Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Reason Why Superstars Won't Play Here

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...-boshsbusiness

just makes me sad to see that all along, people were right, no matter how good a player you are, if youre playing in Toronto, nobody will even know who you are.

During VC's time, the Raps became a known team, but VC still never got any major endorsers chasing after him. Nike is a given, every popular basketball player usually gets a shoe contract, but i didnt see Carter ringing the bell at the NYSE, being interviewed by late night show talk hosts or being cast in print major print ads. And Bosh hasnt even played a single game in Miami yet. Correct me if im wrong but i dont think VC got the same benefits, even after winning the slam dunk.

Is this also one of the reasons that deter superstars from playing here? I mean everybody's going to say that superstars should focus on playing the game but at the end of the day, its still all about business and making money.

Jerome Williams Says Otherwise

Apollo wrote: View Post
    • The majority of basketball players today have a huge amount of money from contracts and endorsements. Even a lot more than he saw when he was in the league not too long ago.
    • Every major company who endorses via the NBA has it's Canadian base set up in Toronto and so it's a huge opportunity for guys who maybe couldn't land endorsement deals in smaller markets. Most who play in Toronto have a huge endorsement advantage over those in the states because guys in the states are competing against 360+ players where as in Canada you're battling with 15 guys, which isn't a battle because there are far more companies than players. There may be 30 elite sports athletes in Canada to compete with for endorsement deals where as the states has thousands. If you don't know that then you don't understand the professional sports business. Vince Carter had Pepsi, he had Coke. Vince Carter had Nike, he had Rebok.
    Source: Jerome Williams Hits The Nail On The Head", Raptors Republic Forums

Bosh is getting new endorsement deals because he's on a great team now, not because he's in Miami. You think he gets great pub if he playing in Indiana or Memphis right now?

Comment

VC came late in the NBA because of a lockout. He didn't have a pre-season ringing of the TSX bell. It was a short season in the NBA.
      The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
      Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
      www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
      http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
      http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

Bosh is getting new endorsement deals because he's on a great team now, not because he's in Miami. You think he gets great pub if he playing in Indiana or Memphis right now?
        I tend to agree with you and Jerome on this one.

If you are a star on Toronto there is a very good chance you could make the all star team on voting alone.

VC (as far as I remember) was Near #1 in voting every year for a stretch. Bosh got a ton of votes and recognition.

Comment

Superstars will play where there's money and winning. I don't care if we have Canada's Wonderland (not that I hate CW), or amazing beer, or a so-so waterfront. These idiot sports journalists will always find ways to bash Canada. Winning will make people stay. Mind you, LeBron was winning in Cleveland but bolted anyway. I think that the American bball player situation is completely overblown. San Antonio, Portland and Oklahoma City are not major cosmopolitans but they retain their stars because they win. Look at Durant, Duncan, etc.

PS> Let's not forget Ed Davis during the draft press conference in NYC when he was confronted by a sports journalist about keeping his receipts! Fucking receipts!

PPS> I dunno if baseball is different but the Jays players seem very content here in TO. Most of whom did not want to be traded by the first deadline!
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
            Superstars will play where there's money and winning. I don't care if we have Canada's Wonderland (not that I hate CW), or amazing beer, or a so-so waterfront. These idiot sports journalists will always find ways to bash Canada. Winning will make people stay. Mind you, LeBron was winning in Cleveland but bolted anyway. I think that the American bball player situation is completely overblown. San Antonio, Portland and Oklahoma City are not major cosmopolitans but they retain their stars because they win. Look at Durant, Duncan, etc.

PS> Let's not forget Ed Davis during the draft press conference in NYC when he was confronted by a sports journalist about keeping his receipts! Fucking receipts!

PPS> I dunno if baseball is different but the Jays players seem very content here in TO. Most of whom did not want to be traded by the first deadline!
            Good points. Altho Lebron left a winning team for a "championship" team, so I don't really think he's the exception.

Comment

We don't want those attention-grabbers anyways.
              i hope their sponsor deals keep them so busy they flunk the season.

Look at Kevin Durant.
              That's the type of player we can only hope to land and he's not doing Milk ads, is he?

Toronto's doing just fine and as mentioned, win, and all this talk goes away.

Comment

I dont think Bosh would be ringing any bells if he had signed with Minnesota. He is getting the attention because he was part of what was arguably the single most explosive pro sports transaction in North America...ever.

Believe it or not, one of the more detestable things that American pro athletes dislike about coming/leaving Canada is the customs/immigration dog&pony show all have to go through...now of course exponentially worse because of 9/11. I think I might be a bit weary of that if I had to go thru that 40 plus times in a 6 month period.

Comment

Bosh says sponsors wooing him now that he's with Heat

This is really bad for Toronto and the image of the Raptors.

NBA.COM
                  http://www.nba.com/2010/news/08/11/b...s=iref:nbahpt2
                  EW YORK (AP) -- Chris Bosh is already reaping the benefits of signing with the Miami Heat.

The All-Star forward worried about a lack of exposure when he played in Toronto. Now that he's leapt into the sports news of the summer by joining LeBron James and Dwyane Wade in the bright lights of South Beach, American companies are taking notice.
                  Bosh got his own milk mustache ad Wednesday, a sure cultural mark of celebrity. He says that deal came about only after he picked the Heat, and he's been hearing from other potential sponsors.
                  Bosh describes the change as "night and day.''

Comment

"This is really bad for Toronto and the image of the Raptors. "

Why? Because Bosh did a Milk ad? and rang the bell at the NYSE? Hope Bosh is very happy with the celebrity he has obviously craved all these years. You must believe all NBA players are built the same. You might want to check out one Kevin Durant or Roy to name a couple.

Comment

In the high days of Vinsanity he drew the largest spike in away team attendance. If that's not exposure I'm not sure what is.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                        http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...-boshsbusiness

just makes me sad to see that all along, people were right, no matter how good a player you are, if youre playing in Toronto, nobody will even know who you are.

During VC's time, the Raps became a known team, but VC still never got any major endorsers chasing after him. Nike is a given, every popular basketball player usually gets a shoe contract, but i didnt see Carter ringing the bell at the NYSE, being interviewed by late night show talk hosts or being cast in print major print ads. And Bosh hasnt even played a single game in Miami yet. Correct me if im wrong but i dont think VC got the same benefits, even after winning the slam dunk.

Is this also one of the reasons that deter superstars from playing here? I mean everybody's going to say that superstars should focus on playing the game but at the end of the day, its still all about business and making money.
                        VC didn't get recognition? He single handedly put Toronto on the map back in his days. Did you remember how much hype there was every year around all-star season with VC getting most votes? Or the anticipation of his first game against MJ? VC equaled Kobe back then. He had endorsements everywhere. Aside from Nike, he had gatorade, sports collectible card company Fleer, Cadbury, Wilson, Nerf, Microsoft. He's appeared on multiples of video games.

And selling out tickets in arenas all over the states? Could Bosh have done this in Toronto?

Bosh? Milk ad? Psh..

Agreed.

Bosh would NEVER be the leading vote getter in the NBA ASG. This is why he would never land any major endorsements in Toronto. Vince had done it 10 years ago.

Comment

I'm pretty sure after Wince Carter Left the raptors He got absolutely no exposure and never got voted in again at the All Star game. Every year Vince was in Toronto, he was voted in as a starter and had the most votes even when he was injured!. He was the face of Nike Shox which started an evolution for Nike (Dr. Funk for those who don't remember!).

Also! when he was in New Jersey, (aka, New york, a supposedly HUUGE market) I'm pretty sure their arena was emptier than the Rogers Center every game including the Playoffs!

Fuck what everyone else has to say. We just need to start winning, and I guarantee this will be the best market to play in. Now that we got rid of the cancer named Chris Bosh, we can focus on building a team, instead of catering to Rupauls ego! Last chance for Colangelo, if he can't do anything fire him and his dumbass head coach Jay Triano!

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                            "This is really bad for Toronto and the image of the Raptors. "

Why? Because Bosh did a Milk ad? and rang the bell at the NYSE? Hope Bosh is very happy with the celebrity he has obviously craved all these years. You must believe all NBA players are built the same. You might want to check out one Kevin Durant or Roy to name a couple.

You either don't get it or pretend to not get it. A Star in the league goes and says that the endorsement that he is getting now versus his time in Toronto is like Day and Night.

This is not an endorsement for Raptors and just adds to all the talks about NBA and US companies not caring about Raptors and ...

I am sure you are smarter than your post suggested and actually get the implications and the image it paints in the NBA about the Raptors and ...

Comment

JalenRose5 wrote: View Post
                              I'm pretty sure after Wince Carter Left the raptors He got absolutely no exposure and never got voted in again at the All Star game. !
                              This is not about what really happens after they leave Toronto and ... This is about the image of Toronto. This is about what people talk about and ...

Comment

Working...
                              X