Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colangelo Speaks To Season-Tix Holders (July 20/10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo Speaks To Season-Tix Holders (July 20/10)

Just came across this from another forum that I go on.

There was a season ticket holder event atthe Real Sports Bar yesterday. This is a transcript of BC addressing the crowd courtesy of TicaL0:

TicaLO wrote:
    (from what I can remember)

~ Excited about the young guys
    ~ Talk of the summer league; other GMs raving about Demar/Sonny/Davis
    ~ Davis has overwhelmed them in terms of what they got for the 13th pick
    ~ looks undersized but is hitting the gym hard; hasn't lifted weights in 6 months due to wrist injury
    ~ in a great situation with the TPE
    ~ looking to be even more flexible in years to come
    ~ currently 10-12 mill under TAX threshold = options
    ~ actively scouring the league for 'the right piece'
    ~ threw a few cheap jabs at JORDAN for the bobcats trade
    ~ reiterated (as per many reports) that the BARNES mishap is not their fault ... (reports say barnes' agent messed up with the #'s of what orlando could do in terms of an S&T)
    ~ Says BARNES deal isn't dead but a few other teams are now in the bidding for him
    ~ BARNES addresses their desire of a gritty tough guy who can shoot, athletic and play multiple positions
    ~ Big Believer of MOVING ON; wasn't willing to TRY TURK out ~ would rather just move on
    ~ Talks about Barbosa and how great of a kid/player he is; before they drafted him they saw a video of him and a bunch of coaches standing in the background and this guy 'blurring' by them back/forth dropping buckets;
    ~ ONE MAN FASTBREAK
    ~ is a combo guard 1/2; will be used as such
    ~ Mentioned Jack went out of his way to go to Vegas; didnt need too; showed great leadership (basically alluding Jose's gone)
    ~ Mentioned Joey Dorsey at least a handful of times. good praise. maybe thot of keeping him on the roster?
    ~ 2 players that aren't guaranteed; Dorsey and Dwayne Jones; gives them even more flexibility should they not hang around
    ~ Says he knows very little about Dwayne Jones; he'll be working out with Ed Davis in Richmond this week; coaches going down there to monitor
    ~ Someone in the crowd asked about defense; says they gotta play on both ends of the floor and everyone is committed to it
    ~ Says PJ was brought in for a reason; he curses alot but all in good spirit; respected by players and coaches; will make an impact on the culture thats needed
    ~ Marc Iavronni gone...(tho he was BC's guy, didn't seem like bryan gave a crap; wished him well)
    ~ Someone asked (who cares??) about Rasho and Antoine Wright and bringing them back ... BC shut it down (all the while looking at this guy like wtf, are u serious?)
    ~ said they loved Rasho a few years ago, his leadership skill was great; brought him back for his leadership; ended up not working out as he remained loyal to TURK and wud often shun out the 'right thing to do' in the locker room all outta respect for turkoglu
    ~ Wright fit in well ... media loved him because he loved the mic/camera ...wasn't consistent enough and often said the WRONG thing in interviews... he'll def land somewhere
    ~ all but confirmed a rift in the lockeroom last season b/w euro's and north Americans; guys complaining that everyone should be speaking ENGLISH with each other; there's supposed to be TRUST between teammates and that deterred that;
    ~ Said we did well in the first half; chris got hurt, locker room uneasiness led to complete failure in the second round
    ~ Excited about not being 'tied' down to a MAX contract
    ~ Says we can grow our guys and build cap space but 'LAYING DOWN' is NOT IN MY DNA and we're going to put a product on the floor that you will be proud of

After all that, i wasn't satisfied and had a few more q's that I needed to know ... so i lined up to Q&A him ...

Q... it's obv a youth movement but is that it? are we looking to just let these guys GROW or push towards something ?

BC... we're excited about the youth movement; at the same time we know our guys need help and guidance; we're actively looking around to make this team better; we're not tanking, we're assessing a few options and looking for the 'right pieces' to move forward

Q... are you looking to add ONE BIG PIECE to this puzzle or a few smaller components
    BC... (FAVORITE PART HERE....) one of my buddies was holding a camera at BC and after I asked the Q, he goes 'hey, you're not recording this are you?..don't record this...' ... Then goes on to say ... well, YEA! I'm looking for that ONE PIECE, that lightning rod that'll strike the guys and bring everything together and push this thing forward

Q...buddy asks...Euro vs NA players...do the euro's not seem like they're not as aggressive/motivated?
    BC...No-NO...I dont believe that for a SECOND (actions act like he's almost disgusted at the q). We look for the BEST BASKETBALL PLAYERS, doesn't matter where they are ..

further goes on... we got a guy coming in in Linus Kleiza. The guy has a ton of 'brother' in him (lol). He grew up in NYC, New Jersey area, played with a bunch of tough guys in Denver. He's exactly what we need(ed), he's tough as nails and isn't going to back down from anybody. Very happy about this guy, and you will be too.

Q ... Barnes?
    BC ... can't say much, but he FITS the mold of what we're trying to do. This league doesn't have many GOOD/REAL Post players and many are going towards a more guard oriented lineup. There will be times we will have 3 guards on the floor.. whether it be JOSE.. for now (....yes, he said 'for now'), Jarret, Leandro, Sonny, Demar, Linas... we're going to be an athletic, uptempo team that gets up and down the floor... on BOTH ends of the court

...From earlier... a fan asked .... with all this change and growth and youth push, my question is .. Are YOU going to hang around or leave us hanging?

BC... I'm here AS LONG AS THEY WANT ME here.. I LOVE THE CITY, MY FAMILY LOVES it, it's home to us now and I have no intentions of leaving.
    *Read even more of BC's Q/A responses - LINK

I wanted to attend this event but I'm in the process of moving, so it's hard to get out...lol. Anyhow, this is very interesting news, to me anyhow. What ya'll think?
    Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Fri Jul 23, 2010, 08:58 AM.
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

nice find. sounds like bc was giving out more info then he should have and that's why he didn't want it to be recorded.

~ all but confirmed a rift in the lockeroom last season b/w euro's and north Americans; guys complaining that everyone should be speaking ENGLISH with each other; there's supposed to be TRUST between teammates
    argh, I hate when people do that. you're in canada it's english especially in ontario.

We tried making things work. We got another BIG guy to compliment him in JO...didn't work. We got turk, which to many in the league seemed like one helluva move... Didn't work. CHRIS is a great talent, but he NEEDS a Dwayne Wade, Lebron or Kobe.
    so true. he just couldn't say it with chris on the team. Colangelo can finally work his magic and turn this team into a contender.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Thank's for posting this, very interesting. I'm surprised by the Rasho comment:

"said they loved Rasho a few years ago, his leadership skill was great; brought him back for his leadership; ended up not working out as he remained loyal to TURK and wud often shun out the 'right thing to do' in the locker room all outta respect for turkoglu"

Rasho always seemed very much like a team guy, didn't think that would have been and issue.

I also liked the explanation about not moving Bosh at the deadline. It's good to know there was an attempt and we just weren't getting enough back.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I like his attitude about not laying down and all, but i really don't like him referring to the team as "product" we can be proud of. He also says he is looking fo that "lightning rod" to bring it all together and i just dont know he can i mean our biggest need is a legit defensive PG and a true center it will be tough but i guess if anyone can it's BC.
        "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

I like the way how BC rolls, this guy knows what he is doing.

Comment

Good post, good read

Comment

Very encouraging read. Thanks for finding it.

Comment

Thanks guys. I really like BC's honesty though. He tells you his mindframe going into deals, the outcome, whether positive or negative, and the quickness at which he takes action towards his mistakes. Effort is all we can ask for.
                The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

Comment

Yeah,the whole rasho thing,who knew.

Comment

That was the best read I've had in a while. Thanks, Gamebreaker.

Youve spoiled me. I expect to hear from you again a year from now

Dont let me down

EJ

Comment

Very interesting and your memory of the conversation is some Rain Man type stuff. lol

If BC said the stuff about "the guy has a ton of 'brother' in him" in front of me, I'd slap him upside the head. If anyone says anything about 'Euro's' everyone's up in arms but he makes a comment like that and it's cool? I'm on the other side of the fence on this one so I don't like it.

As for the not being tied down to a Max contract and 'stagnant offence' comments, he wasn't saying any of that stuff before Chris left, but I'm not surprised.

Very interesting read though and glad you were able to retain so much info. Next time try and get his cell #!

Comment

I like the direction we are going in. I've said it from the start of F/A that this was now Bryans team, I don't even believe he really tried to push Chris to resign but rather just said it to please people over! I want MLSE to give him a 2 or 3 years on his contract, at most. He has the chance to whip it into something good.

The problem I do have however, is this issue with 'tank' or 'no tank.' For me this stands with MLSE as a whole, BB won't do it with the Leafs, and I think that team is doomed and now BC won't do it with the Raps. We have a great young core. DD can grow to be a great franchise, Weems will be a great Role player, ED could be a great starting PF big man. But we should consider tanking going for a good PG in the draft, and maybe picking up a 2nd rounder from someone. It's time to watch a young team on the floor and draft good young players.

No more building off the fly, the future lies within:
                        Ed,
                        Demar

Role players include but are not subject to:
                        Amir
                        Weems
                        Jack

Comment

I still can't believe people are hating on Bryan. He's smart, a HUGE fan of basketball, and is 100% dedicated to making this team win. What this team needs is a BARNES type of player or a vet 5, like maybe Boone. Calderon is the piece that has to fall to make either possible. It's unfortunate that a guy who loves the team and city has to go, but it isn't the first time a Toronto team has traded away people who want to stay.

This is our team essentially.
                          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Lots of good info. Nice.

Comment

EarthJuice wrote: View Post
                              That was the best read I've had in a while. Thanks, Gamebreaker.

Youve spoiled me. I expect to hear from you again a year from now

Dont let me down

EJ
                              Yessir!! Lol. Again this was from a dude who was actually there. It was an open floor discussion to the tic holders. Dude recorded some of it, I believe. So he shared it with everyone. Good on him for that still.

Comment

Working...
                              X