Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so he's not coming back?

Comment

• How will they ever be able to defend themselves against allegations of cheating?
      LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• Hahaha. Not so fast, the Pope is stepping in!

The team isn’t sure if they want to partner with the website and have made it clear that ethical issues are holding up Bargnani’s signing. When international teams accept money from sponsors, they often incorporate the business into their team’s name. That’s what the website wants, a change from Virtus Roma to Ashley Madison Roma, in addition to advertisements on each jersey and throughout the arena.

Even if the team decides to accept the sponsorship, Italian reports have suggested that the Vatican could stop the deal from being finalized. The team’s facilities are next to Vatican City and there are some who believe the Church will try to step in and block the move.
        http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-lon...imal-progress/
        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• Man I was just in rome and there isn't anything remotely Ball related anywhere near the Vatican City. Just tourist traps. I was on the lookout for any sign of BBall, specially cuz it was when the EuroBasket was going down and there was an international 3 on 3 comp somewhere in Italy but you'd never know it. Not reported in the papers, no transit posters nada.
          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• Hahaha. Not so fast, the Pope is stepping in!
            Where was the Pope when BC drafted Bargnani?

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post
              Hahaha. Not so fast, the Pope is stepping in!
              with this pope it'd be "goose stepping" nyuck nyuck nyuck
              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• Andrea not involved with Ashley Madison or Virtus Roma

Andrea tweeted this a couple of days ago:

I want all my fans and all who have been reading the newspapers lately that I am not involved in any news written or attributed to me for the past month.
                So, as this article points out, don't believe the hype:

http://www.ballineurope.com/us-baske...n-rumors-5505/
                Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

• I would have a difficult time wearing anything on my person which promoted infidelity.

Comment

• Chandler did take a moment to just talk hoops, and after playing with and against the best players in the world he tapped new (and former?) teammate Dirk Nowitzki as the best player in the NBA.

“I would go with Dirk. It’s funny, I tweeted about it and I’ve been catching the same flack about it. But I feel it’s proven by what he did last year, what he did to the Lakers, what he did to Oklahoma City, what he did in the Finals, throughout the whole playoffs Dirk just became a man possessed. He went to a whole other level offensively. People talk about what he did defensively, but he actually stepped it up better during the playoffs last year and became a better team defender. And my whole thing is if you outscore the guy defending you by 10 to 15 points, then you’re playing pretty good D.”

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-a-new-threat-to-nba/
                    If Bargnani can just score 42 points per game, he'll be playing pretty good D.

Comment

• Why they did not target Tony Parker - a star, a champion, and a man experienced in this domain - is way beyond me.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        If Bargnani can just score 42 points per game, he'll be playing pretty good D.
                        hahaha i dont think Chandler's statement even made sense

Comment

• I find it truly remarkable how some fans can still hold out hope that Bargnani "might" turn his career around. Is 5 years really too short a sample size? Really? Is watching paint dry a fun Sunday afternoon activity for these people with infinite patience?

I can already hear the excuses if Bargnani (to nobody's surprise) continues to struggle in ALL aspects of the game outside scoring:

- "It was only his 1st year under a new coach. Let's see how his 7th season turns out."
                          - "We didn't have Valanciunas on the roster. He'll be able to cover for Bargnani once he arrives."
                          - "Opposing defences gameplan around Bargnani, which explains his off numbers. It doesn't mean he's a bad player"
                          - "Blah, blah, blah"

Imagine Dion Phaneuf scoring 30 goals a season, but finishing with a league worst minus-35. He would be hockey's equivalent to Bargnani.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                            Stating an OK player is good enough to be potential starter on a playoff team is not saying much in my opinion. Many playoff teams have holes which can be improved upon by bringing in a marginally better player.

Is Amir a finished product? No, in my opinion. I believe there is a good chance his ceiling is higher than what he has shown in 2010-11. Is he good enough to be a starter on a number of playoff teams? Not at this stage of his career in my opinion but I am not certain I will provide the same answer in two years. My guess, and it is just a guess, is that at worst he will be good enough to be the first big off the bench for most playoff team. Very useful player and I see no reason to trade him at this time.

Is Andrea a finished product? No, in my opinion, his stats are nowhere close to constants or incremental progressions/regressions. He has non-standard skills for his position (whatever that is) and that makes it more difficult to project his progression. I think he will play a significantly role for a team who needs his specific skill set for years to come, be it with the Raptors or another team. I would not be so quick in pulling the trigger with him if I was Colangelo because none of the projected 3 (or 4 if one believes the Alabi spin) have yet shown the ability to create their own shot or being good scorers. I am not saying the Raptors and any other team absolutely need a good scoring big man, just that I would be hesitant to do so before it's clearer how the other bigs will project.
                            One player's only above average skill is scoring, but doesn't do it all that efficiently and tends to lose focus when he doesn't get the ball. He needs to be surrounded by very good defensive players and rebounders to make up for his deficiencies, and even then, you run the risk of being exposed, especially in the playoffs, by teams who will see him as a weak link. And since he is not generally the most focused player, so needs a coach who will ride him, but not too hard. And he's also shown to be less effective when coming off the bench.

The other player is a good all around player and productive on both ends of the court, although he needs to be on a team with good offensive players. He doesn't need the ball to be effective, though, but he moves very well without it, has good hands and is a very efficient scorer when he does get the ball. He also hustles and doesn't need to be coddled or worried about. He is just as effective playing 20 minutes off the bench as he is playing 30 minutes starting.

Gee, which player would YOU want?
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Should we really consider it a "pro" if Bargnani can't rebound and/or protect the rim (2 qualities that would be required from either the PF or C positions)? He doesn't play either position particularly well.
                              Fans on here are split on Bargnani, so there's no point getting into an argument about him. I happen to think he can improve his scoring efficiency and with a little bit of a fire lit under his ass, can add a rebound or two to his stats. I also think that if the team defense improves under a decent defensive coach, that his average man-D and poor help-D wouldn't be nearly as magnfied as last year. Bargnani, Calderon and DeRozan were all essentially pilons last season - the constant penetration put way too much pressure on the team D and Bargnani's poor help-D was exploited.

I think he will still become an above average offensive player, especially at the C position. He creates mismatches and often draws out big defenders from the lane, which would be exploited if the Raps had half decent wings and a PG who wasn't playing on wonky legs. Putting Bargnani alongside Val/Ed, who should become above average defenders, playing in a more effective team defense, will take much pressure off Bargnani defensively. I would rather have a PF who can score consistently and efficiently, with average D, than Amir who is good at everything but great at nothing. This kind of thinking is what makes people *hope* that Bargnani and Val/Ed can become the Raptors' version of Dirk & Chandler. I just dont' think Amir will ever be any better than he is now, which is backup PF.

I don't expect you to agree and am not trying to convince anybody. It's all just my opinion, based more on watching every game than worrying about stats in a vacuum.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                I meant that Val is a C, Ed & Amir are PF, but Bargnani is the only one who could play either positions, depending which other big is on the court with him. Ed & Amir are undersized to play C (except when both teams are playing small), so Bargnani's positional flexibility is an added pro in his favor.
                                The fact that Bargnani's a poor defender and rebounder completely negates the fact that he happens to have the size to play center. I mean, who cares if he has the size when he can't do the things necessary for the position to do?

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                If you look at C/PF as a 3-player rotation, rather than 4 (starter/backup at each position), then there would be plenty of time to spread between Val/Ed/Bargnani. Val is a C, Ed is a PF and Bargnani could spend time at both positions. That's another advantage he has over Amir, IMO, to be the #3 big on the team. He might be a little pricey for a #3 big, but when #1 & #2 are both on rookie-scale contracts and consider that in games when Bargnani is "on" he could likely play the most mintues of the 3 bigs, then I don't think it's too bad at all.
                                You miss the point, though. Shelling out minutes on paper SOUNDS like a great idea (stats in a vacuum, as you mention below), but who starts? And who plays crunchtime minutes? Bargnani has struggled when asked to come off the bench, and I can't see Davis being happy with that role.

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                Fans on here are split on Bargnani, so there's no point getting into an argument about him. I happen to think he can improve his scoring efficiency and with a little bit of a fire lit under his ass, can add a rebound or two to his stats. I also think that if the team defense improves under a decent defensive coach, that his average man-D and poor help-D wouldn't be nearly as magnfied as last year. Bargnani, Calderon and DeRozan were all essentially pilons last season - the constant penetration put way too much pressure on the team D and Bargnani's poor help-D was exploited.

I think he will still become an above average offensive player, especially at the C position. He creates mismatches and often draws out big defenders from the lane, which would be exploited if the Raps had half decent wings and a PG who wasn't playing on wonky legs. Putting Bargnani alongside Val/Ed, who should become above average defenders, playing in a more effective team defense, will take much pressure off Bargnani defensively. I would rather have a PF who can score consistently and efficiently, with average D, than Amir who is good at everything but great at nothing. This kind of thinking is what makes people *hope* that Bargnani and Val/Ed can become the Raptors' version of Dirk & Chandler. I just dont' think Amir will ever be any better than he is now, which is backup PF.

I don't expect you to agree and am not trying to convince anybody. It's all just my opinion, based more on watching every game than worrying about stats in a vacuum.
                                There is a small minority that still defend Bargnani. In fact, there are plenty of people that used to be fans that have given up on him.

And Valanciunas has shown to have many of the skills that Bargnani defenders tout as a reason to keep him. So if Valanciunas fils the role Bargnani apparently does, then why keep him? Especially with his contract and history of not improving on defense and rebounding?

As for Amir, RIGHT NOW he's more productive than Bargnani. And he's 2 years younger. And Amir doesn't NEED this fire lit under his ass like Bargnani apparently does. My question: Why on earth would you keep a guy who needs his ass constantly kicked in order to do what so many other players do naturally?
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X