Jarrett Jack Or Jose Calderon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jarrett Jack Or Jose Calderon?

Really, I was just thinking. I know most would pick Jack to start at point, with Calderon off the bench. But honestly, I'm against that. Yes, Calderon has a huge crazy contract, yes he is not consistent, yes he is not THAT good. But, Jack? Really? At least Calderon can see the court, and he is a great passer. Jack isn't. Now that we have DeRozan, Weems, Bargnani all as offensive players, they need a guy to pass the ball, see the court. That is what Calderon is great at, giving the ball up. Giving it to the best guy, with the best shot. Jack is "better", but Jack is more of a shooting point, and we don't need that now. We need Bargnani to get the ball, we need DeRozan and Weems to be flying for Alley-Oops, or for free mid-range jumpers. I think, we should not judge the contract, but just put Jack next to Calderon, and see what the needs of this team is, and who would fit in with our new system the best.

Just my opinion.

Calderon started the last 17 games of last season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/...iRaIDcKVdBPaB4
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

What's Calderon's huge crazy contract have to do with it? And Calderon is one of the most consistent players on the Raptors atm.

The reasoning used for Jack starting over Calderon is defense. But really, Jack didn't fair much better defensively last season either. Jack's Defensive Rating was 115 while Calderon's was 116. Over the course of their career? They both average a defensive rating of 112. Jack's best Defensive Rating was 110 in his last year in Portland, where he played 27 mpg and started 16. Jose's best Defensive Rating was 108 in his second year in Toronto where he averaged 21 mpg and started 11. Comparatively, Jameer Nelson and Russel Westbrook posted 106 Defensive Ratings, while Rondo had 102. In my opinion a 108 rating should suffice a PG.

Some may attribute Jack's poor defensive ratings to him being played at the off-guard position. If that's the case, then you can't make the argument that Jack is a better fit than Calderon because he can play the 2-guard at times.

My point is, the problem was team defense, not PG defense. If you're going to select a starting PG for next season, you do it based on offense because the defense of both players while playing on the same team was horrendous anyway. If we look at offense, last season was Jack's best offensive season in the NBA, and he still wasn't better than Jose Calderon. That's based on a number of stats and what several people saw on the court. Jack's season can also be attributed to the fact that the team as a whole was top 5 in the league on offense. Jose has consistently been a well above average offensive player (especially after his rookie season).

That's why you start Jose Calderon instead of Jarret Jack. Not because of flash names like "shooting point" and assuming that Jack can't see the court (really, he can).

Comment

He did have a few good games I guess... :S I still think we should give him a chance till Christmas, could maybe even inflate his numbers and help for a trade... :/

Comment

thanks Marz, you are right. About the contract, many want him out because of his huge contract, but I still think he can be useful to the team... And I really dislike Jack, watched him play... I don't know why, was trying to find reasons I guess. You are clearly better informed and probably more knowledgeable about basketball and the Raps. I'm new here Hi

Comment

The problem isnt that he is bad, but he 1, dosnt work with this team, i could see him being amazing on a team that needs his type of play like a memphis. The reason people are upset is because of his contract, he is almost un moveable. I think that on this team right now, jarrett jack should be the starter, because he likes to push the offence, calderon dosnt. Calderon might be good this year with out bosh, and he will have more options coming down the floor, calderon is a great passer and i think that it could work on this team right now because when he comes down the floor, and looks left and right, he sees options, its not all pick and roll with bosh, or dump it in to bosh and wait for him to draw a double. I am excited to see how calderon can work with this offence because he may do well with it, we need to give him a bit of a chance, even though if we had moved him we could have gotten a chandler, hibbert, and even granger (haha).

Interesting Post

RAW

Comment

Although I'm in favour of Jose starting too, I have to disagree with Jack not being able to see the floor.
              If you can't see the floor, you can't do this.
              There wasn't even an assist per game difference in Jose and Jack's numbers last season, so I don't know where people get the idea Jack can't pass.

Comment

both terrific backups, neither great starters. sign me up for the calderon starts camp though.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                  What's Calderon's huge crazy contract have to do with it? And Calderon is one of the most consistent players on the Raptors atm.

The reasoning used for Jack starting over Calderon is defense. But really, Jack didn't fair much better defensively last season either. Jack's Defensive Rating was 115 while Calderon's was 116. Over the course of their career? They both average a defensive rating of 112. Jack's best Defensive Rating was 110 in his last year in Portland, where he played 27 mpg and started 16. Jose's best Defensive Rating was 108 in his second year in Toronto where he averaged 21 mpg and started 11. Comparatively, Jameer Nelson and Russel Westbrook posted 106 Defensive Ratings, while Rondo had 102. In my opinion a 108 rating should suffice a PG.

Some may attribute Jack's poor defensive ratings to him being played at the off-guard position. If that's the case, then you can't make the argument that Jack is a better fit than Calderon because he can play the 2-guard at times.

My point is, the problem was team defense, not PG defense. If you're going to select a starting PG for next season, you do it based on offense because the defense of both players while playing on the same team was horrendous anyway. If we look at offense, last season was Jack's best offensive season in the NBA, and he still wasn't better than Jose Calderon. That's based on a number of stats and what several people saw on the court. Jack's season can also be attributed to the fact that the team as a whole was top 5 in the league on offense. Jose has consistently been a well above average offensive player (especially after his rookie season).

That's why you start Jose Calderon instead of Jarret Jack. Not because of flash names like "shooting point" and assuming that Jack can't see the court (really, he can).
                  +10
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I would choose Jack over Jose simply because he gives more grit to the starting lineup. Jack possesses a better defensive game. He's willing to take contact, look at how many charges he took last year. On offense, Jack fits in better too. I would rather have a starting pg who drives and creates for other guys, an aggressor, rather then a guy who is simply a passer/shooter. A starting lineup of: Jack-Weems-Deroz-Kleiza-Bargs is easliest the most underated starting lineup in the league because I think that D-Rex and Weems are going to be the biggest surprises of the offseason. I really like the combo of Kleiza/Bargs as well. When you look at the second string: Jose-Bosa-Belli-Amir-Anderson the Raps actually stand pretty solid as a whole, and are allot deeper then many teams. ESPN has us ranked as last in the East, so be it. It just gives these young guys who have valleys of motivation even more drive, awesome!

Comment

Well for now, I'm just happy we don't have TJ Ford. At least we have decent point guards. Indiana have a big problem there HAHA. Let's see what surprises Colangelo decides to throw at us...

Comment

T-Mac to Detroit:
                        http://www.nbadaily.net/wiretaps.cfm?id=688

Maybe they'd take one of our PG's? I know Colangelo wants to unload Jose, but if a deal of Tayshaun Prince for Jarrett Jack and Reggie was offered ... looks pretty good for next season.
                        The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

I would not do that trade. Then when do Weems and Kleiza come in the rotation? Plus we would be missing point guards... But yeah, offloading Reggie, THAT IS UNDERRATED.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                            T-Mac to Detroit:
                            http://www.nbadaily.net/wiretaps.cfm?id=688

Maybe they'd take one of our PG's? I know Colangelo wants to unload Jose, but if a deal of Tayshaun Prince for Jarrett Jack and Reggie was offered ... looks pretty good for next season.
                            T-Mac can't be traded until Dec 15th. That is a long way off and a lot can happen on the court between Opening night and Dec 15th.

Comment

Could Calderon average 13 and 9 again? :')

Comment

Working...
                              X