HoopsWorld Chat Wrap: Raptors Related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HoopsWorld Chat Wrap: Raptors Related

WOW, someone in the media that isn't attempting to rip us a new one. Steve Kyler from HW actually compliments us somewhat.

Do you think Amir Johnson can prove to be a regular starter?

Steve Kyler: Maybe... he looked very good when he filled in last year for Chris Bosh. He has the potential to be very good and he'll get a real chance this year to prove that.
    How long do you think it will take Toronto to rebound from the loss of Bosh and Turk?

Steve Kyler:
    I think they are better today than they were last year... here's why.

Too much was about Bosh. Now the system can be about playing the best players and the hot hand.

The second is the expectations and the "gotta keep Chris happy" vibe leaves the room.

The Raptors have a solid young core that looked really good in Summer play... they will struggle a bit, but you now have 6 to 7 guys that really want to play and play for each other, rather than one All-Star that everything has to be built around.

Ed Davis was much better than expected and Amir Johnson will have a chance to prove his worth.

The Raptors won 40 games last year... it's not going to surprise me to see this team win 35 to 40 games this year.

If anyone on the roster shows up to play the star role, they could win more games because I think fundamentally they are a better team, just not nearly as proven.
    What kind of player can we expect derozan to be this year? How bout bargnani?

Steve Kyler:
    DeMar is my guy and I say this with all honesty... he shocked me at how much he improved as a shooter since the end of the year... His form looks good, his release is smoother... he has a lot more confidence in the shot.

I am not ready to call him an All-Star or anything, but his ceiling is much higher than I thought at the end of the season and I consider him a friend.

Bargs, I am not as sold on... I hope he has an Andrew Bogut type break out year, where he looks like a top pick... he has the situation for it, but based solely on his tools, he should be a Dirk Nowitzki type player and he's not nearly that good.

But here is the thing - its his team this year. Its about where he wants to go and what he wants to be known for. Bosh is gone and the offense is totally in his hands.

So I think we'll see really quickly if he's ready to be the franchise player, because that's what a top pick should be this far into his career.
    Source - Click here

The problem with relying on 6-7 guys to step up and play free flowing basketball that isn't built around a single player is that it's easy to get out of rhythm. It's not a system. With Chris Bosh there was an effective "reset button" that one could push on an offensive play. With our current roster, we don't have a reset button.

I'll be interested to see how this season plays out, and I'm certainly hoping for 35+ wins, but until I see that the players have improved in regular season play (summer league and euroleague mean little, imo), I'm remain cautiously optimistic.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
      The problem with relying on 6-7 guys to step up and play free flowing basketball that isn't built around a single player is that it's easy to get out of rhythm. It's not a system. With Chris Bosh there was an effective "reset button" that one could push on an offensive play. With our current roster, we don't have a reset button.

I'll be interested to see how this season plays out, and I'm certainly hoping for 35+ wins, but until I see that the players have improved in regular season play (summer league and euroleague mean little, imo), I'm remain cautiously optimistic.
      good point Marz. But one can also argue that without a focal point like Bosh, everybody is striving twice as hard, specially knowing the fact that with hard play and effort, you can be rewarded with the ball. Unlike when Bosh was there, players tend to get lackadaisical coz theyre not expecting to get the ball if Bosh was on the floor. If you watch the "raptors games in 6 mins" on youtube, it was frustrating to see that 90% of plays when both bosh and calderon were on the floor was calderon bringing down the ball and looking instantly for bosh. i saw this one game where calderon brought down the ball past midcourt and hedo popped up looking for a pass. calderon waived him and so hedo went around and waited on the ooposite corner, bent down both hand on this knees. calderon drove and the ball was knocked OB. wright inbounded the ball to calderon and instantly he went looking for bosh. youll see on camera, the WHOLE time, hedo stayed in the exact same position. literally. he still had his hands on his knees from when calderon waived him, when the ball was inbounded and until the raps scored. thats why i also dont blame hedo for his lack of desire. some games it was so obvious he was intentionally fouling just so he could sit on the bench.

Comment

I don't think the emphasis shifting away from Bosh will improve the team on offense. They had one of the best offenses in the league last year. I think the emphasis when Bosh was here and now should have been and should be shifting towards defense... As in actually putting effort into it.

Comment

Nice article, glad to see somebody touting the Raps for once. I agree though, its going to be uplifting for these guys to have Bosh's stagnant presence outta there. With his defensiveless shadow gone, it will be nice to see other guys step out of their former timid comfort zones and step up to hold teamates accountable on their defensive assignments. I think this is going to be a great year for Bargs. Bosh was always the focal point for the team, and I think Bargs took exception to it. He is the go to guy now, and I think he's going to be able to excel with it, especially with D-Rex making a push to be the face of the franny.

Comment

I have had an off and on running communication with Kyler through emails going back a couple of years at least. I have always found him to be fair and pretty knowledgeable basketball guy.

As I recall he primarily covers or used to at least the Nuggets.

I agree with his conclusions.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Finally, someone from the media with some independent thinking and that thinking just happens to be correct. DD has vastly improved his ball handling and shoot selection during his valuable time in LVSL action. I agree that having 6 or 7 guys that really want to play with each other and in the system will be a better option than relying on a "star" player to carry the load. I think that not having a "reset" button on offense will make the team work harder and not let up as they did too often last season when they knew they had a"reset" button. As for Bargnani, he understands better than anyone that this is his time to shine and be the most important cog in the Raptors wheel.

Comment

I think when you don't have a star that can bail you out, it all depends on good systems, defense, and effort. Having a good system that players buy into with defined roles makes for efficient scoring. Whatever you can't get on O, defense can compensate, granted there is willingness and commitment on a system there as well. Effort is the biggest thing, even the best systems won't work if players don't commit to them.

The question we first have to ask though, is if our coaching staff is capable of designing good systems and motivating our average players to buy into them.

Comment

I think this years coaching staff has to go back to a more conventional defensive system. I'm not an expert on defensive systems or switching patterns by any means, but I recall hearing about our staff trying to implement "new" systems. Clearly, these new systems were fit for the trash and should have never been used. As far as I know, PJ was brought in to fill the role of a defensive minded assistant to keep the system in order.

Comment

Working...
                  X