Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
    Although i loved Simmons book... multipaul isnt totally wrong about it either.... the celtics wankfest at the beginning was king of excruciating to get through at times... it went on and on, and the only conclusion i got from it was he wanted to dry hump bill russell

once you get past that though, really entertaining read..

and simmons loves riling up raps fans... we're a reactive bunch
    Maybe you should go back and reread the first couple of chapters. They were the best of the book. It wasn't a Celtic "wankfest". It was a manifesto on what it takes to win. I wish more basketball fans would read it, quite frankly.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
      Maybe you should go back and reread the first couple of chapters. They were the best of the book. It wasn't a Celtic "wankfest". It was a manifesto on what it takes to win. I wish more basketball fans would read it, quite frankly.
      the first couple chapters were simmons' childhood memories of the celtics and why bill russell was better than wilt.

CELTICS.

WANK.

FEST.

after that it got interesting for me.

Comment

• Multipaul wrote: View Post
        Thanks bro!
        Is that Ceelo Green's kid ...or younger brother?

Comment

the first couple chapters were simmons' childhood memories of the celtics and why bill russell was better than wilt.

CELTICS.

WANK.

FEST.

after that it got interesting for me.
          Actually the first two chapters talked about winning, and the difference between a player who wins and one who doesn't. He made A LOT of good points. To anyone who is interested in what it takes to win, those chapters should have been VERY interesting.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• 3 Point Italian

PS- Andrea should be in the 3 pt contest
            Actually, if the NBA wanted to juice up its' All Star show, it would offer something more unique than its' typical blasé fair. Say a 3 point shooting contest between Dirk & Andrea. Play up on all the unfortunate comparisons (for Bargs that is). Anything that offers the fans a few extra treats - and makes the game less humdrum - should be welcomed.

Andrea Bargnani: Averaging 21.7 points and 5.8 rebounds a game. Giving up 48.3 points and 20.7 rebounds on the other end. (All numbers approximate.)
            In this ongoing discussion of Bargnani, I started to believe that rebounding had become a weakness for the Raptors, as opposed to last year - when it was. Yet, as it is, Toronto is 7th in OReb (was also 7th in November), and suffers only a 1 rebound differential in Defensive rebounds (Raptor number vs Opponents). For Points in the Paint - a telling AB stat - Toronto started off in the plus, tailed with Reggie gone, then has rebounded to a positive factor.

Knowing all that, I find it hard to imagine that despite AB's rebounding woes, he is on the Court 3/4's of the time, during which these statistics would've generated such numbers.
            I checked the link for the Barney stats quoted, and there was no other stats. Just that comment. I realize he probably didn't pull these stats out of his ass, but unless there is some hidden meaning, these numbers are near impossible, and don't jive with the Raptor team, no matter how responsible Andrea is for some.

Comment

• RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
              In this ongoing discussion of Bargnani, I started to believe that rebounding had become a weakness for the Raptors, as opposed to last year - when it was. Yet, as it is, Toronto is 7th in OReb (was also 7th in November), and suffers only a 1 rebound differential in Defensive rebounds (Raptor number vs Opponents). For Points in the Paint - a telling AB stat - Toronto started off in the plus, tailed with Reggie gone, then has rebounded to a positive factor.

Knowing all that, I find it hard to imagine that despite AB's rebounding woes, he is on the Court 3/4's of the time, during which these statistics would've generated such numbers.
              I checked the link for the Barney stats quoted, and there was no other stats. Just that comment. I realize he probably didn't pull these stats out of his ass, but unless there is some hidden meaning, these numbers are near impossible, and don't jive with the Raptor team, no matter how responsible Andrea is for some.
              The Raptors are middle of the pack rebounders overall, but the problem is not necessarily with the overall numbers, but with particular situations. Amir, Davis and Dorsey are all above average rebounders and tend to outrebound their opponent when they are on the floor. At the end of games, though, it's usually Bargnani on the floor and too often the Raptors will give up key offensive rebounds, in large part, because Bargnani either fails to box out his man or fails to grab a rebound he should have. You can outrebound your opponent for 46 minutes, but if you let him do what he wants the last two minutes, you're not going to win many games.

And as for points in the paint, Amir, DeRozan, Davis and Dorsey score most of their points in the paint and that's quite a number of points. That would be great if the team also didn't allow more points in the paint than most teams. And again, it's about making key stops. The good teams know how to knuckle down and stop scoring in the paint at crucial moments. The Raptors don't. And that's in large part due to Bargnani being a poor defender. Bargnani is the only below average defending big man on the Raptors, and they are below average in stopping teams from scoring in the paint.

As for Simmons' quote, he was making a joke. I thought that was obvious. He exaggerated in order to make a point. Obviously Bargnani doesn't give up 48.3 points himself. That's ridiculous. He said it because it's funny BECAUSE it has some basis in the truth.
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• wow -- I expected an anti Bargs thread and an anti Simmons thread broke out...cool.

Comment

• I think people are taking this a little seriously. Simmons was kidding. Bargnani doesn't allow 40 points a game. Though he does allow many. I like Simmons, his book was a good read imo.

Comment

Actually the first two chapters talked about winning, and the difference between a player who wins and one who doesn't. He made A LOT of good points. To anyone who is interested in what it takes to win, those chapters should have been VERY interesting.
                    find a single paragraph in those first two chapters that doesnt mention the celtics.

its not about winning... its about the celtics winning.

he barely mentions other teams with winning traditions

Comment

• and for the record... im not hating on him... like i already said, before timmy took objection to somebody having an opinion about a couple chapters he didnt agree with, i really enjoyed the book.

i'm just not a celtics fan... so two chapters of "celtics, celtics, celtics, bill russell, celtics, celtics, celtics, larry bird, celtics.. jizz jizz jizz" wasn't my cup of tea.

Comment

• Yeah dude, I'm a Raps fan OK. I don't need to hear about some Celtics wank watching the C's all his life, wha wha wha. Boston this, Russell that.

Where was Bill Russell when the Celtics were the worst team in the East and Pierce was just a good player on a shite team.

All these fairweather fans emerge when their teams do well.

PS Heinz don't get sucked in by Mr W, he just wants to engage in trollerific banter

Comment

and for the record... im not hating on him... like i already said, before timmy took objection to somebody having an opinion about a couple chapters he didnt agree with, i really enjoyed the book.

i'm just not a celtics fan... so two chapters of "celtics, celtics, celtics, bill russell, celtics, celtics, celtics, larry bird, celtics.. jizz jizz jizz" wasn't my cup of tea.
                          If you didn't get what the point of the two chapters were (the first chapter is called "The Secret" and it's about the secret to winning) then that says more about you than it does about the book. For the record, I'm not a fan of the Celtics, either, but I'm a basketball fan, first and foremost. And I'm a fan of winning.
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

If you didn't get what the point of the two chapters were (the first chapter is called "The Secret" and it's about the secret to winning) then that says more about you than it does about the book. For the record, I'm not a fan of the Celtics, either, but I'm a basketball fan, first and foremost. And I'm a fan of winning.
                            the subtext may have been about winning, but the subject was about the celtics...

it was like having a book about world racism, but the entire first two chapters were about some random ginger kid who got teased in grade school, but overcame and went on to become a CEO of a Fortune 500 company.... and you also slip in a "oh ya, the jews had it rough in germany also"

if you're writing a book about basketball, and you're trying to make a point about winning, where the hell are the lakers other than a quick mention? the bulls? the spurs?

i get that he was trying to relay a message about "winning"... but his vehicle to do so was a celtics wankfest.

Comment

the subtext may have been about winning, but the subject was about the celtics...

it was like having a book about world racism, but the entire first two chapters were about some random ginger kid who got teased in grade school, but overcame and went on to become a CEO of a Fortune 500 company.... and you also slip in a "oh ya, the jews had it rough in germany also"

if you're writing a book about basketball, and you're trying to make a point about winning, where the hell are the lakers other than a quick mention? the bulls? the spurs?

i get that he was trying to relay a message about "winning"... but his vehicle to do so was a celtics wankfest.
                              The 60's Celtics were the biggest dynasty in professional sports history. I'd say that was a good place to focus if you're talking about history. And, at least in the version I read, Simmons talked about the Pistons, Rockets, Lakers, Spurs, Bulls, Blazers as well as just about every other team that had won a Championship, The Celtics are obviously who he knows best, so it's understandable to focus there. Plus, the difference between Russell and Wilt was the perfect example of the difference between a player who wants to win and a player who demands to win.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• what is this, the bill simmons fan club? or the celtics fan club?

You guys are supporting this douchebag? Would you wanna hang out with this guy? He looks like the stuff inside Bosh's mouth in Heinz's avatar!

Comment

Working...
                                X