Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bosh S&T To Miami Done Deal? (Update on Pg. 8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

malefax wrote: View Post
    Tim W.: I can understand where you're coming from with wanting to see the Raptors rebuild, but I dont think it's ever going to happen -- or, at least, the roster you see right now is the closest we're going to get. I dont think BC is ever going to make a move that he thinks will make the team do badly in the regular season. That isn't what MLSE hired him for. MLSE wants us making the playoffs every year, because that makes most fans happy and sells merchandise. Of course they want a championship, but they don't want to endure 5 years of losing to get a shot.

On the upside, 'rebuilding' is not at all the only way to win a championship. The Lakers did not get where they are by rebuilding. Neither did Boston. Fans like the concept because they can understand the logic of it, but in the real world, it's not even all that common as the road to the championship. The main way is just good trades. No special reason the Raptors can't do that, although of course it's unlikely (since winnign a championship is always unlikely).
    totally agree man the clips have been rebuilding for years and they suck lol
    ya dun noe

Comment

The Lakers had one of the top three offensive threats in the game and were gifted a phenomenal big man, while having probably the best coach possible for their team and an owner who had no qualms with spending money. Boston had assets and turned them into three Hall-of-Famers who fit together well, just a little past their prime at the time. They also literally bought Rondo from the cost-cutting Suns.

I'm sure teams rebuilding the way OKC and Portland did happens more often than that, at least.

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post
        Tim W.: I can understand where you're coming from with wanting to see the Raptors rebuild, but I dont think it's ever going to happen -- or, at least, the roster you see right now is the closest we're going to get. I dont think BC is ever going to make a move that he thinks will make the team do badly in the regular season. That isn't what MLSE hired him for. MLSE wants us making the playoffs every year, because that makes most fans happy and sells merchandise. Of course they want a championship, but they don't want to endure 5 years of losing to get a shot.

On the upside, 'rebuilding' is not at all the only way to win a championship. The Lakers did not get where they are by rebuilding. Neither did Boston. Fans like the concept because they can understand the logic of it, but in the real world, it's not even all that common as the road to the championship. The main way is just good trades. No special reason the Raptors can't do that, although of course it's unlikely (since winnign a championship is always unlikely).
        I have no idea whether it's going to happen, but it's certainly the right thing to do, in my opinion. When a team makes the playoffs twice in eight years, maybe it's time to do something different.

The Lakers got where they are by dumping their roster, opening up cap room and signing Shaq and drafting Kobe in one summer. Once you have your superstar, then the rest is a lot easier.

Boston got to where they are because Kevin McHale completely f**ked up in Minnesota and did Ainge a favour.

Of all the superstars, the clear majority were drafted by their team. Most NBA FInals MVPs and MVPs were drafted by their team (or traded for before they played). It's incredibly difficult to get a franchise player except through the draft, and it's incredibly difficult to do it if you're not one of the few desirable locations in the NBA.

Most fans actually don't want their team to rebuild. It's usually only the educated fans that do. Regular fans simply want to be able to go to a game and watch a competitive team. That's exactly why most teams don't like to rebuild. GMs don't like using the word because it scares fans. Fans pay lots of money to go watch games, and if they know a team is rebuilding, they won't spend the money. That's why Colangelo backtracked during the press conference when he mentioned rebuilding.

saints91 wrote: View Post
        hmmmmm maybe I mean loosing. Before Vince there was a lot of rebuilding going on.

The thing with rebuilding is that you have to be able to keep those stud players that you draft. We can't do that! We are not a team that builds through free agency because most American players don't want to come here. So our option is have a predominately European team or trade for good players with long term contracts. Drafts are important and we have three young players that can be good for this team. To keep these guys we have to have to start winning and make this a franchise players want to come to.
        Losing sucks. But the Raptors have been able to keep their two best players they drafted for a good long while. Both Vince and Bosh both left because the team was not built the right way around them. Vince was surrounded by veterans who helped him win immediately, but hurt the team long term. Bosh was never surrounded by a consistent core of players that would grow with him.

This was exactly the problem Cleveland had with LeBron and why he probably left. They surrounded him with veterans because they wanted him to win immediately, but they kept having to reload, and he never had consistency and few developed players.

Oklahoma City is such a great example of what to do because Durant is surrounded by players who will get better with him, not decline as he gets better and have to be replaced.

As for keeping the young players, you don't have to start winning immediately. That's a VERY short sighted solution. That's what Colangelo tried to do with Bosh. It doesn't work. The team has a few years before the young players have to be re-signed, and they don't necessarily have to be winning, but be in a good position to win in the future. If DeRozan sees the framework of a successful team, there will be no reason for him to go elsewhere.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
          totally agree man the clips have been rebuilding for years and they suck lol
          No, the CLippers have been mismanaged for years. There's a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE difference and I wish people would stop mistaking the two.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Update

Wolves/Heat also agree to unspecified swap of future first-round picks. Heat turned to 'Sota after four-way trade w/TOR, HOU, CHA dissolved
            http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ

Comment

The Amare deal turned into a S & T, so who knows. There may be hope yet.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Beasley's A Twolf:
                http://yhoo.it/coBkk7

I know Beasley's been almost unanimously panned in these parts, but wasn't he also seen as the cog to any S&T with Miami?

Now that he's out I'm feeling like the S&T is too...

Comment

The idea of developing young gunz sounds promising, however you guys forget to remember that all young players developed by Raptors deserted before they reach their potential (Damon, Vince, Tracy, Chris). The most important thing for Raptors is to get players that are committed to play in Toronto, not attention whores that are ready any time to bolt just to get a ring by pairing with others.

Comment

Can somebody tell me what "retooling" is? Does that mean since our biggest tool (Bosh) has just left, we're going to go out and recruit a new tool? I hear AI is looking to play again. He's a pretty big tool.

As far as I'm concerned, the Raps might as well start vacuuming up draft picks for the next couple of years and start building around the kids they've got. I'm tired of cheering for tools.

Comment

If that wasn't sarcasm, retooling is a compromise between rebuilding and contending. Constantly looking for bandaid solutions for the short term instead of trying to make solid moves with a long term view.

If it was, then yes, I agree. AI is a tool. :P

Comment

geebee wrote: View Post
                        Can somebody tell me what "retooling" is? Does that mean since our biggest tool (Bosh) has just left, we're going to go out and recruit a new tool? I hear AI is looking to play again. He's a pretty big tool.

As far as I'm concerned, the Raps might as well start vacuuming up draft picks for the next couple of years and start building around the kids they've got. I'm tired of cheering for tools.
                        retooling is over paying fan favorite players by 30-40% to keep them happy while they are really a glorified garbage man.
                        retooling means signing some meaningless FAs to give the illusion to some fans that we can compete.
                        retooling is taking a future of the team hostage and having no real plan to fix things.

Comment

If they were making a FA signing for show you would not be hearing about a guy who wasn't even playing NBA ball last season.

Comment

Looks Like S&T With Heat Is Going To Happen

HT: Liston Tweet

Heat tying up loose ends with Chris Bosh, Mike Miller

The Heat also is finishing off a sign-and-trade agreement with the Toronto Raptors that will allow recently acquired power forward Chris Bosh to receive a six-year free-agent contract instead of the maximum five-year contract an outside free agent can receive. The Raptors, in turn, will receive a package of draft picks from the Heat and a trade exception of roughly $15 million.
                            http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,4440538.story
                            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

That's some good news to be sure.

I'm very curious as to what the various contracts are going to look like if the Heat are going to be able to afford to add Mike Miller to the mix.

edit: it's doubly good news if we get the pick that Miami reportedly swapped with Minny in getting rid of Beasley. Looking forward to finding out more about whether it's lottery protected, etc.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                                That's some good news to be sure.

I'm very curious as to what the various contracts are going to look like if the Heat are going to be able to afford to add Mike Miller to the mix.

edit: it's doubly good news if we get the pick that Miami reportedly swapped with Minny in getting rid of Beasley. Looking forward to finding out more about whether it's lottery protected, etc.
                                ya, they will but then it's going to just be a bunch of minimum salary guys and they will only have chalmers,miller,bosh under contract as of today it seems.
                                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                                X