Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Kleiza A Poor Man's Hedo? And Is He Even Worse Defensively?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Kleiza A Poor Man's Hedo? And Is He Even Worse Defensively?

Did we not learn that at the 3 you need players that can defend ?

Lal - Artest
    Bos - Pierce / T. Allen
    Cle - James
    Orlando - Barnes / Pietrus
    Phx - Hill / Dudley
    Dal - Marion / Butler
    OKC - Durant

In last years final 4 all 4 teams had SF's that were above average defensively. So wouldnt the formula be to i dont know, sign some SF's that can defend ?

Why sign Kleiza to a 4 year deal ??

Even Phx had some wings who were very good defenders. who are we to think that we can win w/o a 3 that can play even just average D.

If we didnt sign Kleiza, wouldnt we have been able to sign Barnes ?
    Last edited by vinnie_paz; Sat Aug 14, 2010, 06:06 PM.

Kleiza's foot-speed sucks, but he's a good rebounder and has considerable more grit than Hedo. According to Colangelo, he's looking for Kleiza to have an impact in the post, something he didn't do in Denver.

I do agree with you, good teams always have a stopper wing, and that was the thinking between BC's acquisition of Julian Wright.

Comment

yea hopefully wright can be that defensive wing who can also drive to the basket wing we have really never had. (maybe moon lol)

Comment

definitely not... kleiza is IMO alot different than hedo... probably stays out on the perimeter too much but if colangelo is planning on using him as a post up guy then he will be that much more effective... yes not very quick but he is very tough which is the number 1 difference between kleiza and turkoglu... no doubt turkoglu is a better player but if we paid hedo 10 mil last year and kleiza is gettin 4 mil (or is it 5 mil?) then it is a definitely an upgrade in terms of 'bang for the buck value'

Comment

Why Kleiza over Hedo or Barnes?

Try 25 and getting better vs 31 and getting worse.

Kleiza is tough, aggressive, and has something to prove.
          And against SF - Kleiza covered his position well, it was against PF that he had trouble defensively.

Hedo was tough, got paid, and then played when he felt like it.

Matt Barnes is 30 and has played on 7 teams in 8 years - that grit looks like it never shuts off - no team decided to keep him despite his play - and that says something!

Kleiza was a decent back-up in Denver, became a leader in Europe, and could become a very good player as a starter for Toronto - the 30-year-old non-stars are placeholders until you find someone like Kleiza to take their job.

Linas Kleiza, NBA to Greece and Back
          The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Kleiza has been in the Raps' radar for quite some time now. He does have a bit more grit and in the few games I watched with him in Denver, he's a better defender albeit not by much. He was signed by BC for his scoring and slight defence and rebounding advantage over Hedo. My concern with Kleiza is that a third of his shots come from beyond the arc and he doesn't have a great percentage. Sorry, the stat is out there but cannot provide at the moment. I cannot imagine anyone being more worse than Hedo as far as defence is concerned (oh, wait, there's the "clap" defence). He should do well here especially with a possibility that he may even start. I think it was a good signing. Anyway, stoppers do exist and they're very underrated. You have Sefolosha in OKC and M'bah A Moute in Milwaukee. Speaking of Milwaukee, I wish we had a way to acquire Ersan Ilyasova. He's the only other player I'd want in this team. He is nasty!!!

There's a pit in my stomach that says that the Raps are in for a larger trade (of blockbuster proportions). Something that might even involve Bargs. I dunno, I just have a feeling.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Kleiza will be a nice backup going forward once we draft Harrison Barnes.

Comment

Harrison Barnes yes. Can you imagine the killer B's (Bargs and Barnes)? Heck, we would have the "Young Gunz" and the "Killer B's" all in one team!
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Brasky wrote: View Post
                  Kleiza will be a nice backup going forward once we draft Harrison Barnes.
                  For you fantasy Raptors team.

Sounds good.

Now back to the real world.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                    For you fantasy Raptors team.

Sounds good.

Now back to the real world.
                    Its a good chance that Harrison Barnes will join the raptors after we see the horrible outcome of the 2010-2011 Raptors season. Its Pretty much secured the Toronto Raptors are gonna get a Top 4 Pick Plus the Miami Heats First and Second Round Picks

Comment

lankanzero wrote: View Post
                      Its a good chance that Harrison Barnes will join the raptors after we see the horrible outcome of the 2010-2011 Raptors season. Its Pretty much secured the Toronto Raptors are gonna get a Top 4 Pick Plus the Miami Heats First and Second Round Picks
                      I would hope that you would do better as GM of your fantasy team

Barnes might not as high as #3 or #4. Then again we still have a whole college season to play so he could drop out of the top five and even out of the lottery though the latter is highly unlikely. If that happens then the Real Raptors not the Fantasy Raptors might have a shot at him

Even if the Raptors wind up with a top five pick my guess is that since there is going to be another bumper crop of excellent PGs in the June 2011 draft that the Raptors will go that route with their first pick, even if that pick is as high as 10th, provided that there is still at least one highly rated PG left on the board at that time.

Jack nor Calderon are good enough to take the Raptors past the first round in the playoffs no matter who the other four guys might be that that Raptors can realistically expect to start with either of them.

Just my opinion.
                      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

As far as I know, we had a "poor man's Hedo" in Hedo last season, who had more of a negative impact on the team than positive. I can't see Kleiza sucking that much worse than what Hedo did last season, but then that's not really much of a comfort. I just hope he isn't as defensively bad than what I've been hearing lately. I've generally liked Kleiza the few times I've seen him play against the Raps the past few years. If that's the case, then once again we have 2 players (Kleiza and Wright) who bring total opposite talents (offense-defense) to the floor, when what we so desperately need is someone who can do both.
                        Last edited by jlongs; Sun Aug 15, 2010, 12:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Balls of Steel: Bargs is not going anywhere because since Rupaul left BC is giving Bargs his opportunity to take his game to the next level and prove that he was worthy of the first pick...Jose will be the last trade this offseason (possibly packaged with Evans and a draft pick)...

Comment

RaptorRoo wrote: View Post
                            Balls of Steel: Bargs is not going anywhere because since Rupaul left BC is giving Bargs his opportunity to take his game to the next level and prove that he was worthy of the first pick...Jose will be the last trade this offseason (possibly packaged with Evans and a draft pick)...
                            How much longer does BC have on his contract?

My guess is that MLSE will make it come to between keeping AB7 or keeping his job.

Right now Bargs is the face of the franchise on the court so MLSE doesn't want BC to move him.

However, if the the young guys step it up this season enough and Bargnani doesn't and more fans start calling for BC to trade him, then Bargs will be history. My guess is that will happen within 12 months unless Bargnani can pull a rabbit out his hat and figure out how to play effective team defense.

BC is investing in young quick athletic Bigs up front who can defend. Bargs while he is young is can not defend so after 10-11 he just won't fit in with the program unless he can step it up defensively.

How long does BC have left on his contract?
                            Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon Aug 16, 2010, 12:57 AM.

Comment

vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
                              Did we not learn that at the 3 you need players that can defend ?

Lal - Artest
                              Bos - Pierce / T. Allen
                              Cle - James
                              Orlando - Barnes / Pietrus
                              Phx - Hill / Dudley
                              Dal - Marion / Butler
                              OKC - Durant

This might come as surprising news to you...but James is no longer in Cleveland! I know right!?

Comment

Working...
                              X