Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What To Do With Calderon...

Here is the BIG picture of what to do with Calderon:

3 team trade the Raptors need to make to rid of Calderon and prepare for the future:

DET, POR, TOR

Det gets Miller, Fernandez, Batum
    Por gets Calderon, Prince, Stuckey
    Tor gets Bayless, Pryzbilla

Next: Raptors and Hornets

This depends on if Hornets are looking to trade Okafor. We'll do 2 trades, one with Okafor and one without Okafor:

Without Okafor:

NOH gets Banks, Evans, Bellinelli, Bayless, Heat 1st Round
    TOR gets Collison, Stojakovic

ROSTER:

PG: Collison, Jack, (need 3rd string PG)
    SG: DeRozan, Barbosa
    SF: Weems, Kleinza, Peja
    PF: Bargnani, Davis, Dorsey
    C: Pryzbilla, Johnson, Alabi

With Okafor:

NOH gets Pryzbilla, Evans, Bellinelli, Bayless
    TOR gets Collison, Okafor

NOH gets TPE/Heat 1st Round pick
    TOR gets Stojakovic

ROSTER:

PG: Collison, Jack, Banks
    SG: DeRozan, Barbosa
    SF: Weems, Kleinza, Peja
    PF: Bargnani, Davis, Dorsey
    C: Okafor, Johnson, Alabi

Personally I'd go for without Okafor and then give a huge contract offer to Marc Gasol next year that Memphis would not be willing or able to match. However, if NOH wanted rid of Okafor then I would take him and go ahead with getting Marc Gasol while worrying about ridding Okafor later.

WHY WOULD THIS TRADE SCENARIO WORK?

Trade 1:
    Portland needs a PG who can stick the 3 next to ROY hence calderon.
    Detroit needs a PG who can create for others and get his own shot hence Miller.
    Raptors needs a C to allow Bargnani to play PF.

Trade 2:
    New Orleans needs to do everything it can to keep Paul. This saves them money this year and frees up nearly $30 million for next year to sign a big free agent to play alongside Paul (Carmelo maybe?) while obtaining a couple of young players with potential if they choose to keep them (Bellinilli and Bayless).

Raptors need a point guard for the future - Darren Collison. Peja's $14 million expiring contract is used to sign 1st round pick and maybe 2nd round next year, make a huge offer to Marc Gasol, and keep Weems.

The above gives Colangelo Executive of the Year.

you're high
    i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

What above makes no sense?

Portland tried to get a SF in Deng for Pryzbilla and Bayless.
      Miller has not worked in Portland, he cannot shoot. Fernandez and Bayless have been bitching their entire time there.
      Detroit needs a PG who can create for their shooters, not a PG who can shoot.
      NO needs cap relief and is in financial distress.

I don't mind critisim but a little more than "you're high" is needed.

Or better yet: Calderon for CP3 and the Hornets draft pick?

Comment

pillowmint wrote: View Post
        you're high
        Yah right man, thats a very creative and smart thread. I still don't think NOH is gonna do anything with Collison, but Detroit and Port have been quiet and are bound to make some moves. I would love to get Stuckey, somebody who hasn't ever been mentioned before. He just seems to get dogged by the Pistons every year, but is a real player.

Comment

Chris paul is leaving NewO in a minute, they already got there replacement he's not going any where. i like that team with thornton and collison, that back court wil be NICE for a long time. I dunno where calderon is going but he needs to go, i love how people say he should stay, cause think back how many times point guards ripped us last year. honestly if jack started every game last year for this team we woulda been in the playoffs!!!

Comment

There is just too much going on here.

1st Miller had a bad start to the season with POR, but ended solid. Also, POR runs a motion offense type game, Calderon is the master at slowing the game down to a snails pace, I doubt that's what they'd want in return.

2nd POR wants/needs more center's. Aside from the Vanilla Gorilla, they have an oft injured Oden, and Aldridge who really should be playing the PF.

I don't want to get too into every team involved and break it down (because I'm lazy). Needless to say, if your NOH, the trade value in CP3 is enormous. If you're Toronto and you want CP3 or Collison be prepared to trade something like our TPE, our 1st, and Bargs or Davis, for either CP3 and Okafor, or Collison and Peja.

Other teams will make likewise moves to get there hands on easily the best PG in the league (CP3) or a potential all-star PG in Collison.

So while I'm sorry I suggested that you're high (you might be and I guessed well), I might simply suggest that if you're going to make a bunch of moves for the Raps to get either CP3 OR Collison, it will take more than what you have proposed.

Et Voila.

Go Raps!
            i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

Man makes a good point BUT....
              I think He underestimates the desperation of a GM who needs to cut costs...

Also anyone who wants Collison over CP3 is on drugs considering, when healthy, CP3 is top 10 in the League

a Trade of
              Jack, Evans, Banks, Davis and Our TPE
              for CP3 and Okafor
              that seems good but I may just be wishful thinking...but Nawlins would shed MASSIVE amounts of salary and T.O would be immediately out of re-building like BC wants
              maybe throw a 1st rounder or 2

then Start
              CP3, Barbosa, Derozan, Bargs, Okafor
              Bench - Calderon, Sonny, Linus, Amir, Alabi

and te only reason i would start barbosa ahead of Cp is because I dont want Barbosa and Calderon as the second unit backcourt...that would result in NO perimeter D

Comment

I doubt Portland would got for it. At this point in their careers, Batum makes much more sense for them than Batum, and Stuckey is a ball dominating shoot first PG. I can see them liking Calderon over Miller, but not at that price.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I like the idea of this. Collison would be great for us but I'm not sure how likely NOH are to trade him. I think what we need the most is good solid vetrans who can help our young guys like DeRozan, Weems, Davis, Johnson. Tyson Chandler would have been great for us.

My personal oppinion is that they should get as many first round picks and maybe some role players. I believe that Weems and DeRozan running the wings is the future. Heck they're already doing it in the LVSL. I also like the play from Bobby Brown.

Comment

I think we need to go after T. Prince in Detroit and his expiring contract, plus he's a solid defender.

Calderon/Belli for Prince

Det then ships Stucky, Rip and Wilcox to Indi for J. Foster, Dunleavy, Dahanty Jones...should work under the salary cap and lots of expiring contracts. Only issue is would Indi take on Rip's contract.

New starting lineup
                    Jack, Derozan, Prince, Johnson, Bargnani.

Comment

rev20002 wrote: View Post
                      I think we need to go after T. Prince in Detroit and his expiring contract, plus he's a solid defender.

Calderon/Belli for Prince

Det then ships Stucky, Rip and Wilcox to Indi for J. Foster, Dunleavy, Dahanty Jones...should work under the salary cap and lots of expiring contracts. Only issue is would Indi take on Rip's contract.

New starting lineup
                      Jack, Derozan, Prince, Johnson, Bargnani.
                      Why are we trying to keep replacing guys that we should give more experience. They only position I think we need an upgrade in is at the center spot. We should let Weems and DeRozan get as much floor time as possible to gain more experience. Were not going to be able to contend anytime soon so why not develop these guys.

Comment

first, do you think BC is going to be ok with taking on okafor's huge contract while he is in salary dumping mode...

second, there is every chance that CP3 pulls a LeBron/Bosh on NO.....and then they have collison who, while not a franchise player, is a starting PG......so why would NO give that away?

third, in your trade scenario....NOH gets Banks, Evans, Bellinelli, Bayless, Heat 1st Round while TOR gets Collison, Stojakovic.....if I am NO's GM, why would i give away a 14M expiring contract away for a bunch of scrubs + bayless when i can potentially pry a good player from an under achieving team looking to shed salary?

Comment

RAPT0RS wrote: View Post
                          Why are we trying to keep replacing guys that we should give more experience. They only position I think we need an upgrade in is at the center spot. We should let Weems and DeRozan get as much floor time as possible to gain more experience. Were not going to be able to contend anytime soon so why not develop these guys.
                          I agree with letting Weems and DD develop, but as long as we're developing people, why not give Amir more time? He was grabbing almost 5 RPG on only 17 MPG. Couldn't he play C, letting Bargs slide to PF? The only thing missing is a solid point defender. Jack is a strong backup, but we're still going to need more defensive presence.

You're right. They're not going to win any trophies, but we might as well work with what we have. Playing musical chairs every season isn't getting us anywhere.

Comment

RAPT0RS wrote: View Post
                            Derozan and Weems can get their playing time at the two. You get a good defender in Prince and an expiring contract. I also just thought that we could take on Foster's deal to and give the Pistons Evans so we now have a starting C and you move Bargnani to PF.

The reality is the Raptors will never be a contender in this league. We should not be rebuilding instead just retooling and hoping to at least contend for 8.

Comment

rev20002 wrote: View Post
                              The reality is the Raptors will never be a contender in this league. We should not be rebuilding instead just retooling and hoping to at least contend for 8.
                              I don't know how accurate your crystal ball is, but never is a looooooooong time. I think the reason why a lot of people prefer a rebuild to a retool is that we've been retooling for the last 4 seasons and contending for the 8th seed and frankly, it has left a lot of us unsatisfied. Obviously we need to move either calderon or jack at some point (i prefer to move jack, but hey that's just me) and getting a defensive center would be sweet, but we don't have to do these things this offseason colangelo got rid of turk which was happy faces all over the republic. It is HARD to get deals done in the NBA and as much as we can create trade scenarios into infinity now is not the time to bring in veterans. We need to let the young guys play and in a couple of years when we are on the verge of the playoffs or maybe even homecourt then look to bring in some vets (if we even need them at that point). PG and Center are obviously the spots that could use changes but we may not get good deals on those this summer.

ps. if collison or paul were really available don't you think coangelo would be all over that like JYD on a loose ball? The fact that there have been no substantial rumours about collison (to us or anyone else) leads me to believe that NOH wants to keep him. The timeframe on this has run out. Their will be no moving collison until well into the season.
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X