Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Barnesgate" Ends - Signs 2-Year Deal With Lakers (Update: Pg. 23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, there are issues with the Matt Barnes trade/signing, issues that popped up about 15 minutes after the head hit the pillow last night judging by the flurry of e-mails that greeted me this morning.

Issues? Yes. Dead? No.

This is not Tyson Chandler and Michael Jordan, this is salary cap machinations the Raptors and Orlando Magic have to work through.

And they will give it their best shot.
    Source: Doug Smith's Blog

Comment

• Buddahfan wrote: View Post
      The Raptors never issued a PR on this deal.

This was a rumor fueled by Yahoo and ESPN. I should have known better than to rely on ESPN for anything. My bad.
      Lol no worries, the raps just got to move Jose, Evans, and bel contracts to make room for barnes.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
        Lol no worries, the raps just got to move Jose, Evans, and bel contracts to make room for barnes.
        I don't believe moving them helps on a S&T because the issue on the S&T is on the Magic side not the Raptors side.

I am also not so sure that a salary dump would work for a straight free agent signing because of the huge TPE that the Raptors have, though I could be wrong on this. Even if the TPE didn't count I am not so sure that the Raptors could buy out Evans or Banks that cheaply and then renounce them so that the Raptors could sign Barnes for $5 million. Remember for the Raptors to sign a free agent at this point other than by using the veterans minimum or non-bird exception the total salary cap hold of the Raptors would still have to be under the salary cap limit after the free agent signing unless the Raptors used an exception to sign a player. In this case a salary dump wouldn't matter or be needed.

The only way I could see a salary dump working is if the Raptors bought out both Evans and Banks for very little and renounced the Raptors rights to them. I know of no reason why Banks and Evans would agree to a low ball buyout at this point.

The problem here is how can the Magic sign him and then trade him to the Raptors. I am not familiar enough with the Magic's current payroll situation to comment on it. I relied on Stein of ESPN before when he said it was happening. At this point we will just have to wait and see and keep our fingers crossed
        Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Jul 20, 2010, 10:44 AM.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
          A team that is under the cap would have to be willing to take them on without sending any players back - ie, they'd have to for some reason decide that Reggie Evans or Bellinelli is worth sacrificing their hard-earned cap room for. Besides, there is absolutely no way Barnes is worth sacrificing 7+ million in expiring contracts plus Jose Calderon for nothing. In my opinion Barnes isn't even worth Jose in a straight up trade.

Comment

• Wait...I may be confused a little...Does the TPE count against the cap? If not, then the Raps are only about 7m or so above the cap.

Also, I thought there was a rule that only teams above the cap, but below the luxury tax, could use the MLE...if that isn't a rule, then it damn well should be, as it shouldn't be allowed that a team can spend whatever the hell it wants on players and be 30m over the cap, and still be allowed to sign a player - a good player - for just under 6m. There's gotta be some kinda penalty other than financial for a team to be so far above the cap. Obviously, if a team is willing to pay the luxury tax, then money isn't that big a deal.

EDIT - In fact, f that. There should be a hard cap at the luxury tax line. No way should teams be allowed to stock pile players the way the heat, lakers, magic and celtics ave. It's bullshit for the league.

That's my rant. Hostetler out.
            Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Tue Jul 20, 2010, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• Count me in the camp of fans not excited about adding Matt Barnes to the roster. There's too much hype around this guy, IMO. I see him being not far off from a Hedo 2, actually. Different player, yes, but the hype and expectations are way too high. Hopefully I'll be able to resurrect this post again next year as proof I called it.
              "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
              ~Rorschach

Comment

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                In my opinion Barnes isn't even worth Jose in a straight up trade.
                That's debateable but like you guys are pointing out this a hard trade to make work. Let's hope this turns out good, I prefer barnes rather then diaw at the sf spot so if they find a way, great ,if not then the summer is still early

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                  I've wanted to see barnes in a raps uni for a long time, so i'll be disappointed if this falls through. Is it possible for use to use our trade exception for gortat, then execute a sign and trade for barnes? Can the raps just find any team with cap room and execute a sign and trade with them for our trade exception?

Tim W. as our resident expert on all things trade related your thoughts?
                  Don't know how I became the expert on all things trade related, but no, another team can't do a sign and trade for a player from another team. If they sign him, they would have to wait until December 15th to trade him. As for using our trade exception, the problem is that Orlando simply doesn't have any financial flexibility to sign Barnes for anything more than the $1.8 million (or whatever it is) that has been mentioned. None. This is the danger of a player signing a 1 year deal with a club that is over the cap. The idea of trading for Gortat unfortunately doesn't open up room because all it would do is give them a trade exception of their own, which you can't use to sign free agents except in....a sign and trade. Since Barnes is their own free agent, they can't use it to sign him.

Again, I see absolutely no way this deal (the way it's currently structured) can ever go through. The Raptors aren't in any position to offer Barnes any more than anyone else can offer him, and I think that was their ace in the hole with him (unless it was a promise to start). In the end, Barnes will either end up signing elsewhere or for the Raptors for the $1.8 million, in my opinion.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• For what is it worth after doing my own due diligence on this ESPN just put out something that concurs with what I am figuring the current situation is

Barnes To Raptors Hits Major Snag
                    Jul 20, 2010 8:54 AM EST

Matt Barnes announced on Monday night that he is going to sign with the Raptors.

However, ESPN.com's Marc Stein reports that Orlando's limited sign-and-trade options may scuttle the deal, according to sources.

Barnes is expecting to sign a two-year, $10 million deal.

The Raptors and Magic will resume discussions on a sign-and-trade Tuesday. However, because of the financial standing of both clubs, it's possible that Barnes may have to agree to new terms.

Toronto recently spent the bulk of its $5.8 million mid-level exception to sign Linas Kleiza. They don't have the available funds to sign Barnes outright to a deal that starts in the neighborhood of $4 million.

The Magic are prevented by salary-cap rules from starting a sign-and-trade deal for Barnes at higher than $2 million, because Orlando doesn't have Barnes' full Bird rights after employing him for only one season.

Via ESPN
                    http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wir...ts_major_snag/

So I am guessing that Barnes would have to agree to take a little less than $2 million from the Magic for 10-11 in order for a S&T between them and anyone, not just the Raptors to happen.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

• There is one other way. They can't do a S&T with Orlando but they can do a S&T with Denver. My guess now is that Colangelo is on the horn talking with Denver trying to work a S&T for Kleiza so that he can then reallocate the MLE to Matt Barnes.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        There is one other way. They can't do a S&T with Orlando but they can do a S&T with Denver. My guess now is that Colangelo is on the horn talking with Denver trying to work a S&T for Kleiza so that he can then reallocate the MLE to Matt Barnes.
                        Kleiza is already a Raptors unless the Nuggets matched the offer which from what I've heard they haven't.. He just hasn't been officially announced yet.

Comment

• Can't they just sign and trade right now for 1.8 mil and then mid way through the season extend his contract

Comment

• Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                            For what is it worth after doing my own due diligence on this ESPN just put out something that concurs with what I am figuring the current situation is

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wir...ts_major_snag/

So I am guessing that Barnes would have to agree to take a little less than $2 million from the Magic for 10-11 in order for a S&T between them and anyone, not just the Raptors to happen.
                            I don't understand how anyone can "print" these stories to begin with. I knew it was impossible the minute I heard it, so why didn't anyone who actually works at covering the NBA notice anything? Or did they, and they didn't care? This is my big problem with the press these days. They are so quick to put anything out there that they don't think about whether it might be true or not. It doesn't matter. I quick five minutes of research would have told you something was off, but no one did their due diligence or no one cared enough to add this.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                              Don't know how I became the expert on all things trade related, but no, another team can't do a sign and trade for a player from another team. If they sign him, they would have to wait until December 15th to trade him. As for using our trade exception, the problem is that Orlando simply doesn't have any financial flexibility to sign Barnes for anything more than the $1.8 million (or whatever it is) that has been mentioned. None. This is the danger of a player signing a 1 year deal with a club that is over the cap. The idea of trading for Gortat unfortunately doesn't open up room because all it would do is give them a trade exception of their own, which you can't use to sign free agents except in....a sign and trade. Since Barnes is their own free agent, they can't use it to sign him.

Again, I see absolutely no way this deal (the way it's currently structured) can ever go through. The Raptors aren't in any position to offer Barnes any more than anyone else can offer him, and I think that was their ace in the hole with him (unless it was a promise to start). In the end, Barnes will either end up signing elsewhere or for the Raptors for the $1.8 million, in my opinion.
                              because you always have the goods!
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                There is one other way. They can't do a S&T with Orlando but they can do a S&T with Denver. My guess now is that Colangelo is on the horn talking with Denver trying to work a S&T for Kleiza so that he can then reallocate the MLE to Matt Barnes.
                                This is the part I don't get. The Raptors offered Kleiza, a RFA, an $18M contract. 7 days later the Denver Nuggets don't match. So therefore, Kleiza is a Raptor. How can we then tell Denver that we want to sign-and-trade for Kleiza? He's no longer theirs! Unless there's some way to tear up the contract, and redo the whole process... but if that's the case, why didn't Dallas or Chicago do the same thing with Gortat or Reddick? Did Orlando absolutely hate everything on their rosters that they refused to SNT?

Comment

Working...
                                X