Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WhatWhat wrote: View Post
    He's trying a lot harder but still isn't rebounding or defending very well. Meh.

Serious question here: How will Bargnani age, as far as basketball goes? I mean, by the time the team's worth a damn, he'll be about 30, while the rest of the team will be about 26 or so.
    Since his game relies on very little athleticism (leaping, speed), I don't see it being a worry.

Comment

• His game is not necessarily improving, but he's doing the right things now. His defense has definitely improved, he has been one of the better defenders on the team and albeit he has butterfingers and can't grab the rebound, it usually still falls to a teammate. But the 2 real improvements of Bargnani this year have been his mentality and his effort. After the Indiana game, reporters were "praising" him for his new found defense and effort he's putting in, and he ignored it. Continuously mentioning "the team" and how he played a really bad first half, saying he committed stupid fouls which he needs to avoid.

Anyways, the Raptors as a whole are a lot better than they were last year, on the court of course. But there's still a long way to go with this team, and I really hope Casey stays as Raptors coach long term.

Side, completely unrelated note. I feel really bad for the Timberwolves, they're 0-3 but have not lost by more than 4 points. I think all the doubters of Rubio have been proven wrong, I really wanted him on the Raptors.

Comment

He's trying a lot harder but still isn't rebounding or defending very well. Meh...
        So...you ARE watching the games, right? And you haven't noticed his rebounding numbers are up? And his help defense is effective 5 times out of 7? of course, this was after your post, but he completely outplayed Nowitzski tonight, at least partially because of his excellent defense.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
          So...you ARE watching the games, right? And you haven't noticed his rebounding numbers are up? And his help defense is effective 5 times out of 7? of course, this was after your post, but he completely outplayed Nowitzski tonight, at least partially because of his excellent defense.
          I mean, yeah, his rebounding and defense have been better (wait, actually I think rebounding has actually been the same, statistically)

I wouldn't say that he played "excellent" defense. One more shot (and I saw one in which Dirk was left WIDE OPEN) and Dirk's shooting 50% for the night. He still looked pretty damn lost on rotations. Overall, I'd put him slightly below average on the night. I'm not even trying to hate on the guy or anything, just saying what I'm seeing. Though, that stuff didn't really matter the way he was playing offensively; he was fantastic until the 4th quarter (I'm not blame him for the dropoff at that point either).

Comment

• JoePanini wrote: View Post
            Side, completely unrelated note. I feel really bad for the Timberwolves, they're 0-3 but have not lost by more than 4 points. I think all the doubters of Rubio have been proven wrong, I really wanted him on the Raptors.
            12 assist tonight!
            Let's go Raptors!

Comment

• He's playing a hell of a lot better. His defence has improved, and he is playing his ass off. His attitude is also better, he's actually showing some emotion out there. If he keeps playing this way there is no way we should trade him. Look at his numbers over the first 3 games.

Season Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
              11-12 TOR 3 3 34.7 0.532 0.400 0.667 0.3 5.3 5.7 5.7 0.3 1.0 2.3 1.7 21.3

He is playing like the best PF in the east. Yes he could grab at least 2 more rebounds a game. For his sake, I hope he does, that way he actually can gain some respect around the league (and here)

I think when he is paired with an actual centre (no offense Amir, it's not his position) it will be quite a tandem.

It will be nice to see this team with a good SF. I don't think we are that far away from being a good play off team. A good player from the draft, JV, and spend some money in free agency, and we are good to go.

Casey seems to be the answer!

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post

It will be nice to see this team with a good SF. I don't think we are that far away from being a good play off team. A good player from the draft, JV, and spend some money in free agency, and we are good to go.

Casey seems to be the answer!
                Barnes, Westbrook. And I totally agree, Casey is the answer.

Comment

I mean, yeah, his rebounding and defense have been better (wait, actually I think rebounding has actually been the same, statistically)

I wouldn't say that he played "excellent" defense. One more shot (and I saw one in which Dirk was left WIDE OPEN) and Dirk's shooting 50% for the night. He still looked pretty damn lost on rotations. Overall, I'd put him slightly below average on the night. I'm not even trying to hate on the guy or anything, just saying what I'm seeing. Though, that stuff didn't really matter the way he was playing offensively; he was fantastic until the 4th quarter (I'm not blame him for the dropoff at that point either).
                  I agree. He's been hot offensively and most importatly played within the flow of the game. Thats been a huge boost. He made some very nice passes, and was suprised in the Dallas game he only ended up with 1 assist (I thought he was getting 4 or 5 again) He's working much hard defensively and on the boards.... yet the results there are at best marginally better.

I've seen people talk about how good his defense has been, but I'm chalking that up to the low bar he's been given due to historically attrocious D. Through 3 game his D and Reb has been better, but its still been bad. Still seeing him flat footed, not challenging at the net and turning his back on plays.

Comment

• GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                    Through 3 game his D and Reb has been better, but its still been bad.

I think his help D has been much improved, and he has been hedging the pick and rolls well. Once he learns the system better I think you'll notice a big difference from last year. You have to keep in mind it was a shortened camp with a new system.

As for his rebounds per game, he is on par with the rest of the power forwards in the NBA.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                      I think his help D has been much improved, and he has been hedging the pick and rolls well. Once he learns the system better I think you'll notice a big difference from last year. You have to keep in mind it was a shortened camp with a new system.

As for his rebounds per game, he is on par with the rest of the power forwards in the NBA.
                      I'm not sure how you can say his rebounds per game is on par with the rest of the power forwards in the league. In 4 games (including the game today against Orlando) he has 24 rebounds. That is 6 per game, which is under what he averaged last year (6.2).

Per36 (not including today's game), he was ranked 100 among all forwards.

Total rebounds per game, he was ranked 45th.

Both these stats will go up since he accumulated 7 rebounds today, but I would not say he's on par with the rest of the power forwards.. that's a bold statement that the stats don't back you up on.

I am happy that Bargnani is putting in the effort on both sides, but in my opinion he is still very much a one dimensional player. Hopefully he continue to improve on this, but I'm still not convinced that he will change enough to warrant keeping him for another year (just my opinion of course).

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        I'm not sure how you can say his rebounds per game is on par with the rest of the power forwards in the league. In 4 games (including the game today against Orlando) he has 24 rebounds. That is 6 per game, which is under what he averaged last year (6.2).

Per36 (not including today's game), he was ranked 100 among all forwards.

Total rebounds per game, he was ranked 45th.

Both these stats will go up since he accumulated 7 rebounds today, but I would not say he's on par with the rest of the power forwards.. that's a bold statement that the stats don't back you up on.

I am happy that Bargnani is putting in the effort on both sides, but in my opinion he is still very much a one dimensional player. Hopefully he continue to improve on this, but I'm still not convinced that he will change enough to warrant keeping him for another year (just my opinion of course).
                        He averaged 5.2 last season.

The numbers are not showing on the stat sheet but there is a huge difference in Bargnani rebounding efforts. If you watch him off the ball, he is boxing out so while he may not get the ball, at least his man isn't which is a huge difference than the past. Also, he is actually crashing the boards, i.e. he is running to the backboard/rim on shots, that did not happen in the past. Finally, and I do not mean this to be an excuse but, against Dallas I saw at least 3 rebounds that he could have had but a teammate took it and in the game versus Orlando this evening there were 2 rebounds that a teammate took it - if the teammate gives up the ball to Andrea he has 9/10 rebounds the last 2 games.

If I am forever tarred and feathered as a Bargnani fanboy, so be it, but he is putting the work in and thus far, very early in the season, the results are evident in watching the games - if not in the box score.

Whether he is here long term or not this is only good for the Raptors. If (and a big IF at that) he can continue the effort and continue to improve (and that is vital because while he is improved he still needs more improvement) he is worth keeping in my opinion and if he is not kept his trade value will only rise.

I'm glad to see my pre-season rooting for him was all for not. I hope he keeps it going.

Comment

• Today he was the same basically: Godly offensively, terrible defensively (Anderson went off for like 24 on 16 shots), mediocre on the boards... A bit disappointed that he only got 3 boards in the 2nd half.

I seriously doubt that he can keep up this offensive production though, he needs help...and probably won't get it lol.

He's been our best player so far though. He's actually trying pretty hard now.

Comment

...terrible defensively
                            So 28 points, 7 rebounds, one steal and 3 assists with 2 turnovers. Terrible defensively? Are you looking to make stuff up to denigrate AB's game? Anderson had 5 boards. He scored 23 on 16 attempts because he hit 5 of 8 three's. Do you want AB on the perimeter guarding 3 pt attemnts or grabbing rebounds?

Comment

Today he was the same basically: Godly offensively, terrible defensively (Anderson went off for like 24 on 16 shots), mediocre on the boards... A bit disappointed that he only got 3 boards in the 2nd half.

I seriously doubt that he can keep up this offensive production though, he needs help...and probably won't get it lol.

He's been our best player so far though. He's actually trying pretty hard now.
                              Serious question, not trying to be a d!ck: Did you watch the game or did you look at the box score?

ANderson has been going off against just about everyone. 4 of his 5 games have been plus 20 points (23, 22, 25, and 24 tonight). I can recall 2 shots where Bargnani definitely messed up. One was clearly due to fatigue and the other was just stupid. Bargnani was doing what he was asked to do tonight but a combination of poor Raptor rotations and good Magic ball movement gave him the shots which he can knock down. He is now filling in Rashard Lewis' role which is what the Magic/SVG's game plan with Howard is: inside-out, ball rotatation, 3pt shots.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                Serious question, not trying to be a d!ck: Did you watch the game or did you look at the box score?
                                +1

I am officially Matt52's new fanboy

Comment

Working...
                                X