Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How The NBA Schedule Is Made

This info comes from a great NBA resource: NBAstuffer.com

Matt Winick, who has been the architect of the NBA schedule for more than 20 seasons, is the NBA's vice president of scheduling and game operations. Winick starts it in February. 6 months later, in first week of August, the final schedule is completed.

According to Matt Winick, the NBA sets the league schedule to accomplish both competitive balance and a reduction of costs. The goal of the NBA schedule, as it is constructed, is to be efficient from a competitive standpoint with an indirect consideration of travel costs.

Matt Winick has a complicated system that assigns a point value to each date or series of dates a team makes available. The point system rewards a team for making several consecutive dates available instead of insisting on a particular date. Each time team must amass at least 50 points.

Factors that have an impact on setting NBA schedule can be summarized as follows:

1. NBA SCHEDULING FORMULA

Each team have to play:
    • 4 games against the other 4 division opponents, [16 games]
    • 4 games against 6 (out-of-division) conference opponents, [24 games]
    • 3 games against the remaining 4 conference teams, [12 games]
    • 2 games against teams in the opposing conference, [30 games]
    • A five year rotation determines which out-of-division conference teams are played only 3 times.

2. COURT AVAILABILITY

All teams, about a month before the end of the preceding regular season, have to submit to the NBA office a list of:
    • At least 50 dates on which their home court will be available,
    • 4 Mondays,
    • 4 Thursdays (to help TNT plan its telecasts).

3. OFFICIAL BREAKS (on which no games are played)

Christmas eve,
    The all-star game,
    NCAA championship game.

4. CONFLICTS

The conflicts such as NHL games on the same court have to be resolved.

5. BROADCASTERS

Games can be moved to satisfy the NBA's TV partners (ABC, ESPN and TNT). Game times can be tweaked.
    RR OG

Items impacting the NBA schedule from above is BS in that it neglects to mention the most important factor in designing the NBA schedule.

The schedule is first and foremost set to accommodate TV schedules and ratings, period. Maybe all that stuff he is talking about comes after that but the TV schedule comes first based upon what they think people will want to watch and what TV time slots are available, period. In fact game times are modified to accommodate TV schedules. Anyone who knows anything about the NBA can tell you that.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

blame the Leafs.

Comment

Interesting how the schedule is made to help TNT

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
          Interesting how the schedule is made to help TNT
          yea but come on admit it, sometimes the halftime show on tnt is better than the actual game

Comment

Working...
          X