No announcement yet.

Bryan Colangelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know what I like about being a Raptor fan? That mediocrity is what we are praying for....

Comment

The truth lies somewhere between the group of fans that are unmercifully tossing Colangelo beneath the bus and the group of supporters who refuse to admit that BC has had a MAJOR hand in the crappy position that the Raps now find themselves in.

However, claiming that a lack of suitable replacements is the reason that we should continue to ride out Colangelo's tenure is flawed thinking. There are literally dozens of young, knowledgeable basketball minds that are working on staffs around the NBA that could run an NBA franchise at a high level. Some of you are overvaluing what a charismatic personality and a perfect smile mean in the realm of being a successful executive in this league. It's about understanding the cap, utilizing the draft, compiling assets and having the foresight to know what moves to make and what times to make them... not being able to pick up the phone and shoot the shit effectively with other people around the league.

Comment

I hope to god that most Raps fans are not like vinnie_paz. That guy is the black hole of pessimism that I'm sure is not reflective of most fans. Forums like RR allows fans to discuss things loosely. We all hope for the best but our thoughts are just that, thoughts. Sports is an inexact science - so too will our responses that revolve around any particular team. There's been some really good suggestions and bad ones in this forum - all of which I take with a grain of salt (my comments included). Vinnie_paz, take a pill, be a real fan and more importantly, tolerate (like most fans do).
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
          The truth lies somewhere between the group of fans that are unmercifully tossing Colangelo beneath the bus and the group of supporters who refuse to admit that BC has had a MAJOR hand in the crappy position that the Raps now find themselves in.

However, claiming that a lack of suitable replacements is the reason that we should continue to ride out Colangelo's tenure is flawed thinking. There are literally dozens of young, knowledgeable basketball minds that are working on staffs around the NBA that could run an NBA franchise at a high level. Some of you are overvaluing what a charismatic personality and a perfect smile mean in the realm of being a successful executive in this league. It's about understanding the cap, utilizing the draft, compiling assets and having the foresight to know what moves to make and what times to make them... not being able to pick up the phone and shoot the shit effectively with other people around the league.
          think of a used car salesman with no carisma, they're not sellin many.
          GM is sort of the same, everyone is trying to sell something.

now if your product isnt as good as the rest u need someone who will make people think it is LOL

on a serious note though BC has never been on pedistal in my house but to say hes not a good GM is rediculous. every team & GM has success & failures, the good teams live through them & keep faith in there Team & GM, the bad teams & fanbases usually try railroad everyone out of town after a loss or lossing season.

the attitude of some fans in toronto is part of the reason some players dont want to play here,

this city is sooo hungry for a championship that every year when we dont get there everybody wants to explode the team & fire the GM, Raps, Leafs, Jays its the same thing every year. no team wins every year & no team is immune to lossing seasons.

Did anyone in L.A get fired after they traded shaq? they had a bunch of loosing sesons too before gasol landed there.

pat riley didnt get fired after miami's horrible season which they ended up in the lottery & drafted beasley.

people need to relax
          Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Mon Aug 2, 2010, 01:03 PM.

Comment

One, The team has to show as being promising towards the future and
            Two, MLSE has to be making some money; If those two conditions are true, BC is likely to receive some kind of extension, maybe a 2 or 3 year extension.

BC has made some moves that obviously did not work out but the team right now has some promising young players to work with and the payroll is under control;
            If Calderon is traded, the only bad contract they have now, then it's almost guaranteed BC will be offered an extension.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
              I hope to god that most Raps fans are not like vinnie_paz. That guy is the black hole of pessimism that I'm sure is not reflective of most fans. Forums like RR allows fans to discuss things loosely. We all hope for the best but our thoughts are just that, thoughts. Sports is an inexact science - so too will our responses that revolve around any particular team. There's been some really good suggestions and bad ones in this forum - all of which I take with a grain of salt (my comments included). Vinnie_paz, take a pill, be a real fan and more importantly, tolerate (like most fans do).
              i dont think you know how to read... name a place where i said we should fire bc... all i said was that the argument that there are no suitable replacements is flawed and used examples.... how is that a black hole of pessimism ?

in fact post #14 on page 1 of this thread i wrote "i dont think we need to fire BC" in the first line of my post ...

explain how that makes someone a pessimist ?
              Last edited by vinnie_paz; Mon Aug 2, 2010, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                very well said

Comment

V_P we'll agree to disagree on this one. Sorry bout the anger comment. The reason the Raptors are even here is that there are fans like us who will stick by the team regardless of the outcome. Have a good one bro.

Comment

Colangelo made a fool of himself and the entire organization with his comments about Bosh and that should cost him his job. The team should be actively searching for a new gm in the next 12 months. I would leave Triano as coach for the year, similar to Gaston's role with the Jays this season. Even if the Raps lose 65 games, at least we will hopefully be rewarded with a high pick.

Comment

Wayne Embry could be one of those alternatives. I do agree, though, even if BC were to be fired, I have little faith in Peddie and Co. to hire a proper GM.....Is Jerry West available?

Comment

colangelo had stellar years in phoenix. but would anyone seriously dare to compare that with what he's done in toronto?

Comment

vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
                          ok number one MLSE makes a ton of money from the raptors in toronto... even when the team is horrible the acc is usually sold out... why would MLSE move the raps to vegas ??

number two... there are a ton of assistant gm's, former gm's, former players, and even broadcasters who would kill to take over a team and show how smart they are

number three... why would any gm take any job knowing that he is gona have to clean up a mess... anytime a gm is replaced it's b/c the team is a mess...(exception k pritchard) no team says hey so we have a franchise player, some good secondaary pieces, young talent, and all of our draft picks... hmm i have an idea... lets fire the gm !! (exception k pritchard)
                          Hey VP, it turns out I can read. Post #13 not only endorses the firing of BC, but your suggestion is also all about the licking of Kevin Pritchard's balls. I'm not going to deny your entry in post #14. However, I do think you don't know what you're talking about either. Hey, I got a suggestion, you need a few cold ones to clear your mind bro.

PS> Just a news flash for you, new GMs are hired exactly for the cleanup and a better direction than the previous administration.
                          Last edited by Balls of Steel; Mon Aug 2, 2010, 07:11 PM.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

your mom wrote: View Post
                            V_P we'll agree to disagree on this one. Sorry bout the anger comment. The reason the Raptors are even here is that there are fans like us who will stick by the team regardless of the outcome. Have a good one bro.
                            haha you too !!

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                              some of the same players that were bosh's supporting cast here in T.O have had playoff success for other teams since as role players.

when your franchise guy isnt a franchise guy theres not enough role players out there to make up for that.

our problem has not been the supporting cast its been our franchise guy all along & how peeps cant see that is beyond me. if bosh was as good as wade, LBJ, kobe, duncan, shaq we would have seen a hell of alot more playoff games in T.O

Bosh,Vc,Tmac & all the rest of our franchise guys were over hyped due to the fact they had pretty much a whole country stroking there ego's. they became bigger then the game,then they flew south seeking even more ego stroking.

also pat riley has had success yes but hes had his share of loosing season just like the rest. if bosh was as serious as colangelo is about building a winner in T.O then he could have tryed to recriut someone to T.O this year instead of bolting. we might not have had as much cap space as miami but we had something of more value seeing how the FA frenzy played out & that was sign & trade assets(alot more then miami had to offer). we could have pretty much traded anyone for the likes of LBJ & Wade.
                              Exactly Bosh needed another upper echelon player(BC thought that it would be Bargnani) to play with even Malone had Stockton but BC never delivered that player. None of the above players you listed in comparison to Bosh that have won 'ships didn't win without at least another star player on their roster ie Kobe/Shaq, Kobe/Gasol, Wade/Shaq, Duncan/Robinson, Duncan/Parker- recognize game.

Yeah BC really put together a Raptor roster that would be attractive to 2010 f/a's- not.lol TO didn't have had cap space not to mention an experienced respected coach in place-Jay "no accountability" Triano, that players would want to play for. Bring in a GM like Julius Erving aka Dr J (previous Raptor GM candidate) and a coach like Mo Cheeks- that would all change dramatically in my mind.

Toronto or Miami- if you had a choice, all things being the same, to work in either or where would you choose to work and/or live?lol

Comment

Ya lets fire him and replace him with who? Another Babcock? No thanks. keep him on to build post Bosh era and see what goes down. Maybe he can actually get an actual No.1 guy and not one by default.

Comment

Working...
                                X