Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
    You could be right about what Colangelo said about trading O'Neal. I don't remember, but like I said, I don't really care. It doesn't matter what someone says. It matters what they do.

And I've certainly not been on board with a lot of Colangelo's moves, and I would have done a lot of things differently, but just because I disagree with someone, doesn't mean I don't respect what they have done.

I've never felt that Bargnani was someone the team should draft, let alone keep. One of my bones of contention with Colangelo is investing so much to develop a player who is so one dimensional. Of course you can't say Bargnani was a bad pick because he's arguably one of the top five players from that draft.

I never liked signing Kapono, another one dimensional player.

I thought he should have held only O'Neal and try and either trade him that summer or before the next deadline, as an expiring contract at a time when expiring contracts were actually worth something (unlike this season). Of course that has nothing to do with him playing beside Bargnani. Keeping O'Neal would have meant continuing to play Bargnani at the 3, which was a bad thing. Bargnani performed best when playing center, and if O'Neal was on the team, that would have been difficult.

I didn't necessarily agree with, but completely understood him trading for Jermaine O'Neal. After the Raptors got spanked by Orlando in the playoffs, Bargnani looked lost and far too unready to start, and Nesterovic was becoming too old to be effective. I wanted to see if Denver would have traded Nene for Ford+, but apparently Denver had no interest in Ford at the time.

I didn't particularly like, but understood the signing of Turkoglu. My first choice, and apparently Colangelo's- Trevor Ariza- turned down a bigger deal to sign with Houston, and there was little else on the market. If Colangelo wanted ANY chance of re-signing Bosh, he needed to do something. Turkoglu was a necessary evil that simply didn't work out.

Of course, I did really like HOW he signed Turkoglu, getting back Belinelli and Wright the way he did.

I liked him signing Jarret Jack, even if it didn't work out all that well.

I loved how he turned Carlos Delfino signing with another team into Amir Johnson (a player better than Delfino) and Sonny Weems.

I really liked his pick of DeMar DeRozan and was thrilled about him picking Ed Davis.

I loved Colangelo trading Villaneuva away and thought getting Ford was a great deal.

I thought trading for Bayless was a positive move and getting a 2nd round and Ajinca out of Dallas was good.

Being able to move Turkoglu for a productive player with a decent contract after the year he had was far more than I would have hoped.

I actually thought the signing of Kleiza was pretty good at the time, but of course I thought he would perform better and become another asset for the team.

On the other hand, I didn't like him signing Anthony Parker and Garbajosa with the cap space they had that summer, but it ended up being a great signing that helped the team win the Atlantic and changed the atmosphere of the team.

There are more, but you get the point. Colangelo hasn't done a great job, but he has done enough right that I would like to see how he reacts to the situation he's in now. Not using the TPE on an overpriced veteran that will win a few more games has been HUGE. Outside of Bargnani, I'm fine with the roster the Raptors have.
    ok this is all great, but do you in any way have sympathy for bargnani for being one of the only centres in NBA history to have to constantly play with 4 other guys who at their best are below average defenders ?

all of a sudden pau gasol is considered above average on defense, but did any of that have to do with him playing with Kobe (All NBA defensive team), Artest (one of the top 5 wing defenders in the league), fisher (old but dirty as hell), and bynum...

you think gasol has to look over his sholulder constantly cuz he'z worried the opposing PG is coming in for a dunk cuz jose clapped tripped and is now on the ground ?

NO

it's more to do with BC not understanding a simple concept in basketball, which is you dont just score the basketball, you also have to PREVENT the other team from scoring.

Comment

• karim_nasir wrote: View Post
      ok this is all great, but do you in any way have sympathy for bargnani for being one of the only centres in NBA history to have to constantly play with 4 other guys who at their best are below average defenders ?

all of a sudden pau gasol is considered above average on defense, but did any of that have to do with him playing with Kobe (All NBA defensive team), Artest (one of the top 5 wing defenders in the league), fisher (old but dirty as hell), and bynum...

you think gasol has to look over his sholulder constantly cuz he'z worried the opposing PG is coming in for a dunk cuz jose clapped tripped and is now on the ground ?

NO

it's more to do with BC not understanding a simple concept in basketball, which is you dont just score the basketball, you also have to PREVENT the other team from scoring.
      Gasol is a bad example. He did lead the Grizzlies to quite a few winning seasons. He did more than Bosh ever did. And Bosh is a better player compared to Bargnani, so you can't compare them.

Comment

• JoePanini wrote: View Post
        Gasol is a bad example. He did lead the Grizzlies to quite a few winning seasons. He did more than Bosh ever did. And Bosh is a better player compared to Bargnani, so you can't compare them.
        no im talking about gasol was never considered a good defender... its only when he went to LAL, that he somehow improved... and im trying to point out, that when you have decent players around you and every defensive possession you dont have to spend so much mental energy worrying about the help defense, cuz Demar or turk lost their man who is now running at the rim for a dunk, and you're supposed to stop him... it can be tough and it can get annoying after a few games (weeks, months, seasons)

the blame is on brian colangelo for not getting atleast 2 players who are average defenders.

bc was more interested in signing turkoglu and kapono, then getting pretty much wat every winning team will tell you wins them games... DEFENSE !

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
          If Hibbert has a career night tonight, I'm logging in tomorrow for the fireworks!!!

BTW, I just noticed that the Cavs just suffered their 20th straight loss. I watch a lot of sport shows and I have to admit, it hasn't been front and center (sorry no pun intended as that word seems to bring out the worst in the fans in Raptorville).
          Hey, I'm right, let the fireworks begin!!!
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Anyone ever heard the phrase 'offense wins championships'? No? Wonder why...

Comment

• karim_nasir wrote: View Post

NO

Okay, exaggerate much? Bargnani is certainly not one of the only centers in NBA history that has had to play with guys who are below average defenders. Bargnani has played the majority of his minutes with Amir, who is an above average defender. He's also played a lot of minutes with Davis, whose also an above average defender. Lately, he's been playing a lot of minutes with Wright, who is an above average defender. Your argument is flawed because it's actually wrong.

And Pau Gasol was never considered a poor defender. Not when he was in Memphis or the Lakers. He struggled against big centers, because many felt he was playing out of position at center, but Bargnani certainly doesn't have that problem. In fact for a couple of years, when the Grizzlies were a playoff team, they were a one of the better defensive teams in the league and Gasol even got a vote for the All-Defensive team. The notion that Gasol was considered a poor defender on Memphis and a good defender on the Lakers is a myth.

I certainly agree that the Raptor organization needs to focus more on defense, but having teammates who are poor defenders doesn't cause Bargnani to consistently rotate too late, or not rotate, or be out of position, or turn his back to the ball, or fail to box out, or fail to prevent his man from deep position.

Having teammates who are poor defenders certainly hasn't hurt Amir Johnson or Ed Davis' reputations as defenders. Both of them are considered above average defenders. You want to know why? Because they are.

To some people who don't really know basketball, things like you mentioned might cause some players to look bad, but anyone who knows basketball can figure out who's a good defender and who's a bad defender just by watching them. And Bargnani, no matter how you look at it, is a bad defender.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• how is this even a debate, There's no point to get the facts its all on the table, the game last night was just sad....when Bargs is not scoring he is just a waste of a player on the court we might as well play with 4 players because he does not conrtibute in any positive way. I hope Ed Davis is the new face of the franchise this is a player we need... It was sooo funny last night seeing Bargs getting POSTERIZED by McRoberts LOL I don't get you irrational Bargnani fan boys
                Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

• Buschfire wrote: View Post
                  how is this even a debate, There's no point to get the facts its all on the table, the game last night was just sad....when Bargs is not scoring he is just a waste of a player on the court we might as well play with 4 players because he does not conrtibute in any positive way. I hope Ed Davis is the new face of the franchise this is a player we need... It was sooo funny last night seeing Bargs getting POSTERIZED by McRoberts LOL I don't get you irrational Bargnani fan boys
                  I know right. Why support a player who admitted himself he doesn't play 100% every night, how is he any different from VC?

Comment

• Wayne Winston: Bargnani an All-Star in East

Well folks, here is one I thought I'd never see.

Check out the article here.

http://waynewinston.com/wordpress/?p=1047

According to Mr. Winston and his advanced stats, Bargnani is an All-Star.

Comment

• Seeten wrote: View Post
                      Well folks, here is one I thought I'd never see.

Check out the article here.

http://waynewinston.com/wordpress/?p=1047

According to Mr. Winston and his advanced stats, Bargnani is an All-Star.
                      AND Amir Johnson?!
                      Wow I love this guy!! Is he from Toronto?! haha

Comment

• wow... this looks like an argument i was just reading....

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post62942

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          AND Amir Johnson?!
                          Wow I love this guy!! Is he from Toronto?! haha
                          No, he used to consult for Mark Cuban.

Comment

• Really interesting read. I wonder how much of these 'advanced stats' the Raptors employ.

Comment

• First off, let me be the first to thank you Seeten. I have been espousing Wayne Winston's mathletics on this board for a loonnng time and nobody would accept his statistical findings.

The connection between Winston's findings and Bargs' performance this year is irrefutubale.

Att: Nine New Faces, What What- this is what i was talking about. I hope we can all be friends now.

Great post, keep em coming.

Comment

• He left off, among others, Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant. The saying "take it with a grain of salt" is a massive understatement.
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X