Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo Alabi: "NBA And Dollars Won‘t Change Me"

Source - The Punch

Solo is not the first Nigerian to make it to the lucrative American basketball league. Hakeem Olajuwon threw the floodgate open in 1984 when he was drafted by Houston Rockets as the first overall pick. Since then, there has been Julius Nwosu, Obinna Ekezie, Olumide Oyedeji and a long list of Nigerians who chose to identify with other countries. The Nigerians can be counted easily but it is far more tasking when the counting process is shifted to Americans and those from Europe. While many players from the league have remained role models even after their retirement, some other players have either gone bankrupt on retirement or have simply become unmanageable as their attitude changed with the huge inflow of cash and endorsements.

”I am very conscious of that; I am not going to forget where I started from or how I got into the NBA. I will keep my head cool. I will remain the same Solo from Zaria. I am still the same person that left here from the Big Man Camp and I pray to remain the same. NBA and dollars won‘t change me. I was born and bred in Nigeria so I can‘t forget what it means to hustle so quickly,” Solomon told our correspondent.

Solomon‘s story should pass as one from grass to riches. His story of the 2004 Big Man Camp narrated to the media in course of time in America has given many a clear picture of what many African players have to surmount to enter the National Basketball Association League. His first authentic canvass shoes story explains it all.

Great article! A must read.
    RR OG

Interesting piece on him. Thanks for posting.

Once curious note. I wonder why the author of the article did not talk about Alabi's time with the Florida State Seminoles who led the NCAA last season in as I recall fewest points allowed per game? Alabi played for them for three seasons. Surely you would think that a competent writer would at least spend some time writing about Alabi's time there given that he did play there for three season. Seems weird to me. Also the writer took the time to comment on Alabi's high school basketball accomplishments in FL yet totally ignored his college career. Weird.

Alabi's FSU stats

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=36130

His advanced stats at FSU here

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/pla.../solomon-alabi
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

If Solo goes to D-League I give him 2-3 years before he becomes our true center...Im so stoked to have this guy on the roster

Comment

seems down to earth
        ya dun noe

Comment

Great story. I wish him well and hopefully he can grow into the center the Raptors need.

Comment

Hakeem is a pretty good role model to feed off from....personally and the game. Wonder if he can get some one-on-one sessions with him. I understand though that Dream lives in Jordan (he is a devout muslim and does much charity work) mostly so that would be problematic.

Comment

Came across a more generalized article on African players in the NBA..........

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/10/sp...10nba.html?hpw

Comment

Working...
              X