Ed Davis - NBA Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Davis - NBA Comparison

Although many people said that Ed Davis reminds people of Bosh coming out of college, he plays differently then Bosh and he kinda reminds me more of a young David Robinson.

Thoughts?!

Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Although many people said that Ed Davis reminds people of Bosh coming out of college, he plays differently then Bosh and he kinda reminds me more of a young David Robinson.

Thoughts?!
    They are both left handed big men. I could see where an Ed Davis supporter could come to the conclusion you have. However, Davis college career was not in close to Robinson's in terms of success.

In Robinson's final two years, he was a consensus All-American and won college basketball's two most prestigious player awards, the Naismith and Wooden Awards as a Naval Academy first classman (senior). Robinson played his first three years for the Midshipmen under Paul Evans (who left Navy to coach at Pitt) and under former University of Georgia interim Head Coach Pete Herrmann during his senior season. Upon graduation, he became eligible for the 1987 NBA Draft and was selected by the San Antonio Spurs with the first overall pick
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_R...8basketball%29

I do remember Robinson from his days at Navy and I don't think Davis' college career was even close to Robinson's in terms of success. Robinson is a HOF player, Davis has yet to play one minute in the NBA.

The only comparison I see is as I said. They are both left handed and big. In another 5 years I may change my mind but Davis college career didn't come close to Robinson's so I see no comparison other than the two I mentioned.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
      I do remember Robinson from his days at Navy and I don't think Davis' college career was even close to Robinson's in terms of success. Robinson is a HOF player, Davis has yet to play one minute in the NBA.

The only comparison I see is as I said. They are both left handed and big. In another 5 years I may change my mind but Davis college career didn't come close to Robinson's so I see no comparison other than the two I mentioned.
      For the record, I don't see Davis ever becoming as good as a player as Robinson was so it wasn't my argument. The comparison was purley based on similar skills set both of them seem to have and how they play the game. I see Ed Davis as playing a similar game to that of Robinson if we are already looking for past comparisons.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        They are both left handed big men. I could see where an Ed Davis supporter could come to the conclusion you have. However, Davis college career was not in close to Robinson's in terms of success.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_R...8basketball%29

Davis played 1.5 yrs/seasons in college compared to 4-5 yrs for Robinson (he didnt go to the pros immediately)? Its too early to say. What kind of competition did Robinson face playing for Navy? ED played in a tough conference and had terrific coaching (Williams) alongwith his dad.

Comment

I don't see it.

He is more like Bosh but less talented. If he works hard then he can be a good starter in NBA but that is the ceiling. I can not see him as an ALLSTAR.

Comment

David Robinson age 20 stats in college:

MIN FG% FT% RPG APG TO BLks Steals PPG

33.9 60.7 62.8 13.0 0.7 2.5 5.9 1.7 22.7

Selected 1st overall the following year.

Ed Davis age 20 stats in college:

27.9 57.8 65.9 9.6 1.0 2.0 2.8 0.4 13.9

David Robison was clearly a better player at Ed Davis age which is why he was selected first overall in the 87 draft. However I do believe that if Ed Davis would have stayed in college another year he would have been a top 3 picks. David Robinson was a much more polished and complete player at that age too, however the competition and coaching at that time are not as high as they are today. Also good basketball players do not go to the Navy, they go to a top basketball colleges but because of his dad, Robinson went there and played next to inferior players who always fed him the ball (not taking anything away from David Robinson who deserves to be in the top 50 players of all time).

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
            I don't see it.

He is more like Bosh but less talented..
            Have you watched the game today?! what he did in that game is very similar to what David Robinson did in the youtube video and the potential is there for more if he becomes much stronger.
            Last edited by Hotshot; Sat Jul 17, 2010, 12:24 AM.

Comment

I'm just happy we finally get a young big guy with good to potentially great defensive instincts. Something you just can't teach. And his offensive game isn't bad at all. A little muscle (ok a LOT), some polished post moves and I don't see why he can't be like a young Admiral, or at least JO. He might not be a hall of famer, but All-star is just on the horizon for him.

Comment

i dont think davis compares to bosh at all. Davis is way more defense oriented then bosh and bosh is more of an offensive threat then davis
                ya dun noe

Comment

Ya, I don't think anyone is really comparing Davis to Bosh. The only reason there is any comparison is because Davis has claimed that Bosh is his favourite player and because he's "replacing " him". Other than that, and the fact they are both PFs, there really aren't many similarities between the two.

As for David Robinson, I'm in line with the others here in that Robinson was MUCH more skilled and polished at the same age, as well as a few inches taller, but they are/were both athletic big men with high basketball IQ's who were both good at blocking shots and rebounding.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Davis still doesn't seem to have good footwork, Robinson (and Duncan) had flawless footwork, made it seem so easy.
                    "Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you. That's true about the game, and in some ways about life too." ~ Michael Jordan
                    ------------------------------------------
                    "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit at home and think about it. Go out and get busy." ~ Dale Carnegie

Comment

I think Davis's NBA comparison should be Amir Johnson.
                      Both are athletic and can prefer to finish around the basketball, and good defense.

Comment

id say he has the body and the makings of a marcus camby, only with more of a face up game

Comment

bigmanshaq wrote: View Post
                          I think Davis's NBA comparison should be Amir Johnson.
                          Both are athletic and can prefer to finish around the basketball, and good defense.
                          Davis already has a higher basketball IQ than Amir, I think. And he's a better shot blocker. And Davis doesn't foul like Amir, although he isn't as active. And Davis seems to be well ahead of Amir at the same age offensively.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Ed Davis eddavis32

Just finished lifting bout to get something to eat with Solomon 8 minutes ago via Echofon
                            http://twitter.com/eddavis32
                            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
                            X