Raptors Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Strategy

I'm pretty sure that Bryan Colangelo thought when he got the Raptors GM job that he`d implement run-n-gun strategy in Toronto via his European connections and have in Bosh a a Stoudemire type role.

Most Euros shoot well, are supposed to be no drama, and can`t really play NBA caliber man-on-man D (which is perfect for a Phoenix-like team). He had the number one pick and drafted AB - a player who was supposed to be the next Nowitzki.

It should have been a relatively good idea except that BC and MG underestimated Nash and his importance to that style offense. Also, Bosh was no Stoudemire but rather preferred to run a half-court offense ISOs for himself (aka Ball Stopper). And finally, AB turned out to be a slightly better version of Vlad Radmanovic.

So here we are; got rid of Bosh and trying to implement another run-gun-team with more athletic players who should be able to handle their own man one-on-one.

As I see it, we definitely need to get a tough center that can lessen the load and play AB at PF sometimes.

We also need to get rid of Calderon and grab an SF to handle share time with Kleiza. Obviously, if we have`t yet gotten a good PG like Collison, it means there aren`t any good deals out there.

I`m pretty sure that whoever we receive in a potential trade will be worse than Chandler and Diaw (see Fred jones). Calderon is just mediocre on the fast break and isn`t a good enough defender in the half-court and Brown knew that.

Or we could go a different route and grab Cheikh Samb who was tearing it up in Vegas the last game and just play Marcus Banks hoping we can make a trade if a team wants to cut salary or we can draft a future PG with the multiple 1st rounders we have.
    Last edited by dagon420; Sun Jul 18, 2010, 04:51 PM.

I don't agree with you 100%. DeRozan isn't just a slasher. He can now shoot. Sure they can get up and down the court quickly but I think that they'll be able to set up the offense. This run-and-gun style only works with one team, and one team only. Everyone is always talking about finding an identity, not taking someone elses. But I do feel like that this team will try to play the fastbreak majority of the game.

Comment

Derozen can`t defend at all.

When you're in Canada, American players don`t give you preference in free agency. And we aren`t attractive because of our high taxes (so we have to overpay), especially compared to a place like Miami that has no taxes.

You can attract some international players to Toronto, where they won`t feel the need to be in the American spotlight (see Bosh not being allowed into the VIP entrance at the Mayweather fight).

Basically a run-and-gun style is necessary because of the limited talent we are able to attract. Also you have to run if you are going to have AB as the cornerstone.
      Last edited by dagon420; Sun Jul 18, 2010, 05:23 PM.

Comment

In reference to the Samb thing.... Its hard to want a player based on one solid game... but I would rather him as a back up than POB or Rasho. And maybe even Bobby Brown instead of Marcus Banks.
        "Ball"

Comment

dagon420 wrote: View Post
          Derozen can`t defend at all.

When you're in Canada, American players don`t give you preference in free agency. And we aren`t attractive because of our high taxes (so we have to overpay), especially compared to a place like Miami that has no taxes.

You can attract some international players to Toronto, where they won`t feel the need to be in the American spotlight (see Bosh not being allowed into the VIP entrance at the Mayweather fight).

Basically a run-and-gun style is necessary because of the limited talent we are able to attract. Also you have to run if you are going to have AB as the cornerstone.
          DeRozan has the skills to be an above average defender. Last year NO ONE looked good on defense. To say he can't defend at all is a massive, massive exaggeration.

And American players will go to successful organizations, whether or not they are in Canada. Sure, there are some players who are prejudiced against playing in Canada, but I think there are far more players who are prejudiced against playing in cold weather climates, no matter which side of the border you're on. And a losing organization is certainly not going to draw many free agents. The Clippers SHOULD have been a sought after location this summer, but it wasn't. Still, if the Raptors become a successful organization, they should be able to draw free agents. I think it's become well known enough now how good a city Toronto is, that the fact that it's in Canada isn't going to stop most free agents.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

ReeZen wrote: View Post
            In reference to the Samb thing.... Its hard to want a player based on one solid game... but I would rather him as a back up than POB or Rasho. And maybe even Bobby Brown instead of Marcus Banks.
            Well, I'm betting Marcus Banks would look, at least, as good as Bobby Brown did if he played in the summer league (but probably a whole lot better). That is one of the problems with watching summer league. Players look far better than they really are, most of the time, or need I remind you of the great Quincy Douby?
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

How about you, me and Ronald Dupree as a backup SF to Klieza? How's that for a strategy?
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                DeRozan has the skills to be an above average defender. Last year NO ONE looked good on defense. To say he can't defend at all is a massive, massive exaggeration.

And American players will go to successful organizations, whether or not they are in Canada. Sure, there are some players who are prejudiced against playing in Canada, but I think there are far more players who are prejudiced against playing in cold weather climates, no matter which side of the border you're on. And a losing organization is certainly not going to draw many free agents. The Clippers SHOULD have been a sought after location this summer, but it wasn't. Still, if the Raptors become a successful organization, they should be able to draw free agents. I think it's become well known enough now how good a city Toronto is, that the fact that it's in Canada isn't going to stop most free agents.

I dunno, the Raptors have never really been that good. All our superstars have left by their own choice. Don't think that there is no nationalism among NBA players. Also, American media always makes fun of Canada, so I'm sure it plays in stars minds when they think how their brand is gonna be established.

Comment

Dagon420,

If you are in fact a Canadian you should be shy about making the same inaccurate statements on the tax differential between playing in some states and Canada as do many of our uninformed cousins to the south. It is the state of Florida which has no state income tax. Thats it. Everyone pays Federal tax. The city or county (Dade) levies its own taxes as does our own fair city...and province (comparable to state in the US). I understand (but open to correction) that the comparable gain to the player who chooses Miami over Toronto is about 5%. Nothing to sneeze at but good money management/investments can mitigate some of that difference. Besides, not all good players get to play in Florida & Texas only.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                    Dagon420,

If you are in fact a Canadian you should be shy about making the same inaccurate statements on the tax differential between playing in some states and Canada as do many of our uninformed cousins to the south. It is the state of Florida which has no state income tax. Thats it. Everyone pays Federal tax. The city or county (Dade) levies its own taxes as does our own fair city...and province (comparable to state in the US). I understand (but open to correction) that the comparable gain to the player who chooses Miami over Toronto is about 5%. Nothing to sneeze at but good money management/investments can mitigate some of that difference. Besides, not all good players get to play in Florida & Texas only.
                    Canada's income tax system is more heavily biased against the highest income earners, thus while Canada's income tax rate is higher on average, the bottom fifty percent of the population is roughly taxed the same on income as in the United States. However, Canada has a national goods and services tax of 5% on most purchases, while the U.S. federal government does not, increasing the tax burden on Canadian low-income earners due to the regressive nature of a sales tax

Thats a quote from wikipedia so I don't know who to trust.

Comment

I dunno, the Raptors have never really been that good. All our superstars have left by their own choice. Don't think that there is no nationalism among NBA players. Also, American media always makes fun of Canada, so I'm sure it plays in stars minds when they think how their brand is gonna be established.
                      The Raptors two best players both signed extensions and only left when the organization failed them. It had nothing to do with where they played, but who they played with.

And most of the American media who make fun of Canada have never actually been here. The players have, and Toronto, the city, actually apparently has a pretty good reputation among the players. If the organization had the same reputation as the city, the Raptors would have much less difficulty attracting free agents.
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Canada's income tax system is more heavily biased against the highest income earners, thus while Canada's income tax rate is higher on average, the bottom fifty percent of the population is roughly taxed the same on income as in the United States. However, Canada has a national goods and services tax of 5% on most purchases, while the U.S. federal government does not, increasing the tax burden on Canadian low-income earners due to the regressive nature of a sales tax

Thats a quote from wikipedia so I don't know who to trust.
                        To compare tax systems fairly I believe one must also do so with quality of life conditions. This takes the discussion beyond the basketball world and into the lifestyles of multimillionaires which is frankly of no interest to me.

There are plenty of stories (a google will get you some) of why Lebron switched/not pick locations (incl. NY and Chi.) because of tax savings in Miami. So Toronto is not alone in that argument.

Comment

Working...
                        X