Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceez wrote: View Post
    I dont think the knicks have any picks for the next decade
    They have 1st round picks in 2011, 2013, and 2015.

They lucked out as Houston is lower - HOU had the option of switching with them this season from T-Mac trade but obviously will not now.

2012 is top 5 protected to HOU.
    2014 to DEN.

Comment

• Specific people on this site believe Andrea Bargnani is an ineffective and liable defender. Why do they believe this? It is assumed that a tall player must be a productive defender to be useful to their team. Andrea may be just developing his rebounding efficiency at a slower pace than other tall players. Andrea has immense pressure to score every night which may or may not be a direct result of his defensive deficiency. What is clear is that after Bosh left Andrea knew he would become the primary scorer. So he dedicated his summer improving his offensive effectiveness. As a result we can all agree the offensive production has been extraordinary. A full summer spent working on his offense unfortunately came at the expense of his defence. Fortunately, Andrea will rededicate himself to becoming a more productive defensive player and spend all summer working on that aspect of his game. And if his offensive improvements from the previous year are any indications I have very high hopes his defence can improve as well.
      Last edited by DunkinDerozan; Thu Apr 14, 2011, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• rebounding is 90 % effort sir !

Comment

• DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post
          Specific people on this site believe Andrea Bargnani is an ineffective and liable defender. Why do they believe this? It is assumed that a tall player must be a productive defender to be useful to their team. Andrea may be just developing his rebounding efficiency at a slower pace than other tall players. Andrea has immense pressure to score every night which may or may not be a direct result of his defensive deficiency. What is clear is that after Bosh left Andrea knew he would become the primary scorer. So he dedicated his summer improving his offensive effectiveness. As a result we can all agree the offensive production has been extraordinary. A full summer spent working on his offense unfortunately came at the expense of his defence. Fortunately, Andrea will rededicate himself to becoming a more productive defensive player and spend all summer working on that aspect of his game. And if his offensive improvements from the previous year are any indications I have very high hopes his defence can improve as well.
          Actually, nearly everyone on this site, as well as the entire NBA, believe that Bargnani is an ineffective and liable defender. And there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that his defense will improve. It hasn't in 5 years in the NBA.

And Bargnani is an extraordinary scorer. He averages 21.4 ppg on 17.8 shots per game. That's very good, but not great, by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, why are you speaking for Bargnani? You're not Charlz' ex-girlfriend, are you?
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Bargnani says his position is power forward; still doesn't get defense

Good and bad of season:

The worst part was that we lost too many games. We were not close to making the playoffs so that's pretty disappointing, that's not what we had in mind. The good thing is that we had a lot of young guys, and had the possibility to develop these young gus. Everybody got better individually, as players, but we didn't get much better as a team as a group on the court, that's the next step.
            Have you lead the team now that Chris Bosh is gone?

This year I was the focal point of the team, I think I got much better offensively. Everybody could see that, I learned all the stuff. Without Chris, it was even more difficult to score the ball, last year the opposite team was more focused on playing defense on Chris so for me it was much easier. . This year it was more complicated, I got much better offensively. I still got to get better, especially on the boards. Definitely need to do a better job of being more focused, it definitely has to be a focal part of me.
            Is it focus and intensity that you need to develop on the defensive end?

Defense is a whole different thing. I was talking about rebounding, defense too. Everybody has to get better. They have to get better as a team, defense is teamwork. We all got to get better on the defensive end, it's not just on individual effort. A lot of times you get players you can't guard one-on-one, nobody can guard one-on-one, so the best defensive teams do teamwork. Like Boston, these kind of teams.
            What did Colangelo and Triano say? Did they say assure you that you're part of the team going forward?

Well, nobody knows what's going to happen going forward. You can't really say, nobody can assure you what it's going to be next year. Nobody knows what's going to happen, we talked about more what happened this year.
            Plans for summer.

National team, I got European Championship that will count for the Olympic qualifications. I'll definitely play there. Other than that, I don't know.
            How are you preparing for the lockout?

I will have to organize myself to workout in Rome, Italy. I cannot come back here and use the Raptors faciliites, I will have to find out what the best solution. Probably be in Rome, hire a coach or something, I'll have to organize myself.
            Reggie asked the young guys to save money for the lockout, what do you think?

You have to ask each player, I saved mine, I'll be okay for the lockout.
            Who's fault is the poor defense?

It's on both sides, I think it's 50-50. It's on the coach and it's on the players too, when you have a lot of young guys without experience, it's tough, it's tough to learn how to play defense, even tougher how to play team-defense. I think it's going to come with experience.
            Do you want a guy that does the dirty work down low so you can still have your game, be a three-point shooter.

My natural position is a power forward. Other than that, I don't know how they want to build the team next year. Of course, my position is power forward, always been.
            Interview video:

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/201...RGNANI-1648499

He thinks the team needs to get more people who can play help defense because it's tough to guard one-on-one. The irony is too great.

Update, he also said:

I do things that are more complicated than rebounds and defence
            Which they edited out of the official videos.

Comment

• Nice find.

I think you can tell that he is being very sincere and honest about his assessment. Which as a fan, I appreciate.
              He's heard all the criticisms, and realizes that it is on him to make it better, for himself.

I do agree with him that it is not JUST the individuals who need to learn how to play defense; they NEED to learn how to play Defense as a team. And that is solely on the coaches in my opinion.

However, all that being said, he needs to acknowledge the fact that as a Senior Leader on this team, he needs to lead by example.
              All of the most Vocal leaders in the league, Lead with their Voice as well as their actions. If Andrea wants to be a Leader he not only needs to say the right things, as he has done, but he needs to impliment them and show that he himself, has taken the necessary steps to improve himself.

Only then will he be respected for his game. Right now, he's respected for his ability to be so Tall and Still shoot half-effectively.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                Actually, nearly everyone on this site, as well as the entire NBA, believe that Bargnani is an ineffective and liable defender. And there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that his defense will improve. It hasn't in 5 years in the NBA.

And Bargnani is an extraordinary scorer. He averages 21.4 ppg on 17.8 shots per game. That's very good, but not great, by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, why are you speaking for Bargnani? You're not Charlz' ex-girlfriend, are you?

A strong voice goes a long way. You are correct popular opinion seems to spreads really fast on this site and in the media as well.

Before this year was there any evidence to suggest Amir would be able to knock down an open jumper? Or Demar evolving so fast in only his second year? So believe it or not stranger things have happened. Have you ever though about how much a fool you would look like if bargnani doubled his defensive production. What if Bargnani averages 25 and 10 next year? Would that even be productive enough for you if the raptors are loosing? Or would you ramble on about how his help defense is horrible.

The same reason you’re speaking against bargnani.... hope it had nothing to do with your wife though because that would discredit all your bargnani post.

Comment

• His rebounding numbers for a power forward would still rank as one of the league's worst. Making more of an effort on the defensive end would make a lot of people happy. Then again, trading him in the off-season would make a lot of people happy. One thing you gotta admire about the kid is that he's got thick skin - he aborbs all the criticism.

Comment

• i don't even care about numbers if he showed an ounce of heart and hustle I'd like him.

Comment

• We have never really given Andrea the chance to play power forward beside a legit center, it would be interesting to see him play beside a vet center to see how things would change. If he stays with Toronto I am fine with it and hope he comes back strong, his contract it not that bad and he is a proven scorer....yes he needs more effort on the glass and on defense, but I like th guy. If we move him I am fine with that as well, we just need to get a real player in return.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• raptorsking wrote: View Post
                        i don't even care about numbers if he showed an ounce of heart and hustle I'd like him.
                        last time i checked there are millions of players trying to make it to the nba. You don't stick around and lead your team in scoring and average top 15 in the league with no heart and hustle. If he could have mustered an extraordianry amount of heart and hustle then his rebounding would have been up as well.

Comment

• KING BARGS tells it like it is no sugarcoating around answers. From what I see he treats everyone with respect. And fans should respect him the same way.

Comment

• I don't know if his rebounding would improve anymore if he were at the "4." The combo of him and Reggie Evans showed promise but at the end of the day, he has to do his bit on defense and the glass.

Comment

• I also appreciate his honest and frank assessment of both himself and the coaching staff. He seems to understand that whether he's a C or PF, he needs to rebound more and make a consistent better effort on defense.

It's interesting the way he pointed out that this year he was expected to shoulder the offensive burden in Bosh's absence, so he worked on getting better offensively in the offseason and he was definitely much better and more consistent on the offensive end. Ideally, I'd like to think that the coaching staff gave him a priority to work on and he has the ability to improve. If last year's priority was offensive, you make this year's priority rebounding and defense and see how much improvement he can show next season. I think even moreso than before that the Raps should keep Bargnani at least one more season - next season will be critical to see growth in his rebounding and defense, then the decision to keep or cut ties with him should be made.

Another interesting point is about the team defense. I absolutely agree that any team needs time to gel into a cohesive defensive unit. Young players need even more time, since they tend to focus on improving individually before they even start thinking about improving the team defense. When you consider the revolving-door starting lineup the Raps had all season, given injuries, it's no wonder they are behind schedule on building lineup chemistry and therefore team defense. I believe they Raps need to commit to a young starting lineup next training camp and stick with them as a unit, regardless of record, to help your future core develop that chemistry as a unit. ie: if they luck out and draft Irving, you start a lineup with Irving, DeRozan, James Johnson (or another young SF that they get via draft/free agency/trade), Davis and Bargnani... let that core 5 grow together while on the floor together, then you are truly rebuilding.

Comment

• What exactly does he think will be different if he officially moved to PF? For the majority of the season, he defended and was defended by the opposing team's PF. In many ways, he DID play PF this season, it's just he didn't play it beside a legit center. Does he think a legit center is going to help him rebound or play better defense? Both Amir and Davis are above average defenders, especially on help defense, so it's not as if a good defensive center is really going to make that much difference unless his name is Dwight Howard.

It's great that he's got a thick skin, but sometimes I wish he'd take the criticism he receives a little more personally. It might do him some good.

This whole Bargnani is a PF argument is a little ridiculous and seems to me to be yet another in long, long line of excuses.
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X