Raptors Player Power Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tbihis wrote: View Post
    Sorry Buddha, i admire Amir's game too, but he's a poor man's Amare. Without a good PG to feed him inside passes, he probably wont be able to do as much.

Except play defense, hustle and crash the offensive boards far more than Amare ever has.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
      Sorry Buddha, i admire Amir's game too, but he's a poor man's Amare. Without a good PG to feed him inside passes, he probably wont be able to do as much. Amir's face up game is a bit questionable and he is good weakside shot blocker, meaning offensive players dont usually see him coming when they get their shots blocked. Davis on the other hand has a very good face up game, both on offense and defense. He can drive to the basket and can block opponents face up.

Im not even sure if Triano will start Amir. Im betting on Davis getting the start, and Amir coming in on the 10minute mark.
      We shall see. It is certainly not in any of our hands.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I agree with this list, but i have to say i think weems will be a starter by the end of the season. He is not behind davis, and defiantly not behind calderon. Calderon at this point is nothing but someone who should be traded, i think weems should be ahead of all those guys, especially in his contract year, he is looking to do a lot of work.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          The win %, using a weighted average, of the opponents Amir faced as a starter was 43%. He faced the Knicks twice and the Pistons once. In the games where he faced real competition (Bulls and Hawks) he averaged 4.5 fouls a game.
          God, not that I want to support the consistent mediocrity of Buddahfan's analyses (come on, at least spell Buddha right), I think Amir's got a lot more ability than most give him credit for. I also think it's possible we could see him (or Ed) play a few minutes at the 3 spot (STRICTLY FOR DEFENSIVE PURPOSES).

Min Pts Reb Ast TO STL BLK
          04/04 GS 17 8 6 0 1 0 1
          04/06 CLE 29 16 10 1 0 0 0
          04/07 BOS 21 4 2 3 1 2 1
          04/09 ATL 35 18 13 2 1 0 2
          04/11 CHI 25 10 2 0 1 0 1
          04/12 DET 34 26 2 4 1 0 1
          04/14 NY 40 21 5 3 0 1 1

__________Min__Pts__Reb__Ast__TO__STL___BLK
          AVERAGES: 29___15___6____2____1___.5_____1

...If he's starting and putting up those numbers, he's basically playing the role of 09-10 Bargnani, minus minutes, plus hustle, and that leaves approximately 19 minutes left at the 4 spot that we could experiment with. Inevitably, he's going to have those 25 minute games, meaning Ed Davis will have more of an opportunity. If Amir's coming off the bench and putting up those numbers in a comparable number of minutes (say 26 minutes instead), I'd be even happier. I just think that he'll actually surpass his production for those games with an increased role... maybe a psychological effect in addition to his indisputable abilities to hustle, rebound offensively, be somewhat of a nuisance on D, and create some turnovers.

If Ed-D starts, well, that's a whole other ballgame. Literally.
          Last edited by philwill; Tue Aug 10, 2010, 05:54 PM. Reason: Not re-doing all those stats, but the one that matters I did
          It's about money

Comment

Oh yeah, I also would not be surprised to see Davis and/or Amir play Combo PF/C to share minutes, with a limited role for Alabi until he gets his feet under him. I mean, David Andersen, really?
            It's about money

Comment

philwill wrote: View Post
              Oh yeah, I also would not be surprised to see Davis and/or Amir play Combo PF/C to share minutes, with a limited role for Alabi until he gets his feet under him. I mean, David Andersen, really?
              yeah i dont like andersen, i would like to see for a few minutes a game them sharing the floor, could be interesting.

Comment

To be honest i think the only thing amir has over ed davis is experience from what i see and hear ed davis has a little more offence but i guess we will have to see this october.

Comment

It makes sense to pay a big Amir money off the bench if he is expected to be the first big off the bench for either your 4 or 5. That said there's no reason for him to not start unless you see Davis as a potential star.

Comment

1. Andrea Bargnani
                    2. DeMar DeRozan
                    3. Linus Kleiza
                    4. Jarret Jack
                    5. Amir Johnson
                    6. Jose Calderon
                    7. Sonny Weems
                    8. Ed Davis
                    9. Leandro Barbosa
                    10. David Andersen
                    11. Solomon Alabi
                    12. Marco Belinelli
                    13. Joey Dorsey
                    14. Reggie Evans
                    15. Marcus Banks
                    16. Dwayne Jones

Comment

Bargnani
                      Barbosa (how are all of you rating him so low?)
                      DeMar
                      Calderon (you guys shit on his talents way to much)
                      Jack
                      Weems
                      Amir
                      Linas
                      Ed Davis
                      Belinelli
                      Evans
                      Andersen
                      Banks
                      Alabi
                      Dorsey
                      Jones

Comment

I get the fact that no one likes David Anderson or the signing.

But once you watch him play offensively on the low post you will conclude he has the best post game of all the Raptors (great foot work and even better with the head fakes)

Not the defensive stud we need but watch his post up game and it will be a pleasant surprise to most of you....

As for the rankings:

1. Andrea
                        2. DD
                        3. Jack
                        4. Amir
                        5. Barbosa
                        6. Klieza
                        7. Weems
                        8. Jose
                        9. Davis
                        10. Anderson
                        11. Belli
                        rest of Alabi/Banks/Dorsey/Evans are all tied for 12th as they are not in the rotation so why bother ranking them until the crack the roation they only play due to injury foul trouble or because they are young to see what they can do...but really we will see more what they can't do....

Comment

dn66 wrote: View Post
                          1. Andrea Bargnani
                          2. DeMar DeRozan
                          3. Linus Kleiza
                          4. Jarret Jack
                          5. Amir Johnson
                          6. Jose Calderon
                          7. Sonny Weems
                          8. Ed Davis
                          9. Leandro Barbosa
                          10. David Andersen
                          11. Solomon Alabi
                          12. Marco Belinelli
                          13. Joey Dorsey
                          14. Reggie Evans
                          15. Marcus Banks
                          16. Dwayne Jones
                          Kleiza is too high, swap kleiza for barbosa and i think you have it perfectly in my opinion.

Comment

This is a pretty long article. I only posted the beginning and the end of it here. I think it is a fair analysis.

===========================

Is Amir Johnson Worth the Money?

By: Stephen Brotherston Last Updated: 8/10/10 6:08 PM ET

With the Toronto Raptors All-Star Chris Bosh on his way to Miami, the team's President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo signed his other free agent power forward to a five-year $34 million contract on the first day possible. Now that is a lot of money - $30 million in guarantees, $4 million in bonuses - for a player who has never averaged 10 points or 10 rebounds in a season.

The 23-year-old Amir Johnson had just completed his second NBA contract which made him a very young unrestricted free agent this summer and as was originally reported here when the deal was signed. "Guys are getting rewarded for being free agents this season."..................................

Is the 23-year-old power forward worth more than $30 million over five seasons? The answer has to be maybe, but we could know for sure early this season.

Johnson is unproven as a significant minutes rotation player or starter in the NBA. In short spurts and limited minutes, Johnson has shown that he has the tools to be worth his contract, and he will get his chance to play 30 minutes every game starting opening night, but we have yet to witness what Johnson can do when given his opportunity over an entire season (or even over an entire month).

However, Johnson is in the situation where he is most likely to succeed. Last season, this young gun showed obvious chemistry with the Raptors other recently anointed "young guns", Sonny Weems and DeMar DeRozan. And with the Raptors roster under-going significant changes yet again, having some elements of player chemistry in place before the season starts has to be worth something.

The Johnson contract represents the type of gamble that teams who are unwilling to play luxury tax have to make in order to compete, and by locking up a young player for five seasons at a manageable number, the Raptors are giving themselves a chance at being competitive with a modest payroll in the future.
                            http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17051
                            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Yeah, alright, it doesn't really say much.

I do agree with the bit about the luxury tax though, and the same is likely true for those ownership groups who prefer to pay less for the same type of results as those who pay more (than average, for example). Not sure where the Raptors ownership is on that right now, despite the Colangelo claims that they are cool paying the tax.
                              It's about money

Comment

Quite honestly, I think Weems will be one of our top studs.

1. Bargnani
                                2. DeRozan
                                3. Barbosa
                                4. Weems
                                5. Jack
                                6. Calderon
                                7. Davis
                                8. Klieza
                                9. Bellineli
                                10. Evans
                                11. Banks
                                12. Anderson
                                13. Alabi
                                14. Dorsey
                                15. Jones

Seeing Jack, DeRozan, Weems and Amir start would make me really happy.
                                But I would really love to see Ed get in the mix as soon as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X