No announcement yet.

Retired Raptor Named 5th Worst NBA Player Ever On A USA National "Dream" Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retired Raptor Named 5th Worst NBA Player Ever On A USA National "Dream" Team

HOOPSWORLD
    Top 5 Worst Dream Teamers

By: Joel Brigham Last Updated: 8/25/10 12:18 AM ET

In 1992, the United States allowed professional basketball players to represent their country in international play for the first time, and the result was what will forever be known as the Dream Team. As evidenced by their recent enshrinement in the Basketball Hall of Fame, they were probably the single greatest compilation of players in the history of the game.

But despite the fact that so many elite players all came together on the same roster, there was one player who just didn't seem to fit the mold. That player was Christian Laettner, the lone collegiate athlete on the squad who, despite having a great career at Duke never really made much of a name for himself in the NBA.

That got me thinking about other Team USA players over the last 18 years, since the inception of professionals in the international game, who weren't always quite up to the exclusive level of their teammates. Laettner, of course, is on the list, but the really surprising thing is that he's not rated #1.

Here's a look at the players who were added to a Team USA roster, either for the Olympics or the World Championships, yet never quite did live up to their superstar teammates.

(Note: I'm not including the 2010 WC rosters, in case you're wondering why there's nobody from that roster on this list).

#5 – Antonio Davis (2002 World Championships) – There's no questioning that Antonio Davis was always a hard-nosed, aggressive post presence in the NBA, but his career averages of 10 points and 7.5 rebounds give the impression that he was never really more than an above-average player. He no doubt was added to the WC roster to provide some girth for the frontline, but we can't say that he's as dominant as players like Reggie Miller, Shawn Marion, Paul Pierce, Jermaine O'Neal, and several others from that same roster.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17159

Didn't Davis play for the Raptors both in 2001-02 and 2002-03?

The 2002 team then had three or was it more players that have played part of their career with the Raptors. Not too bad
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

His appearance came right after his one and only all-star appearance. He's not an all-time great but that year he was at his playing peak and earned his spot.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
      http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17159

Didn't Davis play for the Raptors both in 2001-02 and 2002-03?

The 2002 team then had three or was it more players that have played part of their career with the Raptors. Not too bad
      Other notable former Raps on Team USA's (I'll include these 3)....

Lenny Wilkins
      Antonio Davis
      Shawn Marion
      Jermaine O'neal
      Vince Carter
      Chris Bosh
      Hakeemn Olajuwan
      Chauncey Billups
      Muggsy Bogues

Comment

RecklessIndifference wrote: View Post
        Other notable former Raps on Team USA's (I'll include these 3)....

Lenny Wilkins
        Antonio Davis
        Shawn Marion
        Jermaine O'neal
        Vince Carter
        Chris Bosh
        Hakeemn Olajuwan
        Chauncey Billups
        Muggsy Bogues
        Thanks for the info.

But were any of those also on the 2002 team besides Davis, O'Neal and Marion?
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
          Thanks for the info.

But were any of those also on the 2002 team besides Davis, O'Neal and Marion?
          Nope.... just a list of former players that have played (or coached) major competition USA teams

If you are actually interested to who was on that team...

Elton Brand F 6-8 275 23 Los Angeles Clippers / Duke Los Angeles, CA
          Antonio Davis C 6-9 230 33 Toronto Raptors / UTEP Windemere, FL
          Baron Davis G 6-3 223 23 New Orleans Hornets / UCLA Charlotte, NC
          Michael Finley G 6-7 215 29 Dallas Mavericks / Wisconsin Plano, TX
          Raef LaFrentz F/C 6-11 240 26 Dallas Mavericks / Kansas Dorchester, IA
          Shawn Marion F 6-7 215 24 Phoenix Suns / UNLV Paradise Valley, AZ
          Andre Miller G 6-2 200 26 Los Angeles Clippers / Utah Compton, CA
          Reggie Miller G 6-7 195 37 Indiana Pacers / UCLA Fortville, IN
          Jermaine O’Neal C/F 6-11 242 23 Indiana Pacers / Eau Claire H. S. (SC) Indianapolis, IN
          Paul Pierce F 6-6 230 24 Boston Celtics / Kansas Waltham, MA
          Ben Wallace F 6-9 240 27 Detroit Pistons / Virginia Union Alpharetta, GA
          Jay Williams G 6-2 195 20 Chicago Bulls / Duke Plainfield, NJ
          Alternate: Nick Collison F 6-9 250 21 University of Kansas Iowa Falls, IA

Comment

Hey Hoopsworld gasbag - the team you touch yourself to under the blankets at night isn't the team. The team you fu*king send to the Worlds is the team. So stfu.

F*cking stupid Americans - no matter what team they send to the Olympics or the Worlds, it's not the "real" team because this guy or that guy isn't on the roster. And therefore, an excuse is pre-built in if the team doesn't win. And, because of this retarded logic, apparently the tournament isn't a legitimate measure of the world's best.

Without fail, every time the Olympics or FIBAs roll around, Americans show appalling disrespect for the rest of the world's teams.

And then this Hoopsworld sh*thead has the further gall to take the guys who actually dedicated time and energy to represent America and take a mighty dump on them.

Fu*k this Hoopsworld guy.

Comment

much respect @OTFP ........

Comment

the world is full of followers and ne sayers, but what I say to them is............eat a fat one ladies......are ya'll talking about PRACTCE??????

Comment

writer lost all credibility when he listed shareef as an honorable mention, the guy was 20-10 multiple seasons...

Comment

He was doing great that season, and I believed he earned it. But, overall he wasn't that great so I can see the angle that the writer is looking at it from.
                    Raptors fan for life....sadly.

Comment

Working...
                    X