Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SIGNING: Kleiza To Raptors (Update: Pg. 23/Post #183)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mack North wrote: View Post
    Refresh my memory but isn't he a PF? He's a decent signing but I'm not sure it's a real position of need. Does he have the skills to be a SF?
    He can play both forward positions.

Comment

Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
      I don't know what 2 say anymore,bad signing,everything he does turns 2 crap...Can we please just fire Bryan Colangelo.
      The Raps just lost its franchise player, are we really dillusional to think that we can convince any of the major FA to sign here if we can't even keep our own???

Kleiza is a good player, i think he'd fit in nicely with the Raps and I think this signals a possible move of Hedo. Let's wait and see what else BC has up his sleeve...

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
        The Spurs have used overseas players for as long as I remember and none of Duncan, Parker or Ginolbli are American born players and when was the last time they were not among the best teams in the league? A decade and a half ago?
        Pau and Mark Gasol are arguably two of the best power forwards in the game and Dirk was the best in the game a few years back.
        European players are not bad, and I would even argue that our team was made much better a few years back by the presence of guys like Garbojosa and Rasho. Using Europeans has it's problems but it is not any less likely to succeed than using american payers.

I don't mind this signing if it goes through, not a terrible contract and he will be a good back up if we are keeping Hedo and could be a (weak) starter if we don't. I wonder what happens with Marco if we get this guy though since we'll have 5 swing men under contract.
        I didn't say European players were bad. I said you can't use the "European Model", which means you can't have a team with half to more then half the roster being Europeans. The strategy has failed for the last three years.

Comment

not sure what to think. i'm fighting the urge to say 'typical BC signing' (er, attempted signing), but that's what it seems like...a guy he's liked for a while - check; euro - check; minimum 4 yrs - check; at least $5M (avg) per year - check.

not sure if denver is going to match, though they don't have much behind melo at the 3, even though they're probably reluctant to add long-term contracts (given that they'll be trying to re-sign melo), it wouldn't surprise me if they did. could be a case of them relying on feedback from melo as to whether it's worth it. of course, they may figure that they don't need to commit that term & $$ to a backup who they didn't like enough to keep from going to europe in the first place.

if this falls through though, does BC target childress next?
          TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

The Denver Nuggets have seven days to match the contract – which is four years and $20 million. No indication what they might do but they’re fighting tax issues, let him go once and it would be no surprise if they didn’t let him walk.

Who is he? A 6-8 small forward who played for Olympiakos in Greece last year after averaging 9.9 points a game with the Nuggets in 2008-09.

He’s a role player, does nothing spectacularly well but does add some depth to a spot where the Raptors need it.

The money seems about right, it takes almost all of Toronto’s mid-level exception out of play. The rest of the mid-level exception will go to Solomon Alabi, the second-round draft pick who’s going to get a bump from the minimum salary and a deal that’s multi-year but not fully guaranteed, I’m hearing.
            Little info on the signing and the player from Doug, he is also reporting that we are also trying to lock up Soloman for a longer term.

Source: Doug Smith

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
              I guess I'm in the minority, but how is Kleiza a bad signing. He's a physical player who isn't an amazing rebounder, but a decent one. Solid defender and has an offensive touch too. I actually wanted Colangelo to go after him years ago.

I guess its official then. I'm the president of the Kleiza "fan club".
              Two years ago was a different story ... not to mention that last year, signing Kleiza instead of Hedon't would have much better options now, maybe CB4 convincing Wade to join Raptors, not the other way around .

Anyway, if this move is not follow-up by some major trades, I don't believe this is necessary a great move AT THIS TIME. Going for Kleiza NOW, it means BC will force again "the best team on paper" and we will end up maybe with 8th seed again and a late draft pick. Probably, BC is playing his last chance to improve the team before his contract is up.

Comment

rev20002 wrote: View Post
                I didn't say European players were bad. I said you can't use the "European Model", which means you can't have a team with half to more then half the roster being Europeans. The strategy has failed for the last three years.
                Considering Jose is likely gone and I wouldn't be surprised if Marco is packaged up somewhere in a deal too, that'll leave us with Bargs, Hedo and possibly Linas. Hardly half the roster. I think some of you are blowing the Euro/international thing way out of proportion because like some have mentioned, its the player, not where they are from.

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
                  Raptors stereotype to sign big contracts to mediocre European players pretty much affects the flexibility of Raptors future development.
                  No, signing any mediocre player to a big contract affects the flexibility of future development. Whether they are European, North American, South American, Asian, African, or Australian is irrelevant.

Kleiza played college ball in the states, and his style of play isn't really the stereotypical "Euro" game.

I'm not implying that you're necessarily prejudiced or anything, but to have the attitude of "don't sign any European players simply because they're European, and we've had dissappointing results from European players in the past" is somewhat ignorant. You've got to sign the players who are the best fit for your team, regardless of their origin. So, in that regard, if we were signing a Belinelli type or a Bargnani type, I would agree with you (although I would probably use some variation of the word "soft" rather than "Euro") But we aren't...that isn't Kleiza's style of play.

And to anyone that thinks this is a bad signing, consider this:

Kleiza got offered $5 million. He plays a position where we are short on talent, and in his last NBA season, averaged 22 minutes per game on a conference finals team.

Amir Johnson signed for almost $7 million. He plays the position where we are arguably deepest (although I recognize that isn't saying much), and in his last NBA season, averaged 18 minutes per game on a team that didn't make the playoffs.

So all in all, I would say we're getting pretty good value for a proven contributor.

Comment

Jive wrote: View Post
                    Little info on the signing and the player from Doug, he is also reporting that we are also trying to lock up Soloman for a longer term.

Source: Doug Smith
                    i mean WHAT. THE. FUCK! what is the compulsive need to 'lock' guys up for longer terms &/or more money before they've done fuck-all? i like alabi as a prospect as the next guy, but jeezus krist, bryan, show a little fucking restraint. i dunno, maybe see if he recovers sufficiently from HepB and can actually play a bit before dolling out the cash.
                    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                      i mean WHAT. THE. FUCK! what is the compulsive need to 'lock' guys up for longer terms &/or more money before they've done fuck-all? i like alabi as a prospect as the next guy, but jeezus krist, bryan, show a little fucking restraint. i dunno, maybe see if he recovers sufficiently from HepB and can actually play a bit before dolling out the cash.
                      Haha, yeah, another one of BC's "get them before they are good" signings. Doesn't look like it will be fully guaranteed though so it might not be that big of a burden.

Comment

This was posted here in RR but at first I didn't believe in it because it sounded so conspiracy theory-ish. Perhaps Bryan in stocking up on Euros because they may be less likely to bolt south. That kinda blew up on his face with Turk though. Perhaps this is his way of "stemming" the tide.
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

My understanding was that the HepB has been a long term issue, so it's not really a matter of recovering. He's played with it his whole life.

I agree on the wait and see mentality, but then you risk him actually contributing next year, and you could wind up with a situation like Wesley Matthews in Utah, who has played his way into a much more significant contract. So if Alabi is the steal many think he is, this could end up working to our advantage.

Comment

My understanding is that Alabi has chronic Hep B, which means it's treatable, but is essentially a permanent condition. He isn't likely to "recover". From what I've read on it, he needs medication to treat it but it shouldn't otherwise impact his play.

No argument from me about BC locking up players, though. He'd better hope they get better.

Comment

LOL, I was hoping for Outlaw but I should have known better.

Colangelo!

When will the madness ever end?

Comment

For some reason I thought Kleiza was older, but he's only 25 and younger than Outlaw.

I wasn't too excited to hear about this being the MLE signing that was hinted at a few days ago but I guess it's a solid one. Not really building for the future though can play and help right away.
                                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                                X