Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just for fun:

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    So here we go. Here are a list of reasons to show why the argument that Bargnani's rebounding will improve simply by moving him to PF makes very little to no sense.

- There are far, far more above average rebounders at PF than at center, so Bargnani will have to compete with better rebounders to get more rebounds.
    The average TRR of PF's is 13,9%
    The average TRR of C's is 14,8%

hoopdata

They might be better rebounders, but they get less rebounds...

- Whether by circumstances or by design, Bargnani generally defended the least productive frontcourt player, which was most often the center. By moving him to PF and bringing in a veteran center, Bargnani will have to defend better players. That doesn't bode well for ANY of his stats.
    Long discussion, still not be a believer because all my posted research on this matter does not validate this statement and no other evidence but watching games has been presented. Will without hesitation accept the statement when there is proof. Just a comment on the comment for those that missed those discussions.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
      There are far, far more above average rebounders at PF than at center, so Bargnani will have to compete with better rebounders to get more rebounds.
      I hope the TRR stats Soft Euro posted are sufficient to prove centers generally rebound at a higher rate than PF. And the center include Bargnani.

While Bargnani will have a height advantage over most Pfs , most of his them will have a quickness advantage, so it kind of nullifies any advantage.
      I am not certain most PFs have a quickness advantage over Bargnani. In fact, I think the reverse may be true.

I don't think Bargnani's height or quickness advantages will matter at all if he's lost in a rotation or fails to box out his man as he did so often last year.
      Whether by circumstances or by design, Bargnani generally defended the least productive frontcourt player, which was most often the center. By moving him to PF and bringing in a veteran center, Bargnani will have to defend better players. That doesn't bode well for ANY of his stats.
      This sort of statement really bothers me.

If that argument is even remotely close to being true, why is Bargnani blamed when the other team's best big drops 25+ on the Raptors? Either Bargnani is guarding him and is in large part responsible for these facts or, as quoted text suggests, another big man (Reggie, Ed, or (oh no! not) Amir was guarding him and they were largely responsible for the output.

You can't have it both ways.
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Nov 27, 2011, 08:49 PM. Reason: profanity not to the benefit of the conversation

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
        I hope the TRR stats Soft Euro posted are sufficient to prove centers generally rebound at a higher rate than PF. And the center include Bargnani.
        You seem to be quite quick to accept the evidence Soft Euro presented. Did you even bother looking closely at the numbers? One thing that jumps out is that they've got Renaldo Blackman listed as a PF, and they've got him listed twice because he was on two different teams (which skews the numbers). Not surprisingly, he's got one of the lowest rebounding rates at the PF spot, because he's not a PF. And Rashard Lewis, who's really a SF but played a lot of PF for the Magic because of the offense they played, is also listed twice, and he's a horrible rebounder. Michael Beasley is also listed as a PF as is Brian Cardinal (who's more like a tweener).

I think you can definitely say that there are more poor rebounders at the PF position than the center position, but a lot of that are guys who are really SFs that sometimes play the PF position (Boris Diaw, for example).

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
        I am not certain most PFs have a quickness advantage over Bargnani. In fact, I think the reverse may be true.

I don't think Bargnani's height or quickness advantages will matter at all if he's lost in a rotation or fails to box out his man as he did so often last year.
        I agree with that. I was just trying to counterpoint an argument I'd heard before.

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
        This sort of statement really bothers me.

If that argument is even remotely close to being true, why is Bargnani blamed when the other team's best big drops 25+ on the Raptors? Either Bargnani is guarding him and is in large part responsible for these facts or, as quoted text suggests, another big man (Reggie, Ed, or (oh no! not) Amir was guarding him and they were largely responsible for the output.

You can't have it both ways.
        I don't recall Bargnani being blamed when the other team's best player scores 25+ points. Not from me, anyway. I blame Bargnani when I see him not rotating, giving his man too deep post position, not boxing out, turning his head on his man on defense etc. That's not to say Bargnani shouldn't shoulder a lot of the blame for the Raptors defensive woes. Have you ever played in a team with a guy who is inept at team defense? Even worse, a big man? It is incredibly difficult to overcome. I find I play worse defense because I'm always looking over my shoulder trying to make sure the guy isn't completely out of position. It's INCREDIBLY frustrating. That's why I often assume that guys who say Bargnani defensive woes can be covered up either don't play basketball, or are as clueless defensively as he is.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• I think that albeit the fact that PFs may be quicker than Bargs given his height advantage, he looks to have shed his 'bulk' that he originally gained to play Centre, and his performances in the Euro Nationals with Italy he looked very mobile and had no problem matching up with natural PF (though he does consider himself one) So it does look as though he is preparing himself for the more mobile requirments of PF.

Also , i know those Euro Natuonal comps are nowhere near as competitve and top notch as NBA, and Bargs rebounding numbers were not SKY high, but he did look more 'focused' and certainly put more effort into getting the rebounds he got.
          Im not sure whether the Bargnani that played in the Nationals will transfer well back to the NBA but he did look on form and played acceptably (albeit the opposing talent level)

I am and have always been a big Bargnani fan and have always been able to point his flaws, accept them and move on but it HAS been a long time coming for Raps fans to want to see his full 'potential' and this is most likely his last chance, if he gets one. I just hope he uses this chance and proves alot of people wrong

I hope i made sense haha!

Comment

• Imagine where this franchise would be if we gave each of our previous 1st round picks a window of 6 years to figure things out. We'd probably be looking at the world's first 0-82 team...

Comment

• some good Andrea news http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/28...ting-to-get-it
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• That is good news. I'd really love to be proven wrong by Bargnani but after 5 years........ everyone should know the rest by now.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  That is good news. I'd really love to be proven wrong by Bargnani but after 5 years........ everyone should know the rest by now.
                  I don't think he is going to come in and be a totally different player, but at least he has been working out with basketball trainers and in the Toronto area, can't be a bad thing.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Im not optimistic, but Ive never read/heard any news like this, that Bargnani is actually doing individual workouts with trainers.
                    This COULD be a good thing.

Comment

• I'll only get excited about this news once someone explains to me how individual workouts and draining 3s helps one improve their defensive awareness...

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        I'll only get excited about this news once someone explains to me how individual workouts and draining 3s helps one improve their defensive awareness...
                        HaHaHaHaHa

Love it.

Don't be such a sourpuss. Improving his defensive prowess is Casey's job.

Puffer

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          I'll only get excited about this news once someone explains to me how individual workouts and draining 3s helps one improve their defensive awareness...
                          I'll let Cesco know you asked.......

Comment

• The new and improved (and photoshopped) Bargnani, hahahaha

you guys like? hahahaha

Comment

• is that actually photoshopped? well at least he lost that fat maybe now he can actually average more than 6 rebounds.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                                is that actually photoshopped? well at least he lost that fat maybe now he can actually average more than 6 rebounds.
                                i saw it on his FB page. somebody actually commented in something in italian which included the word photoshopped. so i dont know if the commenter knew it was photoshopped or if he was asking as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X