• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is A Raptors Related 'It Must Be August' Thread - When Heroes Return

When Heroes Return
    By JOSHUA BRUSTEIN
    Published: August 20, 2010

THE scene around the basketball court at Holcombe Rucker Park in Harlem was bordering on chaos.

Two professional football players strutted back and forth, trailed by fans, while a famous hip-hop artist posed for a photograph in a corner. Children galloped around with no discernible destination. A rotund man in yellow sweat pants danced with surprising grace at center court. Two men on inline skates weaved through the crowd, capturing everything on video cameras.

The stereo system roared and the bleachers were beyond capacity as Corey Williams, 10 days into a monthlong basketball bender, pushed his way onto the court for the Entertainers Basketball Classic, a tournament that has become synonymous with street basketball since it began 30 years ago as a grudge match between rival rap groups. It is also where Mr. Williams, who grew up in the Bronx and now plays professionally overseas, made his name — literally.

“The most dangerous player in the E.B.C. — Homicide — has entered the building!” the announcer yelled into the microphone when he saw Mr. Williams, who was grinning and looking giddy as he pounded hands and grabbed shoulders. ...........................

One evening in 2005, a coach with the Toronto Raptors saw Mr. Williams dominate a game at Dyckman Park and brought him in for a tryout. This set off a series of auditions with five other National Basketball Association teams. None resulted in a contract, but Mr. Williams was named the Most Valuable Player in the Australian National Basketball League last season..............

Complete Story Here

Anyone know Who that coach was?

Why didn't the Raptors sign him?
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Scared me. I thought it said when HEDO returns
    What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

jordan-drexler wrote: View Post
      scared me. I thought it said when hedo returns
      lol

Rest assured that yours truly would never start such a thread, even in August
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

"According to Babcock, Raptors assistant coach Jim Todd saw Williams play this summer in the prestigious Entertainers Basketball Classic at New York City's storied Rucker Park and was impressed enough to convince Babcock to invite him to camp."

Read on...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball...37452-sun.html

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post

Why didn't the Raptors sign him?
          From what I recall, the reason the Raps didn't sign William's is because we had just traded Rafer Alston for Mike James during training camp and I think we had just signed Jose Calderon as a FA from Spain that summer.

Essentially, Homicide wasn't expected to make the team during his training camp 'tryout'. I think the tryout was about helping a man who deserved a break by giving his some exposure to land a contract with a professional team overseas.
          RR OG

Comment

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
            From what I recall, the reason the Raps didn't sign William's is because we had just traded Rafer Alston for Mike James during training camp and I think we had just signed Jose Calderon as a FA from Spain that summer.

Essentially, Homicide wasn't expected to make the team during his training camp 'tryout'. I think the tryout was about helping a man who deserved a break by giving his some exposure to land a contract with a professional team overseas.

Thanks

Comment

jrdyck wrote: View Post
              "According to Babcock, Raptors assistant coach Jim Todd saw Williams play this summer in the prestigious Entertainers Basketball Classic at New York City's storied Rucker Park and was impressed enough to convince Babcock to invite him to camp."

Read on...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball...37452-sun.html
              Interesting read about some Raptors history. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X