Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    "The No-Stats All-Star"http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/ma...pagewanted=all
    This is a GREAT READ. Little long, but grab a beer and really read it. Will turn Shane Battier into your favourite player, and will at least show the value of where these stats are useful, and where they are not.
    I used to pine for Battier to be traded to the Raptors. Now, I like him too much for that. He's a free agent this summer and I almost want to write him a letter asking him to please go to a contender that can get the most out of his talents. Orlando would be morons not go after him. So would Dallas. Of course, I'd love to see him on San Antonio only because they are my second favourite team and if anyone is a Spur player, he is.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Multipaul wrote: View Post
      Truer words have never been spoken
      Then I guess you'll agree with me how ridiculous that notion is and as such this guy's model, while having good intentions, is extremely flawed and not worth much consideration.

Comment

• Say Multipaul. You know T-Mac was painted with the same brush by the media? You know, him scoring all those points and his teams always underachieving? That article you're linking in supports your belief but... You seem to be attempting to build a house on a foundation of jello. Ball doesn't lie but people with too much time on their hands can come up with blog postings presenting a view supported on numbers but that view doesn't always mirror reality.
        Last edited by Apollo; Tue Feb 1, 2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• multipaul...the epitome of blissful ignorance.
          TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            Then I guess you'll agree with me how ridiculous that notion is and as such this guy's model, while having good intentions, is extremely flawed and not worth much consideration.
            most statistical analysis is flawed. im sure there were existing stats that told coca cola that "new coke" would be a raging success.

i view statistics as simply a form of using existing data to forecast... and people that base arguments on it the Frankie Flowers of the board.

Comment

Say Multipaul. You know T-Mac was painted with the same brush by the media? You know, him scoring all those points and his teams always underachieving? That article you're linking in supports your belief but... You seem to be attempting to build a house on a foundation of jello. Ball doesn't lie but people with too much time on their hands can come up with blog postings presenting a view based on numbers that does not mirror reality.
              I'm just trying to keep it positive my bro, whats the point on hating all the time. If it was all hatin, lets talk Kleiza, Amir, DD, Weems, everyone. Everyone sucks equally this year, and Andrea has been sucking lately too. Doesn't mean he isnt a #1 draft pick with a helluva lot of talent, best player on our team in fact.

Comment

• Multipaul wrote: View Post
                I'm just trying to keep it positive my bro, whats the point on hating all the time. If it was all hatin, lets talk Kleiza, Amir, DD, Weems, everyone. Everyone sucks equally this year, and Andrea has been sucking lately too. Doesn't mean he isnt a #1 draft pick with a helluva lot of talent, best player on our team in fact.
                Dude, you "hate" on Amir - that isn't a secret.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                  most statistical analysis is flawed.... and people that base arguments on it the Frankie Flowers of the board.
                  So what does that make the people who watch the games but are so blind that they can't see recognize a bad player after watching him for 4 seasons?

Comment

• Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
                    So what does that make the people who watch the games but are so blind that they can't see recognize a bad player after watching him for 4 seasons?
                    what's it like to ask a blatantly leading question when you pretty much summed up what you think the correct answer should be in the form of your question?

Comment

most statistical analysis is flawed. im sure there were existing stats that told coca cola that "new coke" would be a raging success.
                      Your example is of forecasting using data. Totally different. We're talking about a guy using data to tell me that Andrea Bargnani deserves to be in the all-star game over Dwight Howard. If I presented a stat suggesting that eternal happiness is tied to jumping off a cliff would you endorse jumping off a cliff or would you use logic to make a judgment call that made sense?
                      Last edited by Apollo; Tue Feb 1, 2011, 05:20 PM.

Comment

what's it like to ask a blatantly leading question when you pretty much summed up what you think the correct answer should be in the form of your question?
                        HAHAHA Heinz.
                        Great pic, btw.

Comment

Your example is of forecasting using data. Totally different. We're talking about a guy using data to tell me that Andrea Bargnani deserves to be in the all-star game over Dwight Howard. If I presented a stat suggesting that eternal happiness is tied to jumping off a cliff would you endorse jumping off a cliff or would you use logic to make a judgment call that made sense?
                          i read mr winston's posting completely different.. i dont think he was saying "these guys should be all-stars, and here are the stats to prove it"... i read it more as "based on these specific statistics, these would be the all-stars"..

i don't think he was actually saying "THESE are your best players in the league"... that would just be stupid

but to more important matters.... eternal happiness, you say? where do i sign up?

Comment

Effective. Very effective.

Does someone not like it getting thrown back at them when they call others 'nerds' or 'Frankie Flowers' when they argue using stats?

Comment

Apollo, you know Wayne Winston's credentials, his stats are bang on

Comment

i read mr winston's posting completely different.. i dont think he was saying "these guys should be all-stars, and here are the stats to prove it"... i read it more as "based on these specific statistics, these would be the all-stars"..

i don't think he was actually saying "THESE are your best players in the league"... that would just be stupid

but to more important matters.... eternal happiness, you say? where do i sign up?
                                I fail to see the point of the article, then. If he wrote the article to point out how flawed the system that came up with those results is, then I can understand. But I could easily think up some sort of flawed system of statistical analysis. It doesn't mean it's worthy of telling people.

By writing the article, he's showing his system is completely flawed, but that doesn't seem to be the point of the article.
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X