No announcement yet.

Colangelo Ranked 27th Best NBA GM By SBNation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JO had his moments before BC Decided he couldnt play along side bosh because they were both to similar.= ya it was a bad move but u got to remember that TJ(the main player we traded was even more injury prone"broken neck"+ was causing problems in the dressing room) BC just made the best available deal.. granted he should have kept his 1st rounder.

Marion had his moments aswell(mainly when CB4 was off the floor & the ball was moving better) everyone knows "the matrix isnt a half court type player" except maybe triano because he never altered any offensive sets" it was just pass to Bosh & let him score!
    sure marion wasnt as good without Nash but still he could have been used more by T.O= again BC just made the best available deal+ again i wish he'd kept his 1st rounder.

Turk was a big mistake yes, lazy bum yes, out of shape yes, but triano was too soft with him( Turk needs a SVG type coach to light a fire under his butt) i blame BC for signing him yes but i blame triano & turk more for the way it turned out!

the one constant through all these players tenures with T.O was that Bosh would just control the ball way too much for them to be effective on offense & JO & marion werent as good on the defensive end as they once had been.

I personaly think BC's biggest blunder was & is fireing Sam Mitchell & hiring Triano, if BC never canned Sam i feel that the last 2 seasons would not have gone as bad as they did, & futher more if BC felt Sam had to go he could have hired 1 of many quality NBA coach's that were available. im a firm believer that a team takes on the identity & personality of its coach & Triano is just way too soft & nice!!! he made a good assistant though LOL

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
      I don't understand the argument that Colangelo should not be held accountable for the failures of his most high-profile moves because he "had no idea that Jermaine O'Neal, Marion or Turkoglu would perform so badly in Toronto". All three of those moves had red flags from the start, and if Colangelo did not have the foresight or deductive reasoning to avoid them then he should be condemned for the moves, not excused because the players underachieved.
      I'm not saying he shouldn't be held accountable, just that you can't call him a bad GM because he makes high-profile moves. You know what else was a high-profile move with a huge red flag? Steve Nash. He was getting old, and even Mark freakin' Cuban didn't want to offer him that contract.

BC is all for making high-risk high-reward moves. If he did these moves without correcting them, then he'd be a bad GM. But the fact is, he makes these moves and if they don't work out, he goes out and fixes them. One of these days he will get lucky again and strike gold (Nash), but until then he's also making some very sound talent and financial decisions that prevent him from being soley a gambler.

Comment

colangelo might be ranked 27th but he's bring excitement every off season, he always explores

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
          I'm not saying he shouldn't be held accountable, just that you can't call him a bad GM because he makes high-profile moves. You know what else was a high-profile move with a huge red flag? Steve Nash. He was getting old, and even Mark freakin' Cuban didn't want to offer him that contract.

BC is all for making high-risk high-reward moves. If he did these moves without correcting them, then he'd be a bad GM. But the fact is, he makes these moves and if they don't work out, he goes out and fixes them. One of these days he will get lucky again and strike gold (Nash), but until then he's also making some very sound talent and financial decisions that prevent him from being soley a gambler.
          That's just it though... when you gamble, you end up looking like a fool a lot of the time. 15 years as a Raptors fan and I'm no longer interested in looking like a fool. I'm supposed to take solace in the butchering of the Raptors because Colangelo signed Steve Nash to the Suns when no one thought he should? The countless bad moves he's made since then hold a lot more weight for me than the Amare pick/nash signing that saw him strike gold.

Comment

Countless? I can count them on one hand: Jermaine O'Neal, Hedo Turkoglu, Jason Kapono, and Jose Calderon. I counted his good moves in a previous post in this thread, you should check them out. Not to mention that his draft history is pretty good (queue the Brandon Roy crying in 3, 2...).

Comment

all GM's make mistakes most cant count with both feet & hands the mistakes they've made, BC has made a few but to say he should be fired when nobody better would be hired isnt helping anyone. to say were worse off now then when he started wouldnt be fair aswell. all the trades u mentioned were for better players every time CV=TJ=JO=Matrix=Turk=barbosa. he gave up a few too many picks along the way but name one of the players who were drafted using those picks that is any better then the players we aquired?

I agree he should have selected Brandon Roy 1st over all instead of Bargs but thats cause we needed a SG more then another PF. at the time there was no sure fire 1st over all pick like other years so it was really a crap shoot at the time anyway.

Comment

Roy Hibbert is probably better than Jermaine O'Neal in this stage of the game. As for the other pick, it came back from Miami after Colangelo failed to retain Chris Bosh.

Comment

have u actually watched hibbert play? he dont show much passion most nights & hes about as slow as JO at this stage & hibbert isnt to old either.i dont like hibberts game at all & colangelo never failed to retain CB4 he simply didnt want to have him back! & he sure as hell wasnt givin him max $ to stay. the team will be better off without Bosh in the long run.

Comment

Hibbert is awful. For all the flack Bargs gets about not rebounding like a centre, neither does Hibbert! If you want to complain, complain that we didn't use the 17th pick ourselves, when Courtney Lee, Batum, Hickson, McGee, and Ibaka were available.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                      colangelo never failed to retain CB4 he simply didnt want to have him back! & he sure as hell wasnt givin him max $ to stay. the team will be better off without Bosh in the long run.
                      actually bc did make bosh many contract extensions... not sure how anyone living in toronto doesnt kno this

Comment

Ever considered..

BC/Raptors got into trouble basing their decisions on Bosh; trying to support him.
                        Grunwald got the raps into trouble originally by doing this with Vince

Teams like Utah, etc.. who are consistently good build around the system - not a player.

Any well functioning company knows that though you may have star performers, if they don't fit with the system (due to ego, etc..) they eventually cause more problems than they are worth while setting a bad example for junior employees.

By the way, the same way that the raps got caught...is the same way other teams get caught, in just about every sport. (IE Hockey - Red Wings)

Maybe this, in itself, is the solution. GMs to realize that everyone is replaceable and build around the system...which will lead to continued success If this is the case....then it doesn't seem to be Colangelo's style (though it doesn't seem to be the style of many others).

Comment

have u actually watched hibbert play? he dont show much passion most nights & hes about as slow as JO at this stage & hibbert isnt to old either.
                          Yes. I have watched him play. As I said, at this point in the game Roy is better than Jermaine... Is your counter going to involve asking me if I've ever seen a basketball?

colangelo never failed to retain CB4 he simply didnt want to have him back!
                          And you know this how? All reports support my statement.

Comment

Roy's Mobility As Viewed By Others

Very good mobility for a man his size – can move his feet laterally and can get up and down the floor fairly good for a big guy.
                            Source: CollegeHoopsNet.com
                            Tremendous size with increasing mobility as his game continues to mature.
                            Source: Raptors.com

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              And you know this how? All reports support my statement.
                              Actually, don't reports by Chris himself indicate that the Unholy Trinity wanted to play together. Therefore, Bosh was never really available for Colangelo to lose...right?

Comment

I believe if Toronto had produced a winning environment he would have wanted to stay. He's always maintained that.

Comment

Working...
                                X