Less Money Or Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less Money Or Championship

Miller just signed with the Heat, apparently for less money - http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...gns_with_heat/

Says in the article tho that Bosh, Wade and LBJ also took less money, is that correct? I thought thats why the Heat did the sign and trades so that Bosh and LBJ can get their max money?

If i were the families of Miller and Haslem, i think id be smackin them on the head for taking less money just to win a championship. Maybe because im not an NBA player and dont fully understand what it would feel like to win a championship but in the long run, i dont think youll be able to sell your championship ring for the same amount as youre giving up signing a lesser paying contract.

If the Big 3 are getting max money, i think theyre hypocrites for "recruiting" other players and convincing them to take less money and those who accept are just plain dumb. If the Big 3 are not getting maxes, i think its a different situation for them because they probably would later make the money anyways with endorsements and appearances but players like miller and haslem, they surely dont make as much money as the big 3 outside of basketball.

hopefully, 10 years down the road and theyre sitting on their couches dead broke, they wont be saying to themselves while staring at their championship ring "man, i ditched 10million dollars for this thing????"

I think that's the wrong way to look at this (the money way). The right way to look at it is through the lens of the lack of accomplishment that ought to accompany "the ring". 10 years down the road, when they look at it, it's not through broke eyes, but through meaningless eyes that they will see it. "i wasn't part of a team that fought hard and won a championship. this ring does not represent that. I was part of an era that treasured 'the ring' ahead of the competitive nature of sport. I deserved this ring in the same sense that Bush Jr. deserved his presidency."

and of course, if they did take a pay cut on top of that, then that's just an extra slap in the face.

Comment

you are right, that is another way of looking at it.

Comment

The sign and trade was for the sixth year and, if I'm not mistaken, better annual raises.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
          If i were the families of Miller and Haslem, i think id be smackin them on the head for taking less money just to win a championship. Maybe because im not an NBA player and dont fully understand what it would feel like to win a championship but in the long run, i dont think youll be able to sell your championship ring for the same amount as youre giving up signing a lesser paying contract.
          I fully agree.

Guys like Miller and Haslem may help to win a championship but they will be just faded shadows in the distant future if the Heat ends up winning a championship. If you ask most people to name the players that helped the Bulls to win their first 3 NBA championships most people will remember Jordan and Pipen and for lesser extent Horace Grant (that is what Bosh will be remembered as because he will be overshadowed by Lebron and Wade) but to name the other guys might be a little bit of a head scratcher (for the casual fan).

Therefore guys like Miller and Haslem could be very well be one of the first pieces to be traded somewhere down the line because they are worth more then their contracts and therefore the demand will make them easier to move in favourite for other pieces. So if I were a max guy I would take a pay cut to help bring more players in to win a championship but if I am not a max guy I would take as much money or as close as much money I am worth and hope I will pick a team that also offers me a chance to win.

I HAVE TO FEED MY FAMILY TOO!!!

Comment

Working...
          X