• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors CNNSI's Off-Season Grade: D

Ugh

WHAT WENT RIGHT
    Cut bait with Hedo
    Hedo Turkoglu's one-year stay was an unmitigated disaster, with the veteran forward averaging a six-year low in points (11.3) and rankling management with his attitude and lifestyle. Toronto not only escaped the final four years and $44 million of Turkoglu's contract in a trade with Phoenix but also picked up a quality role player in Leandro Barbosa (pictured), a former Sixth Man Award winner who should bolster the bench.

The replacements
    First-round pick Ed Davis and former Nuggets forward Linas Kleiza won't remind anyone of Chris Bosh, but Davis is the rugged rebounding type who should complement the finesse game of Andrea Bargnani, while Kleiza led Greek team Olympiacos in scoring last season.

WHAT WENT WRONG
    Bosh bolted

Overcompensating
    Toronto elected to spend all the money earmarked for Bosh on other players: It gave Kleiza
    $18.4 million (not too bad) and Amir Johnson $34 million (really bad), on top of last year's $50 million extension for Bargnani that kicks in this season. The Raptors are hitching their wagons to some very questionable players.

The trade that wasn't
    Michael Jordan's reported cold feet cost the Raps an opportunity to pick up two skilled frontcourt players (Boris Diaw, Tyson Chandler) while dumping a big salary (Jose Calderon) on the Bobcats.

BOTTOM LINE
    The Raptors better hope that a Bargnani-Johnson-Davis frontcourt blossoms.
    Source - Click here

Can't really say I can argue with that.

Comment

If these so called pundits want to criticize a contract they should at least get the amount correct.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Bosh's actual not replaceable value, by the current roster, to the Raptors winning has been grossly and significantly overstated by all these pundits who are bashing the Raptors.

Of course none of them will issue retractions when they are proven dead wrong in 10-11.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I thought they had a great off season. They dumped the two player's least likely so succeed in their current environment while getting younger, cheaper, stockpiling draft picks and creating roster openings for thier young player's to blossom. They added depth at ever position other than Center and nearly came away with a steal. Considering they lost thier best player as a result of an unprecedented collusion of talent, I'd say they did a pretty good job of rebounding and rebuilding for the future.

Short of blackmailing Bosh to go to Houston and trapping Turk in a Russian Sauna I can't really see many other moves that BC could have done to right the ship. As far as roster moves I think he did an admirable job, as far as re-establishing credibility and legitimacy in the franchise brand well that is another story.

Comment

They did have a solid off-season but they're going to take a step back in terms of wins and losses. Just look at it as they're backing up to get a bigger head of steam to climb further than they've climbed before.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              They did have a solid off-season but they're going to take a step back in terms of wins and losses. Just look at it as they're backing up to get a bigger head of steam to climb further than they've climbed before.
              You are so cock sure my friend about the Raptors winning fewer games in 10-11.

A lot more so than I am about them not.

We shall see.

Comment

"Overcompensating
                Toronto elected to spend all the money earmarked for Bosh on other players: It gave Kleiza
                $18.4 million (not too bad) and Amir Johnson $34 million (really bad), on top of last year's $50 million extension for Bargnani that kicks in this season. The Raptors are hitching their wagons to some very questionable players."
                Neither player is grossly overpayed. Plus Johnson's contract is wrong its 30 million not 34 million. Don't take advice by someone who has the wrong facts.

Comment

It was first reported as $34M. I actually thought it was $34M as I never read an article correcting this. Getting the number wrong by that much doesn't discredit the article. There are sources which validate his numbers even if the sources are wrong. Just saying.

Comment

The raptors added some players they have trust in and lost players they were losing the faith or the patience. Bottom line: They've lost their 2 most talented player, so i agree with what has been written in most of the media about this offseason. Last year, hopes were based on Hedo and CB4, this year it's DeRozan, Weems and Johnson. Doesn't sound like an upgrade to me.

Comment

It was first reported as $34M. I actually thought it was $34M as I never read an article correcting this. Getting the number wrong by that much doesn't discredit the article. There are sources which validate his numbers even if the sources are wrong. Just saying.
                      Lol can't get around the fact that Amir might be the 2nd PF coming off the bench in the near future. I can't see Andrea at the 5 for the future and neither can BC as he tried to trade for Chandler. Andrea at the 4 moves Ed Davis as a permanent backup to Bargnani leaving Amir to back Davis up at the cost of 7 million a year. What a horrible contract whether its 30 mill or 34 mill.

Comment

Let's keep in mind, also, that if Amir Johnson reaches the goals laid out by the incentives in his contract, it is $34M. However as they stand right now they are unlikely, and therefore do not count against the cap.

Comment

Working...
                        X