No announcement yet.

Would This Trade Fix the Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would Portland pair Bargs with Aldridge who's style of play is almost identical as Bosh's. If the Bosh/Bargs pairing isn't working here, why would Portland/Pritchard think it pairing Bargs with Aldridge would succeed?

I would be shocked if Prichard agreed to a Jose/Bargs for Miller/Oden deal.
    RR OG

Comment

abstract wrote: View Post
      Well it would be a failure because Colangelo had plenty of opportunities to evaluate Bargnani's talent. And I dont think it's a matter of saying he's a bust, but rather about his effectiveness on the way this roster is constructed.
      You have it wrong. Bargnani is a highly talented player. If there is a failure here its not due to Bargnani. Colangelo DID have plenty of time to evaluate Bargnani's talent and Colangelo did evaluate Bargnani's talent. So much so that he began scouting the center two years before he was drafted...Even before he was in Toronto... Bargnani is extremely good at what he does and is getting better all the time. If he were playing PF and had a strong prototypical center playing next to him there would be no complaints about him. So, if you want to call Colangelo a failure then do it because he didn't place the right guys around Bargnani and not because Bargnani isn't playing a style of game that is outside his comfort zone. Bargnani is delivering exactly what was advertised and is improving a lot. If it hasn't fit the team this year then its Colangelo's fault for throwing him into situations that are outside his territory. If I tossed you in a pool in over your head and you drowned who's fault is it? Is it yours for not knowing how to swim or is it my fault for forcing you into a situation that I knew was outside the realm of your abilities? That said it still doesn't make Colangelo a failure for drafting Bargnani because he has a very good player on his hands.

It was Colangelo after all that determined that Bargnani should be a key piece to this team (that in his eyes includes Bosh at the 4) and gave him that $50 million contract.
      I think time will tell that $10M/yr for Bargnani is a good deal for the team holding his contract. He is going to provide production like a bigger, taller Rashard Lewis.

Furthermore, it would be admitting that his concept of long athletic bigs dominating the game with their finesse is a bit exaggerated. He would be taking back a classic NBA big in Oden who has the architecture of an anti-Colangelo 5.
      I think its obvious what he's doing doesn't work. Who doesn't know this? At the end of the day if he were to parlay Bargnani into something that made the team work then I see no failure. I see success.
      Last edited by Apollo; Thu Dec 3, 2009, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Apollo, I'm not disputing the scouting or evaluation process that went into drafting Bargnani, and I agree with you that he would certainly have a higher success rate playing at the 4. My point is that this team already has a perennial all-star PF... Colangelo knew this all along and has invested in Bargnani to play the 5. This is the problem imo.

If Bosh wasn't on this roster then I wouldn't even think about trading AB, but let's say that Bosh leaves at the end of this season and Bargnani moves in as our starting PF... is that even a lateral move?

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
          Trading Bargnani would be a massive admission of failure. He already traded Ford, O'Neal and Marion which were three of his biggest trade acquisitions. If he does the same with Bargnani then he truly doesn't know what the hell he's doing. That's why I wasn't so pissed when they gave Bargnani that contract, it was totally expected because what would it say about your faith in your #1 pick if you let him go into the final year of his contract without an extension....
          Marion was "traded" because he had no intention of staying here. I'm sure BC would've liked to keep Marion here but I think he saw that this is a sinking ship.

Comment

A trade would probably help BUT

This one is too much and

A trade is not enough!
            Jay Triano either needs some hand holding or a replacement. Help him or Fire him!
            The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Doc..

I think its unlikely Triano gets fired bc that would also be a an admission of failure on BC's part... i think the best we can hope for is a trade which brings in a locker room presence. Someone who is clearly one of the teams top-5 players and will appropriately call out/motivate the other players. I have a hard time Hedo/Bargs/Jose have it in them to do that, and the guy that makes movies about getting his own tattoo doesn't seem like some to strike emotion in others hearts. I know the C**tics are an aberration, but its not Doc that gets them to play defense, its the players. You think Rondo played so intensely pre-KG? This team is seriously lacking Locker Room presence as cliche as it sounds.

Comment

chillin wrote: View Post
                Thanks for the welcome Doc..

You think Rondo played so intensely pre-KG? This team is seriously lacking Locker Room presence as cliche as it sounds.
                Raps have a huge leadership void.

The problem is what can they do about it?
                The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
                X