No announcement yet.

Bargs' Defense Not Improved Over The Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems to be exactly the kind of match-up that Bargnani is poor against one-on-one: quick, big, and knows how to use both to his advantage. He kinda reminds me of Demarcus Cousins (minus the jump shot). I don't think it matters that he hasn't played a minute in the NBA (he'll be with the TWolves next season). That's like saying there aren't any good players in International ball that aren't in the NBA.

That said Bargnani's passion for defense is as nonexistent as ever. It's like he doesn't even try, and relies too much on his size. And I do hope that Colangelo takes the first few months of this season to really ask himself if Bargnani (and his job) is worth keeping. My take is still that he isn't worth anything more than a first big off the bench for offense. Good offensive player, but does not cut it as a starter due to lack of defensive skills and instincts.

Comment

Tim W: Even the greatest players in NBA history have had bad games...Don't write Bargs off just yet, and frankly you don't have a choice because he isn't going anywhere...Besides, Colangelo probably did see that game but he understands that good players have bad games and that Bargs best is yet to come...So, lets see what he does this season before you scream trade like a madman...

Comment

jlongs wrote: View Post
        Seems to be exactly the kind of match-up that Bargnani is poor against one-on-one: quick, big, and knows how to use both to his advantage. He kinda reminds me of Demarcus Cousins (minus the jump shot). I don't think it matters that he hasn't played a minute in the NBA (he'll be with the TWolves next season). That's like saying there aren't any good players in International ball that aren't in the NBA.

That said Bargnani's passion for defense is as nonexistent as ever. It's like he doesn't even try, and relies too much on his size. And I do hope that Colangelo takes the first few months of this season to really ask himself if Bargnani (and his job) is worth keeping. My take is still that he isn't worth anything more than a first big off the bench for offense. Good offensive player, but does not cut it as a starter due to lack of defensive skills and instincts.
        We all know Bargs defense is not the best, but we cant keep saying that colangelo needs to trade him just because of his poor defensive skills. You cant all be thinking that BC is so dumb that he doesnt know Bargs cant play D. He knows. Everybody knows. BC and his staff knew before they drafted bargs, im pretty sure that scouting report on him had 0 beside defense. But thats not why BC drafted him, he's a 7 footer who can create his own shot, dribble penetrate and shoot the 3. if you put a defensive center beside him, he's golden. thats why bosh never took the raps anywhere because he cant play D and neither does his center (bargs). Dirk has taken the mavs far coz he's always had damp, and now haywood. bargs was drafted for his offense and not defense so quit forcing him to play D. in the nba, you dont get players because you want to turn them into something, you get them for who they are. if youre a GM and you get an offensive minded player to get him to play defense then youre screwed. BC knows bargs cannot rebound or play D, just look at the players he's surrounding bargs now.

Comment

lol forget bargs lets sign that pekovic guy hes a beast!!!!!
          ya dun noe

Comment

I think its true that bargs needs a stud at the 5 to take care of the dirty jobs around the paint but if BC can provide this player and bargs still sruggles then what? I guess we all just have to see and wait.

Comment

jlongs wrote: View Post

I to think at some point Bargnani could be coming off of the bench if BC doesn't trade him. It will be very interesting this season to see how the Raptors fare with Bargnani non on the court. Yes very interesting indeed.

No Bosh and No Bagnani on the court. It will be very interesting. I personally think it will go a lot better than people would think at this point.

We will definitely get the chance to find out starting within a couple of months
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                We all know Bargs defense is not the best, but we cant keep saying that colangelo needs to trade him just because of his poor defensive skills. You cant all be thinking that BC is so dumb that he doesnt know Bargs cant play D. He knows. Everybody knows. BC and his staff knew before they drafted bargs, im pretty sure that scouting report on him had 0 beside defense. But thats not why BC drafted him, he's a 7 footer who can create his own shot, dribble penetrate and shoot the 3. if you put a defensive center beside him, he's golden. thats why bosh never took the raps anywhere because he cant play D and neither does his center (bargs). Dirk has taken the mavs far coz he's always had damp, and now haywood. bargs was drafted for his offense and not defense so quit forcing him to play D. in the nba, you dont get players because you want to turn them into something, you get them for who they are. if youre a GM and you get an offensive minded player to get him to play defense then youre screwed. BC knows bargs cannot rebound or play D, just look at the players he's surrounding bargs now.
                That's exactly why I would like BC to trade him (or at least get someone to start ahead of him)- the need to surround him with guys to cover up his lack of defense. I agree that had he done that with Bosh, partnered him with a defensive C (who wasn't injury prone and towards the end of his career), we might've had a more success. But Bosh imo, though not great by any means, is a far better defender than Bargnani when he wants to be. Same goes for Dirk, who is a better defender and rebounder (and has higher bball IQ imo) than Bargnani.

If there's a flaw, then my belief is you need to either fix that flaw, or replace it. I just don't think simply covering it up will do. It might work to some extent, but I doubt it will get you far.

I believe the reason BC hasn't traded him yet is because he has said time and again to give Bargnani 5 years (was it?) and then judge him then. This season marks year 5, and I just haven't seen any significant improvement, or even potential, from Bargs to qualify him as anything other than a bench player who can provide instant offense. Offense is nice, but if it's all you have and can't even provide average defense, then you just can't cut it as a starter and expect to win.

That said, I would love to be proven wrong with a better Bargnani this season.

Comment

Watched the video and yeah, Bargs played like garbage...but it stood out. His one-on-one defence usually doesn't stand out as being that bad, so I'll write this off as a bad game.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                    he's a 7 footer who can create his own shot
                    This has no real basis in reality. According to Hoopdata, he was assisted on over 75% of all his field goals. This puts him highest on the team in this category. By comparison, Amir is at 67%, Demar is at 67%, Dirk is at 61%, Rashard Lewis is at 70%...

We'll just have to see how well he performs offensively without Bosh consistently drawing the double team. If history has taught us anything, it's that Bargnani struggles without Bosh in the lineup, and his numbers plummet across the board despite the additional touches.

Comment

If Bargs doesn't come out of the gate with a new found hunger for the defensive stop in one-on-one AND team situations than trade him with Jose and completely re-shuffle the deck. We've already got Anderson coming off the bench and providing a good scoring (albeit nonexistent defensive) option.

Comment

At the 1:10 mark of the video says it all and is a "Classic Bargnani Moment". The opponent takes a 3-pointer and he's facing the wrong way (he's facing the shooter deep in the post!!!!) Not only that but if you add his cat-like reflexes, by the time he turns around, Pekovic has already grabbed the rebound and is actually up in the air to score. If you look at these videos, Bargs looks like a helpless 7-foot, 5 year-old kid in the middle of the playground. Call me a basher but I'm calling a spade, a spade!

There's also a baseline ball fake that Pekovic did not bite on and he was stripped of the ball. The 2006 draft will forever haunt the Raps!!!
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

You mean we already have the poor man's Andrea Bargnani? Dude, I agree with your statement. Someone else in the league needs to lust after this dude cuz I'm really starting to doubt his abilities.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Brasky wrote: View Post
                            This has no real basis in reality. According to Hoopdata, he was assisted on over 75% of all his field goals. This puts him highest on the team in this category. By comparison, Amir is at 67%, Demar is at 67%, Dirk is at 61%, Rashard Lewis is at 70%...

We'll just have to see how well he performs offensively without Bosh consistently drawing the double team. If history has taught us anything, it's that Bargnani struggles without Bosh in the lineup, and his numbers plummet across the board despite the additional touches.
                            He actually plays very well with Johnson.

His offense is a bit better than with Bosh.

Johnson rolls to the basket so well without the ball that he often takes two players with him thus opening up players for easy uncontested jump shots.
                            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
                              lol forget bargs lets sign that pekovic guy hes a beast!!!!!
                              Too late for that.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                                Too late for that.
                                This guy could probably still help the Raptors if he could stay healthy

He is only 46.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arvydas_Sabonis

Comment

Working...
                                X