Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Matt Barnes The Best Perimeter Defender In Raptors History?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Matt Barnes The Best Perimeter Defender In Raptors History?

Help me out here since I've only been watching since about 2001. But I'm having trouble thinking of anyone we've had at the wing that would be a better defender than Barnes. The only player that comes to mind is Doug Christie but he was before my time.

A quick scan of the Raptors wikipedia page and these are the names he's up against:

Doug Christie
    Carlos Delfino
    Shawn Marion
    Jamario Moon
    Anthony Parker
    Morris Peterson
    Antoine Wright
    Tracy McGrady

My memory is fuzzy on how some of these guys played but there isn't really much competition here.
    Last edited by hilfgott; Mon Jul 19, 2010, 10:19 PM.

tracy !

Comment

Whoops, I'll add him.

Comment

hilfgott wrote: View Post
        Help me out here since I've only been watching since about 2001. But I'm having trouble thinking of anyone we've had at the wing that would be a better defender than Barnes. The only player that comes to mind is Doug Christie but he was before my time.

A quick scan of the Raptors wikipedia page and these are the names he's up against:

Doug Christie
        Carlos Delfino
        Shawn Marion
        Jamario Moon
        Anthony Parker
        Morris Peterson
        Antoine Wright
        Tracy McGrady

My memory is fuzzy on how some of these guys played but there isn't really much competition here.
        Morris Peterson ? can i say 81 on him and jalen rose

Comment

... People... Doug Christie by a long shot. Not too much competition?... Yeah, for Doug.

Comment

Doug Christie

2000-01
            All Defense 2nd Team
            2001-02
            All Defense 2nd Team
            2002-03
            All Defense 1st Team
            2003-04
            All Defense 2nd Team

NBA.com

Comment

Why is Doug Smith saying were paying Barnes $9 million a season, I can only hope he miswrote.

Comment

rev20002 wrote: View Post
                Why is Doug Smith saying were paying Barnes $9 million a season, I can only hope he miswrote.
                Its about $10 million for two years with the second year I believe being either a player or team option
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Let me answer your thread???

Yes...yess..double yes...plz there was no better,why don't u go ask kobe...
                  Kobe has top 5 guys he hates playing against...

1. Raja Bell
                  2. Matt Barnes
                  3. Ron Artest
                  4. Shane Battier
                  5. Bruce Bowen

Ohh yeah..I know some ppl don't like the signing...but I like it,this signing is for DEMAR DEROZAN...period..he let's the kid just concentrate on offense and let's barnes guard best players....
                  Last edited by Dr Hannibal Lecter; Mon Jul 19, 2010, 10:48 PM. Reason: grammar
                  "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                  My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

How many all defense teams has Barnes made? Maybe Doug isn't on the list because Doug isn't in the league?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      2000-01
                      All Defense 2nd Team
                      2001-02
                      All Defense 2nd Team
                      2002-03
                      All Defense 1st Team
                      2003-04
                      All Defense 2nd Team

NBA.com
                      So Matt Barnes is the best we've had since Christie. Who left in 2000, before he made any of those teams.

Can we agree on that?

Comment

Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                        Yes...yess..double yes...plz there was no better,why don't u go ask kobe...
                        Kobe has top 5 guys he hates playing against...

1. Raja Bell
                        2. Matt Barnes
                        3. Ron Artest
                        4. Shane Battier
                        5. Bruce Bowen

Ohh yeah..I know some ppl don't like the signing...but I like it,this signing is for DEMAR DEROZAN...period..he let's the kid just concentrate on offense and let's barnes guard best players....
                        I forget where i read this but Kobe apparently was urging the Lakers to sign him right after Raja went to the Jazz. So yeah you are right Kobe really hates playing against him which just makes this a better signing to me. I hope Barnes gets in some of the Heat players heads

Comment

hilfgott wrote: View Post
                          So Matt Barnes is the best we've had since Christie. Who left in 2000, before he made any of those teams.

Can we agree on that?
                          I listed what he accomplish was used to illustrate his abilities. He was still good enough to make those teams while on the Raptors. I'm just trying to provide a reality check. Barnes is tough and solid defender but he's not making any all-defense teams any time soon. I can agree to this.

Comment

Boooo! Drink the kool aid!

Comment

Remember that time when Reggie Evans was just about to finish rehabbing and get back to the games? Yeah. People were like, Reggie's gonna grab every rebound and scare all opposing bigs away because that's just what he does! We all know what happened after that...

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and put Barnes on a pedestal for his godly defense without him even putting on the uniform yet. You gotta wonder, if he's THAT good, then why hasn't anybody else grabbed the guy for 10 mil yet?

Here's to hoping he would perform at least better than Antoine did last season, esp. on offense.

Comment

Working...
                              X