Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Well depends what expectations this video will bring about...

I can't imagine a Pump fake/drive to the basket, will get any reasonable fan thinking his defense and rebouding have improved.
    Which is where MOST are looking for him to 'put it together'.

For me, it just shows that he is in FAR better shape than he was at this time last year.
    Which is certainly something positive.
    If he shows up at Training Camp and is once again 10-15lbs overweight, then perhaps we can be concerned.

This is just nice to see one of our guys making a nice move.
    No different than watching Demar jam on guys at Drew League in my opinion.
    I agree. Its a nice move, take it as it is.

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
      and you say youre not a hater...hahaha

I really dont think Bargnani can do anything that will get Raptors fans on his side. He can block 50 shots and people will say, Oh, those players he blocked were weaker offensively, or he can score 200 pts and people will say, Oh, every player on the opposing team was sick with the flu. Everything he does will be tagged with a negative twist. Its called the Tim W. Mentality. hahaha.
      I know you are playing around a bit... but at the same time I think there is belief that there is some truth behind this (from the fan boys that is). Its why people who dislike his game are called haters, and bias, and whatever other names one wants to use.

I'd be willing to bet fans could be all about him again (and I think the majority were early in his career and gave him the benifit of the doubt even with a sub par rookie year and an abysmal 2nd year), IF he ever could put together consistency and effort. Even from what I've read about him in this Euroleague tournament he hasn't shown that effort or consistency... and when he was actually challenged he faltered.

I'd bet Tim (or almost any other 'hater' for that matter... not to single out Tim sorry) would compliment/talk about Bargnani's accolades if Bargs ever actually 'got it together'. But I also think the expectations that that will ever happen flew out the window this past season.

Comment

• GarbageTime wrote: View Post
        I'd bet Tim (or almost any other 'hater' for that matter... not to single out Tim sorry) would compliment/talk about Bargnani's accolades if Bargs ever actually 'got it together'. But I also think the expectations that that will ever happen flew out the window this past season.
        I 100% agree with that. I personally do not need Bargnani to be an all-star, or even a starter. The only thing I'm looking from him is consistency. And he's faltered at that for 5 years now. The guy just some times doesn't look like he wants to be out there. He seems to mope around and seems uninterested. I understand a couple of games throughout the year, but this seems to be the case every other game. We have no idea which Bargnani will show up - and that is very irritating, especially since he makes so much money. Youtube clips always seem to show when he gives a damn, but its usually for just one play, and its usually on offense. If the guy had 20 rebounds in one game it would be outstanding and the achievement should be praised. But if he then averages 3-4 rebounds for the next 5 or 10 games, its pathetic - and that's what we've seen in the last 5 years.

By the way, when is this thread getting merged?

Comment

I know you are playing around a bit... but at the same time I think there is belief that there is some truth behind this (from the fan boys that is). Its why people who dislike his game are called haters, and bias, and whatever other names one wants to use.

I'd be willing to bet fans could be all about him again (and I think the majority were early in his career and gave him the benifit of the doubt even with a sub par rookie year and an abysmal 2nd year), IF he ever could put together consistency and effort. Even from what I've read about him in this Euroleague tournament he hasn't shown that effort or consistency... and when he was actually challenged he faltered.

I think everybody came to the conclusion long ago that Bargnani is a bad/ horrible defender and rebounder, i for one, still doesnt think so, below average, yes, but not horrible. Sometimes i think he plays decent D, sometimes he rebounds well. And sometimes not so much. For me, a hater, is somebody who constantly barrages the person with negativity, and has closed his/her mind on further improvement. Im not putting any poster on this category seriously, i just use it as a punchline.

I think the main difference with my belief on Bargnani with others posters, is that i dont think Bargnani is born defense or rebounding incapable. I think he just never received the proper training for a big man. Be it be his own accord or by the trainers, i dont think it was enough for him to get over to the next level. Do i blame him? a little bit, but i put this on management and staff. Sure its easy to say that if he really wanted to improve then he should have put in the work. That is true, but mind you, these guys are controlled by the coaching staff and trainers. Do you honestly think that these coaches and trainers push him enough everyday on defense and rebounding and he tell them he doesnt want to do it because he's lazy? i dont think so. I dont think he has that much cred as a Raptor. My feeling is, and again, this is pure assumption, is that they drafted him knowing he was a pure scorer with the thought of pairing him with a rebounder like Bosh and now theyre saying he's an enigma coz he doesnt know how or when to rebound and defend. Ive always thought that if the Raptors got a veteran big man to help Bargnani work on his game (like how Howard worked/works with Ewing) then he will definitely show some improvement on defense and rebounding.

He is partially to be blamed for his inadequacies, but not entirely.
          Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Tue Sep 6, 2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

He is partially to be blamed for his inadequacies, but not entirely.
            I'd change that around and say that he is mostly to be blamed for his inadequacies. Maybe not entirely but you do realize that Bargnani is a man, and not a child. If he had a deficiency and wanted to blame his upbringing, then shouldn't he go out and hire some coach or ask the Raptors to bring in someone to help him out? Lebron went to Hakeem this offseason. Why couldn't Bargnani go find someone himself in the offseason?

Why should the Raptors be spoon feeding him, when he can go out and do it himself? That's the problem I have with Bargnani. He doesn't seem to be a self-motivator. If I was struggling with a subject in school, instead of failing, I'd go find a tutor. I wouldn't have my parent or my teacher try and find one for me because it would be my responsibility to grow and become better.

The problem with Bargnani is that he's not motivated all the time, and I don't think you can teach motivation.

Comment

• From this point onward, I wouldn't mind seeing Bargnani + fillers get traded for a legit young PG + role players.

I promose this trade Andrea Bargnani + Jerryd Bayless + James Johnson to Pacers
              Pacers give us Roy Hibbert + George Hill + James Posey (waived) + 2012 1st round pick (top 15) where we can get another SF in Terrence Jones by drafting either H.Barnes or Q.Miller

Our Lineups will be
              Hill/Calderon/D-League PG
              DeRozan/Leandro Barbosa/S.Weems
              H.Barnes/L.Kleiza/T.Jones
              E.Davis/A.Johnson/J.Dorsey
              R.Hibbert/J.Valanciunas/S.Alabi

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                I'd change that around and say that he is mostly to be blamed for his inadequacies. Maybe not entirely but you do realize that Bargnani is a man, and not a child. If he had a deficiency and wanted to blame his upbringing, then shouldn't he go out and hire some coach or ask the Raptors to bring in someone to help him out? Lebron went to Hakeem this offseason. Why couldn't Bargnani go find someone himself in the offseason?

Why should the Raptors be spoon feeding him, when he can go out and do it himself? That's the problem I have with Bargnani. He doesn't seem to be a self-motivator. If I was struggling with a subject in school, instead of failing, I'd go find a tutor. I wouldn't have my parent or my teacher try and find one for me because it would be my responsibility to grow and become better.

The problem with Bargnani is that he's not motivated all the time, and I don't think you can teach motivation.
                I think that this is exactly it more than anything thing else. There is only so much a team/coach/organization can do to entice someone to try and improve. Eventually it comes down to the individual wanting to, and trying to.

Blaming the team is a cop out... especially when there are other players who have showed the willingness to put in 100% night in and night out, to try and improve their game, to do the things that others won't. If it was on the organization, then why does Derozan seem to be the polar opposite of Bargnani? Or Jose?

these guys are controlled by the coaching staff and trainers. Do you honestly think that these coaches and trainers push him enough everyday on defense and rebounding and he tell them he doesnt want to do it because he's lazy
                Smitch, Jay and PJ never hid their dislike for Bargnani's lack of D and rebounding and Bargnani himself has said he's 'lazy'. So yes I do believe it.

I dont think he has that much cred as a Raptor
                Maybe not with the organization as a while, but I think he had that much 'cred' with BC. Whether thats because BC saw/expected more out of him than he got, or because BC was to arrogant to accept his #1 pick has been in 'bust'-like territory I'm not sure. But Bargs had enough 'cred' to get a coach fired and have a yes man coach to replace him (that would give minutes without accountability), get a big pay day without earning it and getting franchise player-like treatment. Is it that hard to believe that his lack of effort has simply been accepted by BC and therefore entitled to him?

There is no reason why he couldn't or shouldn't try and improve even without the organizations help IF he actually wanted to improve in area's we all know he needs to. I can agree that this organization seems to have been much to easy on him for the last 3 years... but he still has the responsibility himself, and that responsibility to himself is much greater than the teams responsibility to him.

If your boss at work ever said 'you aren't working hard enough', what do you think he would say if you responded with 'well its not my fault you aren't motivating me well enough'? I'm sure he'd motivated you with a severence package 5 minutes later.

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                  From this point onward, I wouldn't mind seeing Bargnani + fillers get traded for a legit young PG + role players.

I promose this trade Andrea Bargnani + Jerryd Bayless + James Johnson to Pacers
                  Pacers give us Roy Hibbert + George Hill + James Posey (waived) + 2012 1st round pick (top 15) where we can get another SF in Terrence Jones by drafting either H.Barnes or Q.Miller

Our Lineups will be
                  Hill/Calderon/D-League PG
                  DeRozan/Leandro Barbosa/S.Weems
                  H.Barnes/L.Kleiza/T.Jones
                  E.Davis/A.Johnson/J.Dorsey
                  R.Hibbert/J.Valanciunas/S.Alabi
                  I don't hate the trade, but I think the last the the Raptors need is another young big man to add to the logjam. Having four good, young big men might seem like a good idea, but there simply aren't enough minutes to go around and it doesn't generally create a good atmosphere.

And while George Hill was good on the Spurs, he was in the perfect situation, there. He didn't need to pass the ball because of the system, as well as being on the court with Ginobili and Duncan, both of whom are great passers. Just look at Hill's Per 36 assist stats. He's never averaged even 4 apg. And the Raptors desperately need a PG who will make those around him better since, they don't have a great passer on the roster outside of Calderon.

And having two rookie SFs fighting for playing time is also not a good idea.

Other than that, I'm all for the trade!
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I think that this is exactly it more than anything thing else. There is only so much a team/coach/organization can do to entice someone to try and improve. Eventually it comes down to the individual wanting to, and trying to.

Blaming the team is a cop out... especially when there are other players who have showed the willingness to put in 100% night in and night out, to try and improve their game, to do the things that others won't. If it was on the organization, then why does Derozan seem to be the polar opposite of Bargnani? Or Jose?

Smitch, Jay and PJ never hid their dislike for Bargnani's lack of D and rebounding and Bargnani himself has said he's 'lazy'. So yes I do believe it.

Maybe not with the organization as a while, but I think he had that much 'cred' with BC. Whether thats because BC saw/expected more out of him than he got, or because BC was to arrogant to accept his #1 pick has been in 'bust'-like territory I'm not sure. But Bargs had enough 'cred' to get a coach fired and have a yes man coach to replace him (that would give minutes without accountability), get a big pay day without earning it and getting franchise player-like treatment. Is it that hard to believe that his lack of effort has simply been accepted by BC and therefore entitled to him?

There is no reason why he couldn't or shouldn't try and improve even without the organizations help IF he actually wanted to improve in area's we all know he needs to. I can agree that this organization seems to have been much to easy on him for the last 3 years... but he still has the responsibility himself, and that responsibility to himself is much greater than the teams responsibility to him.

If your boss at work ever said 'you aren't working hard enough', what do you think he would say if you responded with 'well its not my fault you aren't motivating me well enough'? I'm sure he'd motivated you with a severence package 5 minutes later.
                    Just to add one thing. WHile it may be true that Bargnani never had a coach that seemed to be able to motivate him, the question begs to be asked, why do you want a player who is so difficult to motivate? If the idea is to win, then the best course of action is to acquire as many self starters as possible. It's hard enough to become a true contender, why do you want to handcuff yourself by making a difficult to motivate player such a big part of the team?

On a side note, I hope you weren't lumping Calderon in with Bargnani. Calderon has his faults, but lack of effort has never been one of them. Even on defense, he does try. He's just not very good at it (although better than many Raptor fans seem to give him credit for).
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      I don't hate the trade, but I think the last the the Raptors need is another young big man to add to the logjam. Having four good, young big men might seem like a good idea, but there simply aren't enough minutes to go around and it doesn't generally create a good atmosphere.

And while George Hill was good on the Spurs, he was in the perfect situation, there. He didn't need to pass the ball because of the system, as well as being on the court with Ginobili and Duncan, both of whom are great passers. Just look at Hill's Per 36 assist stats. He's never averaged even 4 apg. And the Raptors desperately need a PG who will make those around him better since, they don't have a great passer on the roster outside of Calderon.

And having two rookie SFs fighting for playing time is also not a good idea.

Other than that, I'm all for the trade!

fighting for playing time can be a very good thing. It creates competition which CAN bring out the best in players and be the best thing for the team. This is especially true with young players who have to earn their future contracts. It can also help create depth which is a huge boon when the inenvitable injuries happen. However, some players don't deal well with not getting what they expect and might sour them. Although I'd say thats an excellent way to weed out those players anyways.

I like the trade in general but I don't think there is a chance Indiana would pull the trigger on this trade though

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        Just to add one thing. WHile it may be true that Bargnani never had a coach that seemed to be able to motivate him, the question begs to be asked, why do you want a player who is so difficult to motivate? If the idea is to win, then the best course of action is to acquire as many self starters as possible. It's hard enough to become a true contender, why do you want to handcuff yourself by making a difficult to motivate player such a big part of the team?

On a side note, I hope you weren't lumping Calderon in with Bargnani. Calderon has his faults, but lack of effort has never been one of them. Even on defense, he does try. He's just not very good at it (although better than many Raptor fans seem to give him credit for).
                        I was lumping Calderon in with Derozan (ie. opposite of Bargnani)

I don't think I need to say this but I very much agree.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                          LeBron would tell them he's been in the gym since the final game busting his ass to become even better. I don't know, maybe Bargnani is putting in that kind of work as well but if he is it's not getting reported on. Anyway, I'm with Tim on this one. I think LeBron would be bombarded with the haters, who are deserving many, driven more by the guy's off court antics than on court ability. The guy can do anything on the court, Bargnani can't say the same.
                          I agree lebron will get bombarded with questions of his finals performance
                          ya dun noe

Comment

fighting for playing time can be a very good thing. It creates competition which CAN bring out the best in players and be the best thing for the team. This is especially true with young players who have to earn their future contracts. It can also help create depth which is a huge boon when the inenvitable injuries happen. However, some players don't deal well with not getting what they expect and might sour them. Although I'd say thats an excellent way to weed out those players anyways.

I like the trade in general but I don't think there is a chance Indiana would pull the trigger on this trade though
                            I've rarely seen it end well when two young players of similar skill level and age fight for the same position. It doesn't usually end up with a positive atmosphere and can cause some bad chemistry. The Amir/Davis situation is very unique and not one I would try and replicate. It's also a way to lower the trade value of a player you'll eventually have to trade. If you draft both Barnes and Jones, then when it's obvious that one of the players have won out for the position, they other player becomes tainted.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I was lumping Calderon in with Derozan (ie. opposite of Bargnani)

I don't think I need to say this but I very much agree.
                              Gotcha. I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

and you say youre not a hater...hahaha

I really dont think Bargnani can do anything that will get Raptors fans on his side. He can block 50 shots and people will say, Oh, those players he blocked were weaker offensively, or he can score 200 pts and people will say, Oh, every player on the opposing team was sick with the flu. Everything he does will be tagged with a negative twist.
                                I would become a fan of Bargnani's if he did three things:
                                1. Pulled down 9+ rebounds per game.
                                2. Made over half his shots.
                                3. Played solid help defense (e.g., gave out 2 hard fouls each game on people penetrating to the basket - but 3+ blocks per game would also count).

There is no need to interpret or excuse. He does those things consistently (on average) I am a fan. If he doesn't, I'm not.

Take his 36 point performance against Latvia. That came on 11/25 shooting. He missed 14 shots! I am tired of Bargnani missing baskets and wasting offensive opportunities. And that's not even talking defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X