No announcement yet.

Is Jose Calderon On The Pacers' Radar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Jose Calderon On The Pacers' Radar?

Looking through the remainder of options that might be available via trade (without even beginning to dream about Chris Paul), here are Indiana’s best opportunities ranked in order of plausibility:
    #3.
    Jose Calderon, Raptors

Changes have come with the Raptors and Jarrett Jack has become the de facto leader in the locker room. It remains to be seen if Bryan Colangelo and Jay Triano are comfortable handing over the starting job to Jack full-time, but it’s believed that Calderon could be had for the right price.

Calderon isn’t an elite scorer, but Indiana has plenty of offensive weapons when healthy. He’d be a much-needed steadying influence on the court, but he may come too expensive for Indiana’s liking. He has roughly $30 million left over three years on his contract and the Pacers don’t have the long-term contracts to match up with that. However, if the Raptors are interested in Troy Murphy or Mike Dunleavy (I doubt they want Ford back) they can make a move and clear an additional $10 million or so in cap space for next summer.
    Source: RealGM.com
    Yes
    36.00%
    No
    64.00%

The poll is expired.

If I was offered Jose for Mike Dunleavy, I wouldn't hesitate. A good character guy with good game when healthy looking for one more NBA contract (he is 29) and an expiring $10.5M contract - done and done.

I would watch for IND to deal Granger to NO though for DC and other pieces. I think if Granger is traded, that is where he goes. The guy has injury issues but he is a bona-fide 22PPG scorer who can shoot the 3 and score in almost anyway when healthy. Plus his contract is 'only' $11M - not bad by NBA standards when the guy is in the prime of his career.

Comment

I think the Pacers would look to pair Collison with Granger. Not sure it makes sense for them to just swap. They're no better off overall.

Troy Murphy would be a nice fit in Toronto. He only has one year left on contract.

Comment

I personally don't like the idea of Murphy in Toronto simply for redundancy's sake. I understand he's a better rebounder than Bargs but he is an outside oriented offensive player and we just traded for another one of those.

Comment

even though i dont know why indiana would pull a dunleavy for blow-se deal, ita win-win-win for us.
          1)we get rid of the "clap" defence
          2) we get a very serviceable SF who can fill the role and shoot the 3
          3) a very hefty expiring contract as well

just makes me wonder if indiana would be crazy enough to trade both of them straight up, maybe throw-in a future 2nd rounder or something (which is why BC giving a 2nd rounder for andersen so damn confusing) but if it gets jose off the books, do it

Comment

Indiana wouldn't want to do anything with Jose's contract, they are trying to cut costs not add salary, and given that they choose not to match the offer for Jarret Jack last summer, it won't make sense for them to go after Calderon.

Comment

dunleavy for calderon sure why not. not sure about murphy.

i think jose is most likely to be traded to a non-contender team like indiana,g-state, i tthink are best opportunities for both sides.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

The only player I want from the Pacers is Paul George, and that isn't going to happen. Unless we're looking to salary dump, there's no reason to trade with Indiana.

Comment

blaze89 wrote: View Post
                  ...... (which is why BC giving a 2nd rounder for andersen so damn confusing)......
                  You may not have heard...the 2nd rd pick to Houston is possibly something that will never come to be exercised by Houston. The pick was given us in the Hassan Adams trade and was 30-50 protected for SA (I believe) and then 51-55 protected for the Raps. This is for the year 2015 and goes to Houston only if beyond the 55th pick. So why the convolution? Because there had to be something going back to Houston as per the rules. We also used the TPE given in ther Hedo trade. I think I have it all but apologise if I have erred in some detail.

Comment

mike dunleavy would be a good player for T.O he has a solid game and a ig expiring contract if we can get the pacers to include price then thats even better
                    ya dun noe

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      I think the Pacers would look to pair Collison with Granger. Not sure it makes sense for them to just swap. They're no better off overall.

Troy Murphy would be a nice fit in Toronto. He only has one year left on contract.
                      I would have to disagree. For all the talk of the Raptors blowing the team up and rebuilding, Indiana only has $18M in guaranteed contracts for next year - $12M of which is for Granger.

A young promising PG with their other young pieces is a good start plus a load of expiring contracts.

Comment

I would take Murphy with two broken legs before I'd take Dunleavy. He's really just a poor man's Hedo...

I know we have tons of frontcourt depth already, but we could get some good value for Murphy as a skilled, veteran big with an expiring contract. New York, Detroit, Denver, Atlanta are all looking for bigs and have some pieces to spare on the wing...

The point is, Murphy has WAY more value than Dunleavy and it would be an easy decision if given the choice.

Comment

The other question of course would be if Indiana is interested in taking Jarrett Jack back, who they may already know and like.

Would we trade JJ away?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I would have to disagree. For all the talk of the Raptors blowing the team up and rebuilding, Indiana only has $18M in guaranteed contracts for next year - $12M of which is for Granger.

A young promising PG with their other young pieces is a good start plus a load of expiring contracts.
                            Who are they going to be able to sign that's as good as Granger? Why not keep him and sign that guy because as you mentioned they have lots of cap anyway.

Comment

Seems the new GM tagline for this offseason is "we're not going to take back any bad contracts".

Jose is one of those contracts, I'm afraid.
                              "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
                              ~Rorschach

Comment

Working...
                              X