Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
    People are jumping on the "let's blame Triano bus" way too quickly. The team has been completely decimated by injuries, they have one of the youngest and most inexperienced rosters in the league, and unfortunately with some of the least amount of talent. The best scorer can't defend or rebound, the best rebounder can't score and the best defender can't shoot. Flawed doesn't begin to describe this roster.

They play hard in most games, but with the roster the way it is right now, you could go back in time and grab a Red Auerbach in his coaching prime and he wouldn't make much of a difference with this team.

Triano has made his fair share of mistakes, and I completely disagree with putting Bargnani on LeBron, but it doesn't mean he was wrong. I have no idea what the reasoning was behind it, but since he knows far, far more about basketball than any of us, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

The bottom line is that Triano has done what he can in a no-win situation. Like the players, he has developed as a coach in the 2 years he's been the head coach. He's learned from his mistakes as everyone does.

And anyone that thinks PJ Carlesimo or Larry Brown is the solution should give their head a shake. Both are excellent coaches, but neither is going to solve the Raptor's woes. Carlesimo was fired in a similar situation in Seattle when Kevin Durant was in his rookie season. Larry Brown certainly didn't help make the Knicks into anything and failed in Charlotte this season. Coaches are not cure-alls.

Coaches can't make bad players into good ones. They can't make players who don't care about defense into good defensive players. They can't make lazy players into hustlers. They can't win with bad team. Each coach has his strengths and his weaknesses. Phil Jackson has been criticized because of his inability to handle Kobe, something that he left up to Tex Winter when he was on staff. Winter also handled a lot of the x's and o's.

I see absolutely no point in firing Triano now or this summer. There's really be no point. It's not like a change of coach is going to make Bargnani play defense. Maybe Triano is not the coach that can take the team to a Championship, but replacing him in mid-rebuild is pointless.
    I am pretty sure PJ was fired early into Durant's second year. They still finished 23-59 that season.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I am pretty sure PJ was fired early into Durant's second year. They still finished 23-59 that season.
      Yes, he was. I meant to say that PJ was Durant's coach for his rookie season. The team obviously didn't do well, winning 20 games that year.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Yes, he was. I meant to say that PJ was Durant's coach for his rookie season. The team obviously didn't do well, winning 20 games that year.
        I agree with Tim, we have essentially given JT a big heaping turd of a team and asked him to make a diamond out of it. He's trying his best, and he too is still a rookie coach in the NBA. I'm sure he's learning from each game just like the players are. We will get better each year. People overlook the fact that PJ doesn't exactly have a storied NBA career either.

Comment

• I agree with not firing him, all I'm saying is he's making mistakes a rookie head coach doesn't and he's 3 years in the job. The team has taken the identity of the coach and GM and doesn't even care about defense. The blame can only be placed on the players or the coach. Either the players don't want to play defense or the coach isn't coaching defense. Watching Bosh play the best defense of his career in Miami and Hedo play defense in Orlando leads me to believe it's more on coaching. The Raptors were a middle-of-the-pack defensive team prior to JT and now 2 years bottom of the league. Fans blame Bargnani but his off-court numbers are still terrible compared to the rest of the league. You may think I'm placing all the blame on JT but that's not the case. It's the system which emphasizes offense and pace which is causing this. Colangelo's style of play is the true cause of this but it doesn't excuse JT from making horrible decisions like placing Andrea on Lebron

Comment

• ibzilla wrote: View Post
            I agree with not firing him, all I'm saying is he's making mistakes a rookie head coach doesn't and he's 3 years in the job. The team has taken the identity of the coach and GM and doesn't even care about defense. The blame can only be placed on the players or the coach. Either the players don't want to play defense or the coach isn't coaching defense. Watching Bosh play the best defense of his career in Miami and Hedo play defense in Orlando leads me to believe it's more on coaching. The Raptors were a middle-of-the-pack defensive team prior to JT and now 2 years bottom of the league. Fans blame Bargnani but his off-court numbers are still terrible compared to the rest of the league. You may think I'm placing all the blame on JT but that's not the case. It's the system which emphasizes offense and pace which is causing this. Colangelo's style of play is the true cause of this but it doesn't excuse JT from making horrible decisions like placing Andrea on Lebron
            Decisions are made based on matchups and moments in games. Im sure JT had a reason for that.

Comment

• Think about who played. Who was going to guard him?

Calderon? Did on switches but no.
              Demar? Would be abused in the post - and wouldn't be able to keep him in front anyways.
              Wright? Tried it at the start - abused.
              Johnson? Possible but he would have fouled out in 4 1/2 minutes.
              Davis? Talk about throwing your rookie under the bus.
              Gaines? More of a shot than Calderon but no.
              Bayless? Try again.
              Alabi? LOL - did you see ORL?

Bargnani got it by default. You might as well give LeBron his and stop everyone else.

That strategy actually got them back to single digits in the 4th quarter.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Alabi on James?
                I am not saying Alabi on James. I am saying, if you don't have enough players playing and there is a healthy player on the bench, play him a few minutes to give others rest. No matter how badly he plays, as long as he try hard he will break the ice and can only get better. What do you have to lose anyway? We were getting beat!

Comment

• Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                  I am not saying Alabi on James. I am saying, if you don't have enough players playing and there is a healthy player on the bench, play him a few minutes to give others rest. No matter how badly he plays, as long as he try hard he will break the ice and can only get better. What do you have to lose anyway? We were getting beat!
                  Alabi said he didnt wanna play

Comment

• Frankthetank wrote: View Post
                    We would suck with curry and beidreis on the team (our front line wouldn't have a guy who wieghed more then 230 pounds What a F__kin joke). This spin a trade dial is for 2 year olds.
                    Yes Bargnani plays defense like he's 150.

Frank ya need to cut back on the caffeine.

Comment

• Frankthetank wrote: View Post
                      Tim W just because you write a blog doesn't give you the right to be an arse.
                      That's true. You don't write a blog and you're doing it!
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Why get rid of Bargnani?

I started a thread yesterday that focused on the speculation of the team showcasing Calderon's talents coming up to the trade deadline. I was happy with the reply but it sparked an interest in this subject. No this isn't a trade proposal so don't move it to the other forum. I want to hear people's opinions about Bargnani and why in my other thread they'd like to see him go before Calderon.

First off I am not oblivious to the guy's weaknesses. He obviously has defensive issues that we would all like to see him get rid of. I'll ask the question though, if he learnt how to play it, would you want to keep him? He'd be by far the best lottery pick of that year if he can figure it out.

Fact is Bargnani is a good basketball player with a weakness, but if you trade everyone because of a single weakness then you'll probably end up moving everyone on every team. Even Carmelo is a one dimensional player, but I digress. I'll start the thread off by saying that Bargnani has too much upside to move him just yet. He's not a Kwame Brown who is expendable because he's just like the next guy. He has shown us flashes of what he is capable of and he will keep improving. The opinion that I've seen around the league is that centers don't really figure things out until they're about 28 or 29. haha, maybe he's even the opposite of Dwight howard. Dwight had the defense down and is just now learning how to play offense.

What do you think? Is he bad enough that he should be traded or should they keep developing him?

Comment

• For what he produces, I'd say that he's worth his contract. I'd keep the guy. I feel as though his game is only going to evolve even more. He's only 25.

Comment

• (I'd like to see Calderon go before Bargnani.)

I was a huge Bargnani fan, he was my favourite player on the team, but the time is waiting to his defense to improve has passed. He just doesn't have the innate defensive instincts. Maybe he's overthinking things, trying to override his natural guard tendencies. It slows him down, and that time spent thinking "I have to help here" is crucial.

If we got realistic, and just made his a 6th man and reduced his minutes, I'd be willing to keep him. He would murder 2nd units, and could get away with his D. With the reduced minutes, he'd probably go back to looking almost passable, like he was last year. But that's unlikely, almost as unlikely as him being moved. So we're still going to try and continue to contort the entire roster to justify him starting. For example, he's the 3rd worst rebounding 7 footer ever. (That have played over 900 minutes, sorted by rebounding rate in ascending order. 128 players on that list.) I just can't see it. You can think that he's going to improve, but would be a drastic and unheard of improvement as far as I can tell.

But I'd rather get a combo guard to be our 6th man, find a defensive center to start and get a scoring SF. I'm tired of hide starting players on the defensive end. You hide them on the offense. ("But, but DeRozan..." 1. He's not nearly as problematic as Calderon or Bargnani are. Not even close. 2. He's shown improvement of late...very late. 3. He has the work ethic and said that he wants to be an all-around player. 4. If he's still *that* bad defensively in 3 years or so, I'll want him gone too.)

That just my opinion. I just can't see us succeeding with either of them starting. I'm still adamant about how terrible the defensive combo of Calderon and Bargnani are.

Comment

• I'd rather pursue moving him to the 4 spot if there was a big that could play centre. Seeing our bigs against Gasol and Randolph when Memphis was here was telling. The experts say his natural position is at the 4 and ideally he would play there both ways. When Reggie's healthy, he takes a bit of the defensive burden off Bargnani but until there is a wide-body centre that is the reality we have to live with. Is easier to get someone with Bargnani's skill set and size or to get a BIG that could play starter minutes? The last thing I'd want to see is Bargnani head to a team with that big centre already in place, Bargnani play his natural position and flourish. We've had 5 years to find a bigger center. Granted, 4 of those years we decided to keep Bosh at the 4 and keep starting Bargnani, but shake those trees and see if there is another Tyson Chandler type that the Raps can pry off someone's roster or out of the draft. Sit tight.

Comment

• Keep Bargs, trade Caldy. I would like to see a lineup with Bargs at the 4 and a big brusing player at the 5. Man, I wish we picked up Tyson Chandler. Reggie was good too, come back soon homey. Call me crazy, but despite the emotinal baggage i would love to see Demarcus Cousins as our 5. Or Dejuan Blair, but you better believe the Spurs aren't moving him.

Comment

Working...
                                X