Marketing The Miami Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing The Miami Heat

When LBJ, Wade and Bosh joined forces on the same team, I believed (and fully expected) many sportswriters to point out the obvious: that it diminishes the reputation of each of them that they'd rather form a defacto all-star team to claim a title than to play against each other and EARN a title.... and to be fair, I did comments to that effect being made here and there.

However, overwhelmingly, what I've witnessed are sportswriters wholly embracing the new Heat team as some sort of dynasty to be. Any questions surrounding the integrity or competitivenes of these high-profile athletes have quickly been brushed aside in favour of an editorial "love-in" with the newly formed Heat.

That raises two questions:

First, does the close relationship of sports columnists with teams and athletes create a conflict of interest because the media are increasingly unwilling to be critical of their superstar meal tickets?

Second, do I have it wrong? By effectively reducing the level of competitiveness and quality of play in the East by banding together on one team, have the three amigos helped or hurt the reputation of the NBA? I say it hurts the league. Am I wrong?

For most players, the NBA is about up to 3 things: Money, Winning, and legacy.

For a player like Antoine Walker, the NBA is all about money. For a player like Kobe Bryant, the NBA is all about winning and legacy.

For Bosh, Wade, and LeBron? I think it's safe to say it's a little about money (that's why they wanted S&Ts instead of signing outright - 8% vs 10% raises makes a big difference, a lot about winning, and a little about legacy. Maybe not legacy of the players individually, but the legacy of the team.

In 20 years time when people write about the Miami Heat team featuring LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh, it might go something like this:

"But the Heat Trinity of the 2010-2020 decade, formed after LeBron James controversially left Cleveland to sign with the Heat, was undoubtedly one of the most talented teams in NBA history). It showed that players aren't always in it for the money, that winning is sometimes more important, and that by banding together to form a dynasty can lead to some of the most entertaining NBA finals in the history of the sport"

One thing you'll notice is that LeBron leaving Cleveland is an afterthought. In 20 years, for everyone not from Cleveland, that's what it will be (hell probably even before 20 years). Another thing you'll notice is that Bosh leaving Toronto isn't even mentioned, just as it's barely mentioned now after LeBron's publicity stunt.

Here's the thing: Before this off season the Toronto Raptors were a non-playoff team, the Heat were a first-round exit playoff team, and the Cavaliers were a 60-win season team. After this off season, the Toronto Raptors are probably the same, Cleveland may take on Miami's role or be a bit worse, and Miami becomes the new 60-win team. The difference now is that Miami can actually make some noise in the playoffs. If that's the case, then you're IMPROVING the level of competitiveness in the East.

Comment

I thought this was a pretty good article talking about LeBron's decision to sign with the Heat.

Comment

TRX wrote: View Post
        I thought this was a pretty good article talking about LeBron's decision to sign with the Heat.
        ... and I thought it was yet another rationalization for why being the best in the NBA is no longer about competing against the best.

How do you win the NBA title? Do you compete against the best basketball players in the world and beat them? Nope. You admit that you're not good enough on your own, and that you don't want to have to work for it... and then you get a bunch of all-stars together so that you don't HAVE to work for it.... and then you tell the world that if you lose,it'd be so tragic, it'd be just like 9/11.

I may cheer for the Raps this year, but overall I think the competition level in the NBA is a joke. These guys don't want to try. They want it handed to them. As far as I'm concerned they've done the impossible: they've made me admire Kobe.

Comment

Working...
        X