Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Linas Kleiza Be Our New "Jorge Garbojosa"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Linas Kleiza Be Our New "Jorge Garbojosa"?

It seems a lot of people felt that Jorge Garbojosa brought several intangibles to the Raptors that helped them win games. I'm not here to over-state Jorge's accomplishments, but the main difference between our 47 win season and the next one was Garbo.

Kleiza comes in at a similar build to Garbo. He also has a similar contract. And looking at stats, he's a little better offensively than defensively. What it comes down to, though, is that Kleiza could be playing a similar role to Garbo this season. Like Garbo, we won't be relying on Kleiza's offense, asking him only to hit the open shot to keep the defense honest. And like Garbo, Kleiza is advertised to bring some grit with his play.

Do you think Kleiza can bring the intangibles that Garbojosa brought? I'm not saying we'll win 47 games, but I think it's something we've been missing for quite a while.

No, they are not even close in their style. Jorge was known for his rebounding, his defense and Kleiza based on the news that comes from Denver is NOT.

Comment

Garbo was not known for his rebounding. He was known for his defense. In fact, Kleiza is a better rebounder.

However, I was very clear in my question to ask if Kleiza can bring the INTANGIBLES that Jorge brought. The discussion is not as cut and dry as looking at some per36 minute stats and saying no.

Comment

I think he could. But Kleiza is alot better. He can shoot better and rebound better. And Kleiza is quicker and more versatile, so if we have to put it in "tit for tat" kinda manner, then I guess we're onto a 47 win season HAHA. Kleiza is good though. He played well in Greece last year. Nearly 20 ppg. And in europe, that is alot. I watch European basketball, it did him good. European basketball is more about teamwork and "next play" mentality. There aren't star players, and most players play about 20-25 minutes maximum. So, I think he will serve us well. Definitely a great addition.

Comment

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Even if Kleiza brought those intangibles, what difference does it make?

If this is a 20-25 win team, then Kleiza can provide intangibles that causes the team to win.. 27 games? What's the point?
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

Having glue guys that bring intangibles is an incredible asset to have. It may not help us this season, but it would definitely help us long term.

Comment

@ebrian 20-25 WINS?! WE ARE NOT THE CAVS OR THE TIMBERWOLVES. WE MIGHT NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS BUT 25 WINS? C'MON!

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Even if Kleiza brought those intangibles, what difference does it make?

If this is a 20-25 win team, then Kleiza can provide intangibles that causes the team to win.. 27 games? What's the point?
                the difference being kleiza is signed to a 4 year contract not a one.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

20-25 wins isn't that crazy. Remember we've lost roughly 26pts and 14/15 rebs a game with the subtraction of Hedo and Bosh. Replacing that scoring and rebounding with the young gunz and Kleiza/Barbosa isn't equal value. We might have better chemistry, and that could translate to wins, and there is a chance we could be a good team, however that's a whole lot of maybe's especially given that we have no 'superstar' or even an 'all-star' on our team. I haven't heard of too many teams pulling our winning season's without any of those qualities. So when you evaluate the situation is it really so crazy to 20-25 wins, I don't think so.

Lastly, I'm hoping we come out as one of the great surprises of this upcoming season, but I'm also tired of being a Raps homer so I've chosen to be a tad more realistic with my expectations.
                  i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

We have to stop counting stats, we didn't lose 25 points and 15 rebounds. We lost a great player. But now, we can improve on our new core. And the players can prove themselves, get the ball more and grow in confidence. Players will step up this year, and I think that as we have depth aswell, we can win nearly 40 games. I don't feel like we have a team like the Cavs. We have more talent AND youth. So even without Bosh, I think we can still beat half of the teams in the NBA.

Comment

no we lost a good player not a great.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

24 points and 11 rebounds is better than good.

Comment

ESPN has us at 27 wins and they have historically underestimated our teams by a min. of 5 games. Also, we've only lost one significant player...I digress.

Sure why can't Kleiza be our new Garbo? He appears to have the toughness, agility, etc., It will really depend what his BBall IQ is.

Comment

pillowmint wrote: View Post
                            20-25 wins isn't that crazy. Remember we've lost roughly 26pts and 14/15 rebs a game with the subtraction of Hedo and Bosh.
                            LOL. i love that if you subtract bosh, there's only 2 pts and 3 rebs left to credit to hedo. thats awesome

Comment

@heinz57 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Working...
                              X