Jose Calderon Talks About Being Almost Traded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Calderon is a better up tempo point guard then Jack.

The proof of this is simple

Calderon has a career offensive rating of 120

Jack who played a number of years with the up tempo Pacers has a career offense rating of only 109.

That difference is huge. Calderon is a far superior up tempo point guard than Jack.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../jackja01.html

i agree. i've heard guys talk about jack being better at an untempo game but to me that seems way off.
    the only time i remember him being "uptempo" was when he would break and take it to the hole himself.

i remember calderon throwing most of the bad ass alley oops to weems, derozan, and amir. if we want to play through the "young guns", and calderon is commited to improvement, i say it would be a mistake to trade him and keep jack.

Comment

I think Jose has one of his better seasons this year. With Turk and Bosh gone this leaves Jose and Jack as the only guys that can create offense. I really think that having too many guys that wanted the ball in their hands last year hurt Jose, he seemed really passive all year except for when he was playing with Amir off the bench.

Basically, I think he's too nice. If you don't give him a defined role then he won't really have one since he won't force the issue. This year he'll likely be the only playmaker on the court which will benefit him.

Lastly, very classy letter. Much respect for that, could've easily not been heard from until training camp

Comment

Overall if you combine the numbers of Jack + Calderon they actually equal the same type of totals that Nash + Dragic put up last year.

So i don't get it, why is everyone saying the 2 pronged point guard attack didn't work last year??
        "Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you. That's true about the game, and in some ways about life too." ~ Michael Jordan
        ------------------------------------------
        "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit at home and think about it. Go out and get busy." ~ Dale Carnegie

Comment

I don't understand why BC is trying to trade Jose and NOT Jack ??

This team is full of young guys who can not create for themselves. They need a guy who gives them easy shots and makes the game easy for them.

Jose is a much better play maker than Jack. He does make more money but who cares ?

Is this leadership that BC is worried about ? What is behind this deal ?

Comment

i think with the Raptors core right now, both of them in the roster will probably work. We dont need a scoring point, we have potential big time scorers in Weems, Derozan and Bargs. I say big time because these three are very offensive minded, they can create their own shots and find other ways to score. Unlike with Bosh before, the offense was very stagnant, everybody's just watching him work. The only problem is we have 2 high quality backup PGs and both are not starter material. They way Triano's been shuffling the 2 is good enough. The other issue would be momentum, since you have 2 good PGs, you will have to split the minutes evenly, so if one is on a tear, he will have to stop for the other one to step in.

specially with both "open" to the idea of both of them sharing minutes then let them. i think with kleiza and maybe a defensive minded center, they could get away from the defensive lapses of Jose and Jack. Mind you we never had this issue when Garbajosa and Parker were playing together, coz both had good defense instincts and were able to cover Jose's lapses.
            Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Fri Jul 16, 2010, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I think Calderon is a great guy, but if that trade went down for Chandler and Diaw, I wouldn't be missing him that much.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                The reason is actually off the court. Jack is closer with Amir, Weems, and DeRozan off the court than Jose. I'm not advocating a Jose trade. I've always said we either get rid of Hedo or Jose, but not both. But Colangelo wants to keep team chemistry moving in the locker room while still improving the roster. And given Jose's contract...

Comment

Does anyone remember how Jose faired when he was a full time starter in 08-09? He was very accident prone. He always gets absolutely destroyed by defenders. I'd be quite happy just to have Jarret and a backup for him next season. I cant really see jose changing his defensive mindset next season.
                  We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                    i think with the Raptors core right now, both of them in the roster will probably work.
                    Well, Now the problem is not just Jose and Jack. We have Barbosa added to the mix as well.

I know some fans here think he can be used as a SG but reading Sun's blogs and ... the reason behind his trade is that he CAN NOT play the SG , he simply does not have the size.

So with the latest trade, we have almost 27 million in PG position in our team while having holes in SF and Center and ...

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                      The reason is actually off the court. Jack is closer with Amir, Weems, and DeRozan off the court than Jose. I'm not advocating a Jose trade.
                      I agree. This is the only reason that makes little sense.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                        i think with the Raptors core right now, both of them in the roster will probably work. We dont need a scoring point, we have potential big time scorers in Weems, Derozan and Bargs. I say big time because these three are very offensive minded, they can create their own shots and find other ways to score. Unlike with Bosh before, the offense was very stagnant, everybody's just watching him work. The only problem is we have 2 high quality backup PGs and both are not starter material. They way Triano's been shuffling the 2 is good enough. The other issue would be momentum, since you have 2 good PGs, you will have to split the minutes evenly, so if one is on a tear, he will have to stop for the other one to step in.

specially with both "open" to the idea of both of them sharing minutes then let them. i think with kleiza and maybe a defensive minded center, they could get away from the defensive lapses of Jose and Jack. Mind you we never had this issue when Garbajosa and Parker were playing together, coz both had good defense instincts and were able to cover Jose's lapses.
                        But, DD is not Parker and the league is now full of quick PG.
                        Not sure if Barbosa can help, if Jose/Jack are abused by someone too much.
                        Our biggest problem will be the fact that our bigs (Bargs/Amir) are soft.
                        When someone like Dorsey patrols the paint, the opposing guards
                        tend to avoid venturing in...

Comment

Jose is one of my favorite raptors and if he leaves he will be greatly missed i think we can afford to have jose on this team now due to departure of Hedo
                          ya dun noe

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                            chemistry, right now jack is at the summer league games support the younglings. calderon is not in the country. jack has those guys in the gym steady since the seasom ended, thats reason enough to keep him.

Comment

Total pro. Not that I ever want to see any of our guys in this situation, but if I had to see a guy in it, it would be Calderon simply because he's not going to be a dick about it and call Colangelo out for it (and reduce his potential value). You gotta love the guy's spirit and composure during a testing period.

Comment

I feel for the guy. Very professional and actually likes Toronto. It's just unfortunate his defence is at a varsity high school level.
                                Raptors fan for life....sadly.

Comment

Working...
                                X