bench of: Varejao, Barbosa, Mbah a Moute (African), Calderon, Fernandez, Marc Gasol, Turiaf, Boozer.

So, ya, all Euros suck.

Comment

verbatim wrote: View Post
                I am assuming that "Europeans" extends to South Americans as well, because Manu is well, not European - he is Argentinian.

I have to second Realizar, though:
                PG: Tony Parker
                SG: Ginobli
                SF: AK-47
                PF: Dirk
                C: Gasol

add to that, a bench of: Varejao, Barbosa, Mbah a Moute (African), Calderon, Fernandez, Marc Gasol, Turiaf, Boozer.

So, ya, all Euros suck.
                Yeah i said on one of my ealier posts that Yeah Manu is Argentinian, u got to take Barbosa, Varejao out of your bench there tho cause they are brazilian.
                Marc Gasol is looking like he might turn out to be a tough defender and rebounder out of the bunch.

Your line up is great but other than AK no other shut down defender , they would get lit up like our Raps have been.

Im not saying ur Euro players arent skilled, they just play too soft and seemed flat footed on D. Plus they cant rebound. In certain roles they would do great but i dont think they should all be starting RIGHT now .
                "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

I just think that the NBA is built for athletics and whites have less defensive "ability' than black players.

White players from North America are not as bad. But there is something about European white players that makes them extra soft.

I think it has to do with the fact that Italian and Spanish (and others) soccer teams play a uniquely 'soft' game.

So its a combination of them being white and being from Western Euro - flopper - sports cultures.
                  Last edited by dagon420; Mon Dec 7, 2009, 09:49 PM.

Comment

What about all those white hockey players around the world? A typical hockey player sees more contact in one 50 second shift than a typical NBA player gets in one 48 minute game.

I'm telling you, generalizations a weak to begin with but when you're making them based on race, there are going to be problems...

There is a lot more that goes into who makes up the league besides race, such as average family income... Unfortunately African Americans got a raw deal for many decades and as a result they typically don't bring in as much income per family. Sports like Basketball are cheap, sports like hockey and golf are not. My theory is this goes a log way in deciding the majority in a sport.

personal and household income in the United States Census in 2005

Percent of households with six figure incomes and individuals with incomes in the top 10%, exceeding $77,500.
                    Source: WikiPedia

Then throw in the fact that other countries around the world, until recent years, have not been heavily into basketball. I can use hockey as an example. Canadians dominated hockey for decades, not because they were "genetically superior" but because they had better programs and greater numbers. Other countries now are gaining because they have comparable programs and growing numbers.

I would make the argument that in the coming decades you will see a massive influx in players of Chinese origin as they have a billion people and a huge desire to play the inexpensive sport known as basketball. Maybe in 20 or 30 years we can debate whether Chinese players are superior through genetics?
                    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Dec 8, 2009, 12:50 AM.

Comment

dagon420 wrote: View Post
                      I just think that the NBA is built for athletics and whites have less defensive "ability' than black players.

White players from North America are not as bad. But there is something about European white players that makes them extra soft.

I think it has to do with the fact that Italian and Spanish (and others) soccer teams play a uniquely 'soft' game.

So its a combination of them being white and being from Western Euro - flopper - sports cultures.
                      You sound like Jimmy the Greek.

Comment

Who cares about household income. Black players are just more genetically athletic than whites. Thats a fact. Hockey has nearly no black players, thats why you can't make that comparison.

Name me some freak athletic white NBA players. There are none. And you have guys like Nate Robinson dunking in the dunk contest.

You just aren't going to win with an ALL WHITE EURO team in the NBA. I think the last few years have been a testament to that.

Comment

dagon420 wrote: View Post
                          Who cares about household income. Black players are just more genetically athletic than whites. Thats a fact. Hockey has nearly no black players, thats why you can't make that comparison.

Name me some freak athletic white NBA players. There are none. And you have guys like Nate Robinson dunking in the dunk contest.

You just aren't going to win with an ALL WHITE EURO team in the NBA. I think the last few years have been a testament to that.
                          Provide something other than personal opinion/biases such as scientific studies. You haven't established that anything is factual yet.

Comment

An Euro White Team hmm

Jose - Rubio
                            Delfino- Fernandez
                            Hedo - Ak-47
                            Bargs -Gallinari
                            Pau- Gortat

Coach - Dantoni

THey would get torched on D but they would score at least 120 a night!
                            Last edited by rdiaz101; Tue Dec 8, 2009, 03:46 PM.
                            "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

That's all opinion. You're basing everything on bias and nothing on hard cold evidence, aka. facts.

Comment

The evidence is staring you in the face. The proportion is black to white players in the NBA is probably something like 60-40; yet who is the most athletic white player in the game? Chris Anderson? Now look at the top tier white players. Nowitzki, Nash, Gasol, Kaman, AB, JC, Turk, Lee.

How many of those are good defensive players? How many are serious athletes?

Who was the last white winner of a dunk contest? Brent Barry?
                                Last edited by dagon420; Tue Dec 8, 2009, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X