• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerome Williams Hits The Nail On The Head

Jerome Williams on the fan 590 - CLICK HERE

Key Points During The Interview
    • Bowowowowowow!
    • Great experience playing in Toronto. He embraced the city and they embraced him back.
    • Toronto is a hard working city and they expect the same from their sports stars.
    • He came with the mentality that he didn't care where he played, if they were going to pay him that kind of money he was going to do the best job he could. Playing in the NBA you have a social responsibility to the city, organization and ultimately the fans.
    • He has a disconnect with the athlete celebrity part of it because the only reason they're in that position is because people wanted to pay to see them play.
    • The majority of basketball players today have a huge amount of money from contracts and endorsements. Even a lot more than he saw when he was in the league not too long ago.
    • Every major company who endorses via the NBA has it's Canadian base set up in Toronto and so it's a huge opportunity for guys who maybe couldn't land endorsement deals in smaller markets. Most who play in Toronto have a huge endorsement advantage over those in the states because guys in the states are competing against 360+ players where as in Canada you're battling with 15 guys, which isn't a battle because there are far more companies than players. There may be 30 elite sports athletes in Canada to compete with for endorsement deals where as the states has thousands. If you don't know that then you don't understand the professional sports business. Vince Carter had Pepsi, he had Coke. Vince Carter had Nike, he had Rebok.
    • The JYD project gives back to the community and is there to help and inspire kids to excel and do right. It started in Toronto. He's still giving back a lot, showing kids to do the right thing and live the right life. To improve. The JYD project is about building champions and changing lives.
    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Aug 5, 2010, 01:54 PM.

He was always my favorite all-time Raptors player until the Young Gunz came along.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

wow, could we love jyd anymore?
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Hmmmm, maybe more of you could vote for him.

Comment

i don't know if i had to be entirely honest on the two all time favourite raptors based on just about everything positive it would prolly end up being a tie between mo pete and jyd.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Hmmmm, maybe more of you could vote for him.
            I voted for him
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Still my favorite behind Mo-Pete.

The young gunz haven't shown anything thus far to top the heart and hard work JYD put into this organization. Hopefully in a few years, the order will change up!

Comment

Loved Dell Curry.
                "Winning isn't every thing, it's the only thing."

Comment

He may be the best person to wear the Raptors jeresy but he is not my favourite Raptors player of all time. It kind of depends what the criteria is.
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

JYD's awesome, I'm going to check out that interview later when I get a bit more time.. Seems like he's making a lot of valid points, and the JYD project is amazing.. Gotta love guys like that, would always give it his all, a real fan favorite.. Only wish there were more guys like him around the league today.

Comment

Gotta love JYD, I also voted for him. He's got the perfect attitude for any professional athlete.

Comment

I remember there was some squawking about Williams around his self-promotion (involving his brother if I remember) and if a role-player deserved the kind of contract he landed. Not taking anything away from him though, he played hard in a Rudy kind of way.

My favourite player would definitely be a Williams. Alvin though, not Jerome. : )

Comment

If every professional athlete appreciated the tremendous gift they have been blessed with the way JYD does than sports as we know it would be drastically different.

Comment

ALLLLLVVVVIIIINNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha just watching alvin and the chimpmunks with my son. but alvin and t-mac were my favs
                            No Dissrespect...
                            With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.. You hear me BC?

Comment

Copywryter wrote: View Post
                              I remember there was some squawking about Williams around his self-promotion (involving his brother if I remember) and if a role-player deserved the kind of contract he landed. Not taking anything away from him though, he played hard in a Rudy kind of way.

My favourite player would definitely be a Williams. Alvin though, not Jerome. : )
                              Jerome's contract wasn't as big as Amir's and Amir's situation is similar to Jerome's where he's getting paid because of hard work and potential.

Comment

Working...
                              X