Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Wins Does Triano Need To Keep His Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expectations are low, yeah, but if we go on a 10 game losing streak (which could easily happen) get ready for the PJ era.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

TRX wrote: View Post
      @ Tim W.: If the Raptors were a company and Colangelo the CEO, MLSE would be the board of directors; ultimately, the CEO has to cater to the board of directors as well or show them a better alternative. (Quick, who's the Mavericks' general manager? I'd venture the casual fan has no idea.) I don't personally believe it, but it's not inconceivable MLSE wanted Triano and Colangelo had no real objection or strong enough reservations.

Anyway, I would hope Triano's job is not contingent on wins. It doesn't make sense for a rebuilding team.
      The MLSE IS the board of directors, and it's a little different because generally a board of directors has some knowledge of the business they are in charge of. In this case, they don't. And it's very true that the GM must obey the owner of the team. I've never said anything different. What I've said is that Colangelo would have been given complete control of basketball decisions when he was hired. Considering the background and reputation, as well as why he left Phoenix, he would have definitely been in a position to demand this.

And the fact that Triano has such a connection to USA basketball, and so does Colangelo, it makes perfect sense that Colangelo simply felt that Triano had the potential to be a very good coach and wanted to hire him. I can't see Colangelo leaving the decision up to a board with absolutely no basketball expertise.

As for Dallas, what the casual fan knows doesn't matter. How many casual fans know who RC Buford is? And while Mark Cuban is definitely a hands on owner, Donny Nelson is the man in charge of basketball decisions there. He's a very smart GM who is a good judge of talent. In the end, I don't see him doing anything he isn't 100% behind.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

There is NO way Jay keeps his contract after this year. Colangelo is only a couple years removed from his last coaching mistake. Let's hope he doesn't do the same. The only way I see keeping Triano is if he wins us a championship. Other than that, he's just not good enough and anything else I'd consider a grand fluke.

The only reason Jay is even still coaching is because they're still paying Smith's contract for this year. As soon as that is up, and they have money to afford a real head coach, that's what they're going to do.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
          LOL, Did he really say that ?

Of course he is right, this easily explains the extra 8-9 million that he is getting over 5 years and also confirms what I have been saying all long that Amir's contract is based on the Marketing for Fans and YOUNG GUNZ.
          Yes he said that i believe at the presser of his signing when he was asked "whose team is it now that Bosh is gone"
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

@ Tim W.: If the Raptors were a company and Colangelo the CEO, MLSE would be the board of directors; ultimately, the CEO has to cater to the board of directors as well or show them a better alternative. (Quick, who's the Mavericks' general manager? I'd venture the casual fan has no idea.) I don't personally believe it, but it's not inconceivable MLSE wanted Triano and Colangelo had no real objection or strong enough reservations.

Anyway, I would hope Triano's job is not contingent on wins. It doesn't make sense for a rebuilding team.
            I really don't think that you have to know the name of every or even most of the GMs in the league to be a serious basketball fan.

The game is played on the court and not in the offices. Of course GMs make a difference but as a true serious fan it seems to me that your focus should be on the players almost exclusively. That is where the joy of the game is, unless you are watching the Magic.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Raptor Cowboy wrote: View Post
              There is NO way Jay keeps his contract after this year. Colangelo is only a couple years removed from his last coaching mistake. Let's hope he doesn't do the same. The only way I see keeping Triano is if he wins us a championship. Other than that, he's just not good enough and anything else I'd consider a grand fluke.

The only reason Jay is even still coaching is because they're still paying Smith's contract for this year. As soon as that is up, and they have money to afford a real head coach, that's what they're going to do.
              Like most fans you give way too much weight to the coach's impact on a team. Other than a maybe a handful of superior coaches, non of which are likely to be available next season to sign with the Raptors, the coach's game is a rotation game. They rotate from one team to another until they retire and in most cases its voluntary.

Yes there are some really bad coaches who don't hang around the NBA as coaches for too long but Triano is not one of them. He has already shown that he has the ability to develop young talent, a quality that many coaches do not have. Why, because it takes time and guts to put young inexperienced guys out there even if they have a very good or better upside. It is a lot easier to go with the experienced pro who has stop growing even though the upside of the younger guy is superior to the level that the experienced pro has maxed out at.

Generally speaking coaches on the average make a greater difference at the grade school, high school and college level levels than they do at the pro level.
              Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Jul 16, 2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

My only point was if the owner of the team overshadows management and they're dumb like MLSE, you might be in trouble. I do believe Colangelo insisted MLSE stay out of the way, but what can he do but quit or tolerate them if they've changed their mind. Anyway, it's mostly irrelevant, because I don't think Triano is incompetent. I always seem to gravitate to playing devil's advocate, lol

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                  Like most fans you give way too much weight to the coach's impact on a team. Other than a maybe a handful of superior coaches, non of which are likely to be available next season to sign with the Raptors, the coach's game is a rotation game. They rotate from one team to another until they retire and in most cases its voluntary.

Yes there are some really bad coaches who don't hang around the NBA as coaches for too long but Triano is not one of them. He has already shown that he has the ability to develop young talent, a quality that many coaches do not have. Why, because it takes time and guts to put young inexperienced guys out there even if they have a very good or better upside. It is a lot easier to go with the experienced pro who has stop growing even though the upside of the younger guy is superior to the level that the experienced pro has maxed out at.

Generally speaking coaches on the average make a greater difference at the grade school, high school and college level levels than they do at the pro level.
                  George Karl said that having a good coach is like having a good 4th or 5th option on your starting lineup.
                  Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                    George Karl said that having a good coach is like having a good 4th or 5th option on your starting lineup.
                    That is what I said. Where we differ is that it appears that you think that "good coaches" grow off of trees, whereas I say they are rare like jewels and yes I agree with Karl like I posted. However, I also said that it is highly unlikely one of those "good coaches" will be available for the Raptors to sign.

Comment

None the less, I'm sure there is a theoretical point at which the pressure would be SO jhigh that JT could get replaced. For example Toronto goes 0-30. I'm in a agreement with most of you that Jay is likely to be judged on the development of the young players, but a very long losing streak ,might create unbelievable pressure on Colangelo to do something.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                        That is what I said. Where we differ is that it appears that you think that "good coaches" grow off of trees, whereas I say they are rare like jewels and yes I agree with Karl like I posted. However, I also said that it is highly unlikely one of those "good coaches" will be available for the Raptors to sign.
                        Nah man I was agreeing with you. A good coach is nice to have but I think they're overrated and I think that's exactly what Karl was saying.
                        They're just easier to replace when something goes wrong.
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

My only point was if the owner of the team overshadows management and they're dumb like MLSE, you might be in trouble. I do believe Colangelo insisted MLSE stay out of the way, but what can he do but quit or tolerate them if they've changed their mind. Anyway, it's mostly irrelevant, because I don't think Triano is incompetent. I always seem to gravitate to playing devil's advocate, lol
                          My point is that Colangelo would have had an agreement when he came on board, and/or that he would leave if MLSE started making demands.

Sure, MLSE COULD demand that Colangelo have hired Triano, but the pluses would have far, far, far outweighed the minuses. Having a Canadian coach doesn't affect their bottom line in the least (which everyone says is all that matters) since no one goes to a basketball game to watch the coach. They would have risked hiring a bad coach AND alienating the most respected and decorated GM they've ever had. It doesn't make sense no matter how much you look at it.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

rev20002 wrote: View Post
                            I think your in denial of how evil MLSE really is.
                            Could you elaborate on the "evil" please?

MLSE is in the business to turn a profit. And all indications are they do in most if not all of their various entities. If you want to call that "evil" and not expound then I suppose there is not much to discuss....other than maybe having a debate on capitalism vs. ?? MLSE in turn is largely owned (thru share structure) by the Teachers Pension Fund. Your application of the term "evil" should then naturally also be extended to it.

And all because a certain basketball coach was hired? Or is it because they want to sabotage the team and profits which flow from a successful team?

Comment

Comment

BC is a solid GM there is not another GM in the league that will do a better job here in toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X