Would This Trade Fix the Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would This Trade Fix the Raptors?

This isn't an official rumour, but a basketball columnist being bored and having fun with the ESPN Trade Machine.

Ryan Wolstat from the Sun came up with this proposal.

In the meantime, ESPN's trade machine is a great little time waster. I thought up a trade that possibly would set things right in Raptor-land, ie. the team would stop giving up a billion points a night and would actually win some games, thereby helping entice Chris Bosh to stay put next summer.

The idea:

Raptors trade:
    Andrea Bargnani, Jose Calderon, Marcus Banks, Patrick O'Bryant, future 2nd round pick.

Clippers trade:
    Marcus Camby, Baron Davis, DeAndre Jordan, 1st round pick (top 12 protected).

The Clippers end the flawed Davis experiment and get something for Camby who will leave this summer for nothing. Bargnani/Kaman/Griffin would be a deadly frontcourt rotation for years to come.

The Raptors upgrade talent-wise significantly. Davis is moody and not always motivated, but surrounded by a veteran cast, he'd probably look pretty good again. Camby and Bosh would transform the Raptors from the worst defensive frontcourt in the league to an above average one that controls the glass.
    The team would free itself of some long-term commitments and have Jordan and the draft pick (plus extra money to re-sign Amir Johnson) to rebuild its front court once Camby leaves via free agency.
    Would you pull the trigger on such a deal?

Source - Click here

I like Bargs, I think he has a rediculous upside if they can get him playing D....but yah I'd take that deal. Camby is exactly the type of player we need and I always liked Baron Davis. And that Clippers frontcourt would definately be worth watching for years to come.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Not to change the subject, but i think that Colangelo isn't the type of guy to admit he is wrong with such a huge trade, however:

Jose for Andre Miller, it cant happen for another month or something b/c Andre is in base year, but who says no to this deal?

Miller ain't working out in Portland, he would bring veteran leadership to this struggling team.
      Jose is a team player, could be the starter there without interrupting B-Roy's flow and his defensive shittiness could be hidden by oden...

what do people think?

Comment

chillin wrote: View Post
        Not to change the subject, but i think that Colangelo isn't the type of guy to admit he is wrong with such a huge trade, however:

Jose for Andre Miller, it cant happen for another month or something b/c Andre is in base year, but who says no to this deal?

Miller ain't working out in Portland, he would bring veteran leadership to this struggling team.
        Jose is a team player, could be the starter there without interrupting B-Roy's flow and his defensive shittiness could be hidden by oden...

what do people think?
        Where do I sign?

Welcome to the forums chillin.

Comment

I love Andre Miller but straight up isn't very mindful of long term plans. Where is Andre Miller going to be when the Raptors are ready to make some noise? Probably signing the vet minimum to hook in with a contender in a bench supporting role. The Raptors need to do better than that for Jose Calderon. If I were them I would be talking to the Nuggets about Ty Lawson and the Jazz about Eric Maynor...Not straight up but one of those names in the deal along with another young player like JR Smith or Ronnie Brewer would be great.
          Last edited by Apollo; Thu Dec 3, 2009, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I would do Jose Calderon + Andrea Bargnani for Andre Miller + Greg Oden...

Portland has had interest in Calderon since his free agent year (2007), and we know Jose loves playing for Toronto but I bet if there are two teams he'd be happy to go to, they'd be LAL and POR for the obvious connection to his national teammates. Furthermore, BC is all about treating players right to build good relationships with the agents, so he wouldn't trade Jose (who has been loyal to the franchise) to a team that he wouldn't be content with...just recently in a pre game scrum Jose was praising Rudy Fernandez.

Oden for Bargnani is almost a no-brainer for both sides. Underachieving first overall picks that don't really fit the needs of their teams. As good as Bargs can be offensively, Toronto doesn't really need his offense. Raptors need defense at the 5 spot... Defense from the front court isn't really an issue for Portland as Aldridge is pretty decent as a help defender and shot blocker and they have guys like Pryzbilla off the bench that can come in and get offensive boards and make the hustle plays. Portland would benefit tremendously from having a 5 that can stretch out the d and make it easier for Roy and Aldridge to operate inside.

I think this is the most logical move for both sides.

Comment

Abstract, I would do that one too without blinking. Fingers crossed on Oden staying in the game long though... I hope he stays healthy because he can be a special player.

Comment

Trading Bargnani would be a massive admission of failure. He already traded Ford, O'Neal and Marion which were three of his biggest trade acquisitions. If he does the same with Bargnani then he truly doesn't know what the hell he's doing. That's why I wasn't so pissed when they gave Bargnani that contract, it was totally expected because what would it say about your faith in your #1 pick if you let him go into the final year of his contract without an extension....

Comment

I don't know about "massive failure". That would all depend on what he gets back. No doubt Oden would fit the current team more than Bargnani. Long term I think they have comparable potential. Both a #1's... That's said, I am not "pro-trade Bargnani" but I can see the benefits in the proposed trade.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    I don't know about "massive failure". That would all depend on what he gets back. No doubt Oden would fit the current team more than Bargnani. Long term I think they have comparable potential. Both a #1's... That's said, I am not "pro-trade Bargnani" but I can see the benefits in the proposed trade.
                    I think he meant massive admission of failure (on BC's part)

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                      Trading Bargnani would be a massive admission of failure. He already traded Ford, O'Neal and Marion which were three of his biggest trade acquisitions. If he does the same with Bargnani then he truly doesn't know what the hell he's doing. That's why I wasn't so pissed when they gave Bargnani that contract, it was totally expected because what would it say about your faith in your #1 pick if you let him go into the final year of his contract without an extension....
                      Agreed, but he'll have to acknowledge one of the following in order to move forward:

1) Bargnani isn't what he expected him to be
                      2) Signing Jose long term as the starting PG was a bad move
                      3) Hiring Jay Triano when there were more capable coaches available was a bad move

I'm sure BC realizes that one way or another, in order to progress, he'll have to address one of those points. Also, if Bosh ultimately leaves, then I'd argue that signing Jarrett Jack was a bad move too because we all know that his friendship with CB4 had a pretty substantial part in that offer. There were plenty of cheaper/just as capable options available on the market, imo.

Comment

abstract wrote: View Post
                        I think he meant massive admission of failure (on BC's part)
                        I don't think he would be admitting failure at all. Bargnani isn't a bust. If he could land a fellow #1 who everyone considered a far better prospect than him not too long ago then how is that a failure? Its an upgrade.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          I don't think he would be admitting failure at all. Bargnani isn't a bust. If he could land a fellow #1 who everyone considered a far better prospect than him not too long ago then how is that a failure? Its an upgrade.
                          Well it would be a failure because Colangelo had plenty of opportunities to evaluate Bargnani's talent. And I dont think it's a matter of saying he's a bust, but rather about his effectiveness on the way this roster is constructed.

It was Colangelo after all that determined that Bargnani should be a key piece to this team (that in his eyes includes Bosh at the 4) and gave him that $50 million contract.

Furthermore, it would be admitting that his concept of long athletic bigs dominating the game with their finesse is a bit exaggerated. He would be taking back a classic NBA big in Oden who has the architecture of an anti-Colangelo 5.

Comment

But we should also consider that the MLSE is all about making money and Bargnani gets them serious exposure in Italy and Europe... regardless of how effective he is with this current lineup and system.

Comment

abstract wrote: View Post
                              I would do Jose Calderon + Andrea Bargnani for Andre Miller + Greg Oden...

Oden for Bargnani is almost a no-brainer for both sides. Underachieving first overall picks that don't really fit the needs of their teams. As good as Bargs can be offensively, Toronto doesn't really need his offense. Raptors need defense at the 5 spot... Defense from the front court isn't really an issue for Portland as Aldridge is pretty decent as a help defender and shot blocker and they have guys like Pryzbilla off the bench that can come in and get offensive boards and make the hustle plays. Portland would benefit tremendously from having a 5 that can stretch out the d and make it easier for Roy and Aldridge to operate inside.

I think this is the most logical move for both sides.
                              You're crazy. There is no way Portland is going to trade Oden. Why on earth would anyone give up on a 21 year old center in his second full season? He's finally starting to pan out (12 points, 9 rebounds, 2.4 blocks) and is improving steadily. No point in trading for Bargnani for just 6 or 7 more points, and less rebounds, less blocks, and much worse defense. Portland just needs time to develop, there's no sense in trading their defensive anchor.

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                              I agree. I feel Bargnani is the Raptor least likely to be traded this season. He's a 24 year-old who has just been given a 5-year extension and is someone who really does have lots of potential to improve. Believe it or not, Colangelo isn't that foolish, he has his own reputation to uphold.

Calderon, on the other hand, is a different story. Unfortunately his contract is terrible for teams to take on. One place off the top of my head I can see for him is the Lakers. He wouldn't that much worse than Derek Fisher defensively and would be an upgrade offensively.

So I ran this through ESPN's trade machine and the money works:
                              Lakers receive:
                              Jose Calderon
                              Patrick O'Bryant

Raptors receive:
                              Derek Fisher
                              Adam Morrison

Fisher and Morrison are expiring contracts. So obviously this isn't something you do right now, more like at the deadline if Toronto is way out of the playoff picture. But then we'd also have to trade Bosh at the deadline/in the offseason. I don't know, there's going to be a lot of work to be done this offseason if we don't turn things around quick. But I have faith in Colangelo, he's definitely not going to stand back and let things play out.

Comment

Working...
                              X