Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick wrote: View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe when Gasol signed with the Lakers his defence wasn't that much better then Barg's is now.
    I'm not sure where this idea came from that Gasol was a poor defender in Memphis. He wasn't. Gasol was a half decent defender and pretty good team defender, but his biggest weakness was that he was often overpowered defending against the big centers in the league, playing that position with Memphis.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
      I'm not sure where this idea came from that Gasol was a poor defender in Memphis. He wasn't. Gasol was a half decent defender and pretty good team defender, but his biggest weakness was that he was often overpowered defending against the big centers in the league, playing that position with Memphis.
      There's no way you would be saying that had he stayed in Memphis. We both know that Gasols name would never, ever be in the conversation of a defensive big man if he didn't go to L.A. Memphis traded him for a bag of mixed nuts because he wasn't known as a premier big man around the league. What happened? Due to "good coaching" Gasol has become the best pf in the league. I would agree that most players in the league have the potential to play good defense, the two reason this potential is never met:

1) Coaching
      2) Bad attitude

Comment

There's no way you would be saying that had he stayed in Memphis. We both know that Gasols name would never, ever be in the conversation of a defensive big man if he didn't go to L.A. Memphis traded him for a bag of mixed nuts because he wasn't known as a premier big man around the league. What happened? Due to "good coaching" Gasol has become the best pf in the league. I would agree that most players in the league have the potential to play good defense, the two reason this potential is never met:

1) Coaching
        2) Bad attitude
        Mixed nuts is true: Some delightful macadamias and cashews

1. They got Marc Gasol
        2. They got Kwame's huge expiring contract which they turned into Zach Randolph

So I would say trading P. Gasol for M. Gasol and Z. Randolph worked out pretty good for both the Lakers and the Grizzlies.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

• Buddahfan wrote: View Post

1. They got Marc Gasol

So I would say trading P. Gasol for M. Gasol and Z. Randolph worked out pretty good for both the Lakers and the Grizzlies.
          If Marc develops a post game like Pau, then I'd take Marc over Pau any day. Thing is that he won't he's not as "silky" as Pau. But both great, both very different. But calling Marc nothing is like calling Bargnani primary school basketball player.

Comment

• JoePanini wrote: View Post
            If Marc develops a post game like Pau, then I'd take Marc over Pau any day. Thing is that he won't he's not as "silky" as Pau. But both great, both very different. But calling Marc nothing is like calling Bargnani primary school basketball player.
            I would rather the Raptors have Marc than Andrea!
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I wouldn't HAHA. This is perfect situation for me okay! I've been a supporter of the Raps since 95' and I'm Italian so I'm happy Bargs plays here! HAHA. But I'd actually prefer Bargnani, he spreads the floor, with Marc down low, the YGZ will have trouble finding space in the paint... But both, together and Bargs at the 4.

Comment

1. They got Marc Gasol

I would say it worked out better for LA (cough cough) repeat champions. Has Memphis made the playoffs since? Ya it was a good trade though.

Comment

I wouldn't HAHA. This is perfect situation for me okay! I've been a supporter of the Raps since 95' and I'm Italian so I'm happy Bargs plays here! HAHA. But I'd actually prefer Bargnani, he spreads the floor, with Marc down low, the YGZ will have trouble finding space in the paint... But both, together and Bargs at the 4.
                  I hear ya about spreading the floor. However, I am still looking forward to see what Davis and Johnson can do paired up with either Kleiza or Weems.

Comment

I hear ya about spreading the floor. However, I am still looking forward to see what Davis and Johnson can do paired up with either Kleiza or Weems.
                    I am actually quite excited by our roster this year. Plus I think that Kleiza can help Bargnani develop his game. Because Kleiza was a smaller version of Bargnani when he first started playing pro ball in Europe. And look at him now. Denver definitely did him good, very good.

Comment

Laughable. Do you understand what 7 foot centre who can stroke threes does to offences? Why the hell are Raptors fans so against Andrea?! Alls I keep hearing "I don't want him because he dosn't play defence." Get real! What players on the Raps did play defence????????? But ya lets single out Bargs, good strategy! You guys are all star basketball fans (huge thumb down)

Comment

How do you expect we beat the better teams in the league? I can ASSURE you, Iso isn't the answer. Spreading the floor is how you utilize guys like Bosa, Weems, Derozan. They are fast, and they slash!

Comment

Laughable. Do you understand what 7 foot centre who can stroke threes does to offences? Why the hell are Raptors fans so against Andrea?! Alls I keep hearing "I don't want him because he dosn't play defence." Get real! What players on the Raps did play defence????????? But ya lets single out Bargs, good strategy! You guys are all star basketball fans (huge thumb down)
                          I don't think Buddha hates Bargs, and he didn't mention hating him. I'm one of Bargs biggest fans and I think that was just his opinion... He'd take Gasol over Bargs...

Comment

I am actually quite excited by our roster this year. Plus I think that Kleiza can help Bargnani develop his game. Because Kleiza was a smaller version of Bargnani when he first started playing pro ball in Europe. And look at him now. Denver definitely did him good, very good.
                            The one thing about Bargnani's defense that was positive last season was his gradual improvement in his one on one defense.

I could be wrong but I think last season was his first NBA season playing almost exclusively at the center position. He has the size and skill to be a pretty good one on one NBA center on defense. However, he showed me very little last season in terms of his team defense. He did have a couple of good rebounding games though I am not convinced that he will ever be a good rebounder.

However I think for Bargnani's team defense not to be a real liability the Raptors would have to play him with four pretty to very good defenders. I don't think that the Raptors will have those four other guys defensive wise in 10-11.

Comment

The one thing about Bargnani's defense that was positive last season was his gradual improvement in his one on one defense.

I could be wrong but I think last season was his first NBA season playing almost exclusively at the center position. He has the size and skill to be a pretty good one on one NBA center on defense. However, he showed me very little last season in terms of his team defense. He did have a couple of good rebounding games though I am not convinced that he will ever be a good rebounder.

However I think for Bargnani's team defense not to be a real liability the Raptors would have to play him with four pretty to very good defenders. I don't think that the Raptors will have those four other guys defensive wise in 10-11.
                              Yep, 2 seasons ago he kept on switching from the 5 to 4 back to 5 and then 3 LOL. But yeah, I was surprised by how strong he got over the summer. He defended the post real well, but that's where his defence ends. He can defend the post, block little guys trying to layup but yeah, his team defence is killing us. But I hope that will improve over time Yeah, I remember that game towards the end of the season where he had more rebounds than points! HAHA. That was incredible, literally I was like WTF?! Yeah, but he's not a good rebounder. He might become decent (as in not missing rebounds like he did last year so many times, and actually timing it). I think he can average maybe 7 rebounds, maybe if he plays 40 minutes a game even 8 rebounds...

Comment

I don't think Buddha hates Bargs, and he didn't mention hating him. I'm one of Bargs biggest fans and I think that was just his opinion... He'd take Gasol over Bargs...
                                Didn't say he hated him. I agree with his last segment also, but I think the Raps in general had bad team defence and not just Bargs. He can fill it up with the Best big men in the league, with CB4 gone now, the team dynamics are going to change immensely. Its not even bball knowledge, its just general logic that Bargs is going to have a better year. Thats why I don't get why people are writing him off without seeing what the new Raps product looks like. I agree with Buddahfan, his defence (especially one on one) has gotten better every year. I saw him stand and block Dwight Howard last year when he was trying to cram it. It was a clean block. Of course he wasn't doing this all the time, but how many other centres around the league have the potential (strength) to stand block Howard? He's still got lots of room to grow, but this is the perfect situation for him. Defensive big men aren't a rarity, but to have a centre with a pure stroke like Bargs is.

Comment

Working...
                                X