Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Interesting.

Ask yourself this, if you had to choose between 1 guy to be your focus on offense, night in, night out, hypothetically, would you want Bargs, or DD. I think Bargs' skillset is vastly superior and more dynamic and varied.

If you only want to focus only on offense, and throw defense out completely than I choose Bargnani. Right now Bargnani is the most skilled offensive weapon we have. But I will say that DD is athletic and is a wing player. So DD's potential is far better than Bargnani's potential on offense.

If you rate DD's offense 3 years from now, and compare that to Bargnani's offense today, then I think DD will be better. I cannot prove it of course until we wait 3 years, but I think athletic wings have far more potential on offense (especially if they become 'The Man') than someone like Bargnani who is gifted offensively. Just because a wing can do more with the ball than a Big. A shooting guard (after playing for a few years, and gain better IQ) has the ability to do far more with a ball on offense than a Big just because they will have better ball control and more flexibility with the ball. I am not so sure if DD will ever develop that killer instinct though, and that is something that a good shooting guard just has to have.

Comment

• sure why not trade bargnani for Oden, I want their 2011 first round draft pick valued at #21 along with him tho.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        If you only want to focus only on offense, and throw defense out completely than I choose Bargnani. Right now Bargnani is the most skilled offensive weapon we have. But I will say that DD is athletic and is a wing player. So DD's potential is far better than Bargnani's potential on offense.

If you rate DD's offense 3 years from now, and compare that to Bargnani's offense today, then I think DD will be better. I cannot prove it of course until we wait 3 years, but I think athletic wings have far more potential on offense (especially if they become 'The Man') than someone like Bargnani who is gifted offensively. Just because a wing can do more with the ball than a Big. A shooting guard (after playing for a few years, and gain better IQ) has the ability to do far more with a ball on offense than a Big just because they will have better ball control and more flexibility with the ball. I am not so sure if DD will ever develop that killer instinct though, and that is something that a good shooting guard just has to have.
        Shooting guards typically mature by age 23, unless DD develops a 3 ball, he has no chance of matching Bargs' output on offense.

With respect to D, Demar has got burned all year by most 2's on every team we have played. He has a LONG way to go, but I think he might make it someday.

Comment

Shooting guards typically mature by age 23
          I think you're off by three or four years.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            I think you're off by three or four years.
            really? I've read multiple posters on this site say 23 , seemed to be a common mentality

Comment

• Considering that most seniors don't even enter the league until 22 or 23 I would have to disagree with you. Considering that DeMar has only been out of high school for three years and has made three successful big leaps I would tend to think his growth potential is high.

Next season I predict
              Impact player to go to scorer (20PPG) ---> Success

Comment

• This is such a non starter it's not funny. Greg Oden isn't going anywhere. Portland is going to make a qualifying offer to him for $8.8 Million, with the possiblity for an extension. Because when you have the chance to lock up a guy with bad wheels, has one leg shorter than the other and fouls at an alarming rate, you have to do it:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...zers_face.html

And I agree with what someone said in the thread before, it's time to stop getting guys to cover Bargnani's weaknesses (didn't we just go through watching this team try to build around an all offence power forward who has an aversion to defence and plays on the perimiter who BTW, was MUCH better than Bargnani). If he has problems on defence with 5s, he's not going to be able to handle the Dirk Nowitzkis and the Kevin Garnetts of the world (actually, I think I would pay to see Bargnani try to guard LeBron James when Miami goes small). The sooner they realize that he's Mehmet Okur (a good big off the bench that can carry a 2nd unit defense) the better.
                Last edited by DirtyMikeSeaver; Tue Mar 29, 2011, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• Another chat, another opinion:

Bryan in Toronto:
                  In your opinion: What is Andrea Bargnani's trade value and what teams would be interested in him?
                  Eric Pincus:
                  I'd have to look into it. Personally I'd advise the Raptors to keep him and look to add in complementary pieces. Bargnani certainly isn't perfect but he's a very difficult cover when surrounded by the right teammates.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?C...#ixzz1I27uR2Fj

Comment

• I really don't consider Bargs a part of the future moving forward. Time to cut this one loose while he still has value. I'm interested to see the kinds of offers BC gets for him, provided that the rumour has merit. Covering his deficiencies is a band aid solution. This team needs a core and With Davis, Johnson and Demar, I feel that this franchise has a chance to be special in several years.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

really? I've read multiple posters on this site say 23 , seemed to be a common mentality
                      Multiple posters on this site say that you can't win Bargnani starting. Seems to be a common mentality.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I mentioned 23 but I actually glanced at Bill Simmons' book, and the peak year was 24, not 23 for elite shooting guards. That is the year that most shooting guards peak.

In his book (The Book of Basketball pp 326-327) he shows the stats for Jordan, Kobe, AI, TMac and Wade, and shows that when they turn 24 that is statistically their best season in their career. Actually for AI it was when he turned 25, but the excuse for AI was that he spent 5 months in jail, so its a 'young 25'.

But that year is the year they peak, not the year they mature. Hopefully their maturity level peaks at the time they retire. :-)

So if we can wait to see what DD is like at 23-24 that should be his best statistical season based on Simmons' theory.

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                          This team needs a core and With Davis, Johnson and Demar, I feel that this franchise has a chance to be special in several years.
                          +2 Yes i think if we get rid of Bargs and get a good C back then i'd trade him. And i too believe that this team will become something special in a few years.

Comment

Yeah, because almost doubling his rebounding total and tripling his blocks is something he can fix over a long weekend...
                            He couldn't do it in his lifetime. BTw in 2k11 Bargs is a monster in the paint which is pretty F'd up.

Comment

Considering that most seniors don't even enter the league until 22 or 23 I would have to disagree with you. Considering that DeMar has only been out of high school for three years and has made three successful big leaps I would tend to think his growth potential is high.

Next season I predict
                              Impact player to go to scorer (20PPG) ---> Success
                              check those babies off.

Comment

Bargnani is a lot cheaper than Reshard Lewis. He's getting paid like half as much. They'll get something good for him in my opinion.
                                You think so? i'm really excited to see what BC will bring in. Can't wait till the draft

Comment

Working...
                                X