• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CP3 - Entirely Possible

Okafor/CP3

for

Calderon/Bargnani

Hear me out.

They would use the TPE to make up differences in salary.

NO gets a solid starter/backup PG to combine with Collison, and a legitimate young emerging talent at a good price in Bargs. They get to ship out a bad contract and move Paul for arguably one of the better deals I've seen thus far, while saving money and clearing some room for Collison when Calderon expires.

Toronto takes a risk on Paul for 2 years - with an emerging Weems and DeRozan running the floor and with Paul facilitating, they can be a true Phoenix East, and moving Bargs opens up PT for Johnson and Davis. You hope Okafor can defend and pop in the easy buckets while eating up a lot of contract space.

Does Paul leave at the end of the contract? Possibly. If after this year he doesn't re-sign despite being on a young running and offensively oriented team, you move him in the offseason, with him having helped grow the young core, and while he will still be a very valuable asset as both an expiring contract and a hell of a player.

I don't know if you can use the TPE to even out salaries.

Comment

I don't think NOH would want Calderon and his overpriced, long-term contract. I think they'd prefer Banks and DD (or and the very least Weems).

Regardless, I don't expect CP3 will be traded; I think the new owners would rather let Peja's expiring contract expire and sign an all-star wing next summer.
      RR OG

Comment

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
        I don't think NOH would want Calderon and his overpriced, long-term contract. I think they'd prefer Banks and DD (or and the very least Weems).

Regardless, I don't expect CP3 will be traded; I think the new owners would rather let Peja's expiring contract expire and sign an all-star wing next summer.
        I don't think that would work because, even with Sognalia and Peja's contract expiring, they won't have enough room to sign an all-star next summer. In fact, after Thornton is resigned, cap holds, and Collison's team option, I think they'll only have about $4M in cap space in the current CBA. The CBA is changing to likely be more strict, so it's even more likely that New Orleans won't be able to add anything in the summer through Free Agency.

Comment

Calderon expires in 2012/2013. They'd get 2 seasons out of him as a starter/backup PG, along with Collison, and would have a nice trade chip in his final year. Bargnani is good value at his current contract and skill set.

To me, the only untouchables on this team are DeRozan and Weems, who seem to genuinely like playing with each other and can usher in a new future for this team. If he can do it, I think BC needs to look at taking this risk with CP.

Comment

A trade that moves Bargs for CP3? Absolutely. Will a variation of it ever happen? Dubious.
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Yeah for the trade to work it would have to be banks, demar, weems, bargnani for cp3 and okafor

it would never happen, we would get too much while they would get players that have potential, but haven proven anything

if it was this easy it would have happened...

Comment

Working...
              X