Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TRADE: Turkoglu For Barbosa and Jones (Update On Pg. 29)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were there no other options?

Inasmuch all of the Raptors fans are happy to see a disgruntled player leave, I still wonder if the selection of Barbossa and Diaw in return are the best option this team's management had. This team sorely needs penetrating guard. Barbossa is not one of that ilk. His injury and time he spent off recovering made him now even less relying on his athletic abilities, and he plays far from the basket. On the other hand, few years ago, there was an article published in which journalist described Barbossa's frail mindset. In that article, it was described how Phoenix players played a prank with Barbossa by leaving a message on his mobile phone that he is summoned to GM's office to discuss the situation where he would be traded by the next day. It was said in that article that Barbossa went to GM's office crying, more than visibly upset, and stated that he could not imagine himself playing for any team other than Phoenix Suns in his career. When it comes to Diaw, his athleticism has been discussed already into details, but he could also be a moody player, not rebelious but most definitely headstrong, and Jay Triano has no mental capacity or coaching authority that goes beyond instrumenting consequences, to use in such situations. As a suggestion of an observer, could the Raptors GM not facilitate a trade of Turk(u)gly with Sacramento, and get B. Udrih, a guard who is a brilliant penetrator to the basket and also more than decent shooter?

Comment

• I am surprised that the Diaw deal is for TE essentially. Why are we doing Charlotte a favour by taking on their salary problems? There has to be more to this.

Comment

• To me the Diaw acquisition is only average. Yes, we're getting a player of value with a short contract that can play defense. On the other hand, I would rather have given more minutes to Kleiza/Weems at the 3. I hope the rest of the TPE doesn't get used before the trade deadline because that's when I think we can get some real deals (see Eric Maynor, Ronnie Brewer).

Comment

• Sweet Jesus the nightmare is finished. Turk is gone! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Comment

• Barbosa is a former sixth man of the year who can lead the fast break for our second unit and play major minutes at the one or two. He has a career 3 point % of 0.398 which is very very good and has consistently averaged around 19 points per 36 over the last four seasons.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...barbole01.html

He was injured last season, which is why you see the dip in some of his numbers, but he is definitely a guy that will help our team. I would have likes youth back, but Barbosa is an excellent return for Hedo.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

• I love the Barbosa deal! We needed a guy that drives hard, and is versatile. I wonder if they will play him at the point or keep him at SG. I would like him to come in as a six man for either position.

As for Diaw, I'll trust Colangelo. If he can defend and play SF that is great for us.

We honestly need a Centre, I hope this gets addressed before training camp. I would still prefer to see Andrea at the PF position.

Andrea
              Amir
              Diaw
              Demar
              Calderon

Barbosa
              Linas K
              Evans
              Weems
              Ed Davis
              Jack
              Belinelli
              Alibi
              Banks

I see more moves in the near future. We have depth, but no true scoring option (18-20 points) besides Andrea

Comment

• Steve Kyler is reporting that the deal is not Diaw for TPE, but rather:

Diaw + Chandler for Jose Calderon + TPE

Yesterday the Raptors shipped off Hedo Turkoglu to Phoenix and got Leandro Barbosa in return and have a deal that's likely to drop today which will return Boris Diaw for Jose Calderon and Tyson CHandler for the trade exception the team obtained from Miami in the Bosh sign-and-trade deal.
                Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz0tTRuGVg8

This makes a little more sense in my opinion. Roster preview:

PG: Jarret Jack/Leandro Barbosa/Marcus Banks
                SG: Sonny Weems/DeMar DeRozan/Marco Belinelli
                SF: Boris Diaw/Linas Kleiza
                PF: Andrea Bargnani/Amir Johnson/Reggie Evans
                C: Tyson Chandler/Ed Davis/Solomon Alabi

Am I missing anyone? that's a 14-player roster
                Last edited by Marz; Mon Jul 12, 2010, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Hm interesting. BC has been busy.

If we do get Chandler and Diaw, that's a pretty talented 14 man roster. No great players but no real scrubs either.

Chandler's contract is in it's last year too. That may be too good to be true.
                  Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Yeah, put me also in the camp that believes there's more to this trade than meets the eye. There's just something about it that seems unfinished. While this isn't a terrible move, it's not excellent, and altogether rushed if it stays as is. I'm certain we could have used that TPE to better effect during the season when teams are more likely to move better pieces. That's why i think there's more to come.

Regardless, I would think it imperative that we try to get a defensive starting Center if we do keep Diaw, as the following line-up is actually play-off calibre (especially if that second unit develops some chemistry and Diaw can handle the playmaking and hit his 3's. that is some serious potential right there with athletes abound).

Calderon/Barbosa
                    Weems/Derozan
                    Kleiza/Diaw
                    Bargnani/Davis
                    _______/Johnson

Also, this is kinda off topic, but I've had this feeling that Amir's contract is bigger than necessary so as to allow him to come off the bench. Ie, "We want you to stay, and we want you long term. I know you want to be a starter, and you probably will start some games for us, particularly down the road. However, we will be looking at other options for now. We don't want any issues about you coming off the bench if that's how it plays out, so how's about a few extra million. Deal?"

Comment

• Marz wrote: View Post
                      Steve Kyler is reporting that the deal is not Diaw for TPE, but rather:

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz0tTRuGVg8

This makes a little more sense in my opinion. Roster preview:

PG: Jarret Jack/Leandro Barbosa/Marcus Banks
                      SG: Sonny Weems/DeMar DeRozan/Marco Belinelli
                      SF: Boris Diaw/Linas Kleiza
                      PF: Andrea Bargnani/Amir Johnson/Reggie Evans
                      C: Tyson Chandler/Ed Davis/Solomon Alabi

Am I missing anyone? that's a 14-player roster
                      There's no way Ed Davis plays center. You need to swap him with Andrea in my opinion.

Is Jack and Barbosa redundant? Similar style and weak defense. However, point penetration might not be as big of an issue if you have both Davis and Chandler back there.
                      Last edited by Krix; Mon Jul 12, 2010, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• A defensive center like Tyson Chandler?

This was just posted in the Diaw thread:

Steve Kyler is reporting that the deal is not Diaw for TPE, but rather:

Yesterday the Raptors shipped off Hedo Turkoglu to Phoenix and got Leandro Barbosa in return and have a deal that's likely to drop today which will return Boris Diaw for Jose Calderon and Tyson CHandler for the trade exception the team obtained from Miami in the Bosh sign-and-trade deal.
                        Read more NBA news and insight:
                        http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz0tTRuGVg8
                        Who knows if it's accurate yet though.
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• This is so funny ... With that many TPE around at this time (Cleveland, Phoenix, Utah, Toronto) what exactly are you expecting to get for our TPE? Kobe? Durant? Let's get serious, nobody is going to give you a star player for TPE.

Comment

• Hmm...

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                              Hm interesting. BC has been busy.

If we do get Chandler and Diaw, that's a pretty talented 14 man roster. No great players but no real scrubs either.

Chandler's contract is in it's last year too. That may be too good to be true.
                              I tend to agree. This line-up would be entirely different on the defensive end. Kleiza and Diaw are much improved over Turk defensively, Barbosa is faster than Calderon, and the team would have a few bigs that defend the rim.

It's a very fast and athletic line-up too that could be a dynamic running team. It might lack solid 3-pt shooters on the wing though.

Now, all they need is a dynamic pass-first PG to orchestrate things... what would it take to get Rubio?

Comment

• Krix wrote: View Post
                                There's no way Ed Davis plays center. You need to swap him with Andrea in my opinion.
                                There is no way in hell Andrea doesn't start. He is far and away our best player (I love Bargs, but I just cried a little)... If anything, you swap Davis and Amir... which isn't a big deal either way I don't think.

Comment

Working...
                                X