Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Armstrong On The FAN 590

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...02_112251_7716

"The Raptors television colour commentator joins the FAN 590 Morning Show to discuss Hedo Turkoglu's negative comments regarding his former team, his thoughts on the public "war of words" between Bryan Colangelo and Chris Bosh and how being the only basketball team in Canada is hurting the Raptors."
    "Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you. That's true about the game, and in some ways about life too." ~ Michael Jordan
    ------------------------------------------
    "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit at home and think about it. Go out and get busy." ~ Dale Carnegie

bring back the grizzlies!!

what i want so bad is for this team to be good no more 1 all-star and surround him with pieces and chips have an evened out playing field and don't accomodate anyone.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Wow! In that article Jack sounds, old, tired and defeated. With that interview I'm convinced that Jack is no longer the right choice for commentor for the Raptors. The Raptors problem isn't their lack of exposure in Canada, its their lack of exposure in the U.S. You can't compare Toronto to U.S. college, because its U.S. college not CIS.

If toronto has problems attracting and retaining American players, why should the NBA go back to Vancouver (which I am 100% in support of) a much, much less American city.

Face it, the only reason the NBA is in Toronto is because it makes a boat load of cash. Why did the Toronto Blue Jays win back to back world series? (because they had the highest payroll in the league). Toronto is not and will not be a top destination for top American talent, because it isn't American.

If you want to compete with the U.S. cities you need to outspend them or win without American stars. As well, I am confident the NBA will do everything in their power to prevent Toronto from going far in the playoffs, because it would be a ratings disaster for American television.

This is the reality and people like Jack Armstrong aren't willing to face up to it.
      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

I don't get why BC was brought in to win a championship. He didnt win a championship in phoenix
        ya dun noe

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
          I don't get why BC was brought in to win a championship. He didnt win a championship in phoenix
          He won two executive of the year awards. Phoenix has been consistently good and he's learned a lot from one of the best, his dad.

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
            Face it, the only reason the NBA is in Toronto is because it makes a boat load of cash. Why did the Toronto Blue Jays win back to back world series? (because they had the highest payroll in the league). Toronto is not and will not be a top destination for top American talent, because it isn't American.
            Name me an NBA champion in the last decade who didn't have one of the highest, if not the highest payroll in the league?

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
              He won two executive of the year awards. Phoenix has been consistently good and he's learned a lot from one of the best, his dad.
              Joe Dumars won EOY too, would you have him as the Raptors GM? Note that he's also won titles as a player and GM, unlike Colangelo.

Comment

Jack did sound weary, but who can blame him. I agree with every last syllable of what he said. Every last syllable.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Name me an NBA champion in the last decade who didn't have one of the highest, if not the highest payroll in the league?
                  Your absolutely right, but this is not the MLB you can't win by having the highest payroll. You need to attract players by other means.
                  Last edited by Raptorsss; Mon Aug 2, 2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                    Joe Dumars won EOY too, would you have him as the Raptors GM? Note that he's also won titles as a player and GM, unlike Colangelo.
                    All I said was, that was the reason he was hired. You can argue the merits of that decision, but it doesn't change my position. I strongly believe he has been the Raptors second best GM behind Grunwald. The man cares about winning, he is a fan above being a manager and that should be something fans should be happy about.

If I were in his position I would try to swing for the fences every summer, trying to manufacture a contender. He traded for has been All-stars, but I don't discredit him for trying to make this team work. The critics of Colangelo should be happy that it has been a fairly boring summer, since that is unusual for him.

Comment

If I were Jack, I'd be tired of all the hype machine surrounding Bosh to the Heat. There has been so much irresponsible journalism it's not even funny.

Even Bosh's quotes on playing in Toronto were taken completely out of context.

"I didn't want to go there," Bosh said. "It was different. All I knew was Vince Carter was there and I never saw him play on TV. It was a whole different country, and it was just different. I'm 19 years old, I didn't know anything about culture and being away from home. All I know is the States.

"Toronto's a great place, a fantastic city. It's a metropolitan area, but you could tell you're somewhere different. You could feel it, you could look at it, you can smell it. Everything. All your senses tell you you're somewhere different."

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/2...#ixzz0vUGDbzki

That was Bosh's impression WHEN HE WAS DRAFTED. He's using past, conditional tenses, and he even refers to himself as being 19 years old. And we know from the article that he is capable of speaking proper English. But anything that can be taken as slagging Toronto is run with. Why? The Americans don't want a repeat of the Jays dynasty, which was a nightmare for the Yankees and Red Sox. A Raptors dynasty (as odd as that statement sounds) would take aim first at division rivals, including the NBAs prized and coddled children, the Knicks, the Celtics and the Nets. In truth, most American cities (except for New York, Boston, LA and perhaps Chicago) wishes they could be Toronto.

Also, the Raptors have never had a player like DeMar DeRozan (except for maybe Damon Stoudamire). Carter, T-Mac and Bosh had people questioning their winning attitude right out of college and high school. Bargnani can be put in that boat as well. As a result, the team has carried that image and baggage every time Toronto comes up a bit short.

DeRozan might be a kid, but he has Kobe and KD returning his calls. Kobe has given him his stamp of approval. That's a huge sign in the league. He's respected in the league like I don't believe Carter, T-Mac or Bosh ever were (at least after 2001 in VC's case). He's in the real in-crowd, and if he reaches his potential, will attract a lot of FAs to Toronto. If he starts averaging about 19, 6 and 4 (and I don't think that's a stretch by year three with continued development), watch people start lining up to play with him. He'll be bigger than VC ever was because of his cred and attitude. Book it.

Comment

Bring back the salami & cheese!

Comment

you know i think enough blame has gone to colangelo but as far as the draft goes hes not the only one in the war room and itès the scouts job to report to him.

maybe the scouting staff needs to be fired i mean when is the last time thats changed
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I would love to have Dumars as our GM. His team went to the Eastern Conference Finals for 6 years in a row. He's had a couple of bad years and he drafted Darko Milicic, which in hindsight is a nightmare but it's pretty easy to judge from my couch 7 years after the fact. He's a gentleman and a sportsman and we'd be goddamn lucky to have him. He was one of my favourite players growing up, and a fine executive. I wish we even had a chance of landing him.

Comment

wait are you saying dumars is a good gm or not a good gm ?

Comment

Working...
                              X