No announcement yet.

The Linas Kleiza 2010 FIBA World Tournament Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BLOCKED: Tall Blacks point guard Lindsay Tait drives baseline and eventually had his shot blocked by Lithuania's Linas Kleiza during the opening game at the FIBA World Championship.

Tall Blacks fall in World Championship opener

By SCOTT PRESTON in Izmir - Stuff
    Last updated 06:39 29/08/2010

Frustration and anger for Tall Blacks after loss France shock Spain as US crush Croatia Boomers beat Jordan in Turkey Struggle awaits patchy NZ team Tall Blacks zone in on defence ahead of world champs NBA suspends three players a total of eight games Pero Cameron still in the running Five must-see games Four new faces in Tall Ferns Serbia's Nenad Krstic banned three games after brawl

There was no first-game upset for the New Zealand Tall Blacks as they fell 92-79 to Lithuania in their FIBA World Championship opener in Izmir.

Despite a game-high 37 points from shooting guard Kirk Penney, New Zealand fell victim to Lithuania's high screen-and-roll and inside presence as forward Linas Kleiza went for 27 points and eight rebounds.

Kleiza, now with the Toronto Raptors, torched the Tall Blacks with 11-of-15 shooting from the field, including 3-of-5 on three-point attempts, and was assisted by 15 points from big man Paulius Jankunas and 14 points from Jonas Maciulis.

A second quarter disaster, where the Tall Blacks were out-scored 25-10 and allowed Lithuania easy basket after easy basket, ultimately cost them the game. Although they made small runs in the third and fourth quarters, New Zealand could not find the big momentum-changing basket to seriously threaten down the stretch.

"We came out and didn't execute defensively and that set the tone for us," forward Tom Abercrombie said. "Giving up 92 points or whatever it was isn't going to win you many games.
    Tall Blacks Fall
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
    X